Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you receive order info? Was it in the app or emailed? I never received anything about ordering. Initially I thought that was why my appointment was scheduled for 8/31 and I also assumed I'd eventually receive a cancellation when I moved the appointment to 7/14. I'm wondering if they overnighted the parts after I dropped off because that was Tuesday and they did the entire job start to finish on Thursday.
Emailed - they sent me a text and told me that they couldn't do it with a mobile ranger and that my appointment was moved to early august, then followed up with the parts order email.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: bubafett and blodg1
After picking up my S on monday, I took it on the extended highway drive yesterday and I'm even more blown away by the change from AP2.0/MCU1 to AP3/MCU2. Navigate on autopilot is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was. Previously it would never move out of the passing lane, and I had no confidence that the lanes were clear during lane changes. I have it set on mad max and the level of aggressiveness is right where i like it, and awareness of cars particularly in the blind spot is gobs better, and there's no more hanging out in the passing lane. Stoplight, sign, cone, street marking visualizations are super cool.

UHFS sound is insanely better across the spectrum - actually had to turn down the bass. Maps are just smooth now. Games lost novelty pretty quickly, but Netflix is a gamechanger at supercharging stops. Sentry mode and dashcam viewer are super slick. Couldn't be happier.

Only oddball thing is that when parked, there's a halo around the car in the IC. Maybe I just never noticed it with the previous setup, but it just doesn't look right - in fact I thought I may have had a bad screen but it goes away when shifting into drive. It seems like the background gray is brighter than on my old IC.

Mine downloaded 2020.20.17 within minutes of my appointment confirmation (probably related). Now that it’s done and I’m home, a new Nav file is downloading.

Shortly after I arrived for pickup it was downloading 2020.20.17, installed when I got home, now it's installing a 2020.24 build I believe...Not sure how high it's gonna go, need to load the car up for a trip tomorrow! I'll do one more install but that's it! MCU2 speed over MCU1 is like night and day, the GPS map scrolling is silky smooth, feels like something sliding on ice. IC display pretty smooth, almost calibrated in all modes, still about 87% and 80% on smart summon and NoA, basic AP calibrated shortly after I left the service center, maybe 4-5 miles.

Had slight dash panel alignment issue with the flat carbon fiber trim on the left being pushed out and 'squishy' after install. Had same issue when my MCU1 was replaced for the yellowing screen issue. Otherwise looks good (They corrected that while I waited, thanks guys!)

Overall I'm pretty happy with this, no new display, $250 off. My display appeared to be working OK. No warranty extension on my display. I never really used the FM/AM radio, only when I remembered I had it and thought hey, lets give it a shot...then hit a commercial and said..."NO THANKS!" Oh another plus, my USB SSD is working again and indexes MUCH faster. I popped in a 512GB flash drive as well which had the TESLACAM folder and dashcam started using that right away! Woohoo, actuial dashcam and sentry mode!

Reactions: Jays200
First, I'm grateful for this forum for gathering information. My tesla is currently in service getting the MCU2 upgrade. I plan on posting when it is complete.

The first thing I have learned is this 10% scam that tesla service provides for you to use your own main console screen. I would never have called it a scam if it wasnt a frequent theme with many owners from different states. If you look up tesla screen replacement, the cost can be anywhere from $1500 to $3000 dollars (likely with labor). When you purchase the MCU2 upgrade you are purchasing the MCU2 AND the expensive screen replacement.

In my interpretation, when you are offered a $250 discount, it seems like the service center is simply "buying your screen for $250". When they have that screen, they can charge the full amount to another owner and make a huge profit. Also, I have read that the older screens have tendency to have yellowing defects that require treatment. And you dont get the extended warranty you get with the the new screen, so if your screen fails, imagine the cost to replace or fix especially out of warranty.

When I dropped off my tesla yesterday to get the upgrade, I was told I would get a new screen. When they called today, they told me MCU2 was installed but they somehow had error and forgot to install the new screen and offered me the same discount. I refused the discount and told them to install my expensive that I paid for knowing they would have to open up the dashboard again. However they couldn't charge me the labor for it since it was their mistake.

So, it's not a discount to get $250 for an expensive Tesla touchscreen. Imagine how much an owner with a failed touchscreen that would pay you to get your screen for $250 and only have to pay labor to install it. In reality if your touchscreen is good, why not just pay $2500, keep your old screen installed and keep the new screen somewhere safe in case it fails?

When you purchase the MCU2 upgrade you are purchasing the MCU2 AND the expensive screen replacement.

Technically they never said you were getting a new screen with the Infotainment Upgrade...

In reality if your touchscreen is good, why not just pay $2500, keep your old screen installed and keep the new screen somewhere safe in case it fails?

If you want to keep the old parts they charge you a $1,000 core fee...

While I don’t see any part number referenced on the paperwork, I can confirm that the IC is different. On the invoice it says updated IC but that doesn’t create pixels. This screen is much sharper!View attachment 565673View attachment 565674

That's awesome! Do you have a before after with the main screen? I think the colors are more vibrant with the newer one as well but I'm not sure

Technically they never said you were getting a new screen with the Infotainment Upgrade...

That is not the point. You are getting an expensive screen and not keeping it. Rather you are given $250 for the service to keep it.

If you want to keep the old parts they charge you a $1,000 core fee...

The core fee is for the processor, but I'm sure it could be for the screen and it's still less than the cost of the old MCU and screen replacement.

My main point is that it's better to install the new expensive screen rather than take a $250 discount.

Hi Kannangm,

They have a specific part number (not necessarily the one you were quoted)
that comes without a screen.
They reportedly are suffering from a screen shortage.

My wife's car will soon go in for the upgrade.
I have not yet been quoted for the parts...
Another consideration - Yellowing
Not sure where that is now but my 2018 X yellowed
and has been repaired successfully with the UV machine...
My wife's 2015 has never yellowed or been any type of problem...

Good luck,

Shawn

Just got confirmation last night that the part has been ordered for my 14 S P85D. With no screen, appointment is set for 07-28!

I’ll make a video of all the screens, menus, and apps before and after and post it when the install is complete.

Attachments

• E0D1D267-1DD6-4D5F-B580-767DC70AA2CD.jpeg
    E0D1D267-1DD6-4D5F-B580-767DC70AA2CD.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 80
Another consideration - Yellowing
Not sure where that is now but my 2018 X yellowed
and has been repaired successfully with the UV machine...
My wife's 2015 has never yellowed or been any type of problem...

I don’t think anyone has reported a pre-facelift (mid 2016+) car with a yellowing screen. They have a different problem with bubbles and losing their magic goo.

Just got confirmation last night that the part has been ordered for my 14 S P85D. With no screen, appointment is set for 07-28!

I’ll make a video of all the screens, menus, and apps before and after and post it when the install is complete.
That’s the same part on my invoice. I received a new IC and MCU screen though not listed on the paperwork.
D2F7BACE-0594-4D15-AC93-C3A2F40AE44F.jpeg