Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Down: Won't Power Up, and is Inaccessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say for instance the car was parked with the front bumper against a wall (so you couldn't get to the frunk emergency release mechanism) and the car was plugged into a destination charger with a wired HPC that couldn't be unplugged from the wall...

You put "go" jacks under the rear wheels and roll the car away from the wall so you can gain access to the two hook cover/12v leads to pop the Frunk.

• Helpful
Reactions: TEG
Let's say for instance the car was parked with the front bumper against a wall (so you couldn't get to the frunk emergency release mechanism) and the car was plugged into a destination charger with a wired HPC that couldn't be unplugged from the wall...

Perhaps an unlikely situation, but I could see it happen at a hotel destination charger, or in someone's cramped garage.
A little more edge than that. Unless the plug needs a lot of clearance to come out, from side shots it looks like you still get a little clearance in front of the port even if placed the nose physically touching straight into a vehicle wall.
If the 12V system is powered up via external supply, shouldn't the car be able to switch on the high voltage system and move under its own power?
I think you'd need to keep the external power source connected, unless the problem with the 12V was corrected by the reboot?

So, if your 12V is completely dead, and a plug is locked in the charging socket, is there a way to get the trunk hatch open to release the charge port lock pin?

Apparently there is a charge port manual release inside the car, but if the 12V is dead, and you can't get to the frunk to power the vehicle back up, how would you get to the charge port release?

No 12V = no alarm.

Use a coat hanger(1), pull front door's handle, put rear seats flat, crawl into the trunk...

(1) Tons of YT videos if you don't know how...

Thanks!

Most (virtually all?) other vehicles which have systems like Smart Key System (Toyota parlance) or Intelligent Key (Nissan parlance) include a mechanical key in the fob and at least 1 key hole to allow unlocking of the door if the fob dies, or fob battery or 12 volt battery dies.

Also, it is absurd that Teslas lock their connector to their car during L1 and L2 AC charging and AFAIK, keep it locked w/o providing an option to the driver to either not lock or auto-unlock when done. It causes extra complications and need for coordination w/Tesla folks at my work who share the HPWCs we have.

Most other vehicles w/J1772 inlets except for a few current offenders like (some?) Kia Soul EV, some VW e-Golfs and the BMW 3-series PHEV either don't have any charging lock or give the driver a choice as to whether to lock, don't lock or unlock when done or just unlock when finished.
My daughter had a VW Jetta (about year 2000). The battery died and the locks were electric so wouldn't open. No way to get to the battery to jump it. Tow to the dealer where they did something (I forget) to get access.

If the 12V system is powered up via external supply, shouldn't the car be able to switch on the high voltage system and move under its own power?

Yes, it just needs enough power to close the high-voltage connection. The problem is whether the 12v will retain enough power.

Since there’s no alternator, I’m curious if the 12v system can fail while driving or the 12v is powered off the main battery when it’s on?

Perhaps an unlikely situation, but I could see it happen at a hotel destination charger, or in someone's cramped garage.

Based on what I saw today, it needs very little clearance. You could probably get the circular cover open with little more than an inch or two. The red and black wires are very flexible. It’s also on the right side and you may hit the center front bumper against the wall before it can block the access.

I’ll probably put together some videos demoing this. I do have concerns about the rear doors not having a manual release. With children in car seats, it’s not possible to lower the seat backs and get out the trunk. I’m thinking those glass breaking devices should be standard issue. I’m buying a couple.

Reactions: dm33 and ikjadoon
Hopefully Tesla has logs that tell them exactly what happened to your car. I was assuming that they wanted to investigate that problem without actually putting a booster battery on it to force it to wake up. At least we know now, it does seem related to the 12v battery being dead. If the booster worked on those terminals then we know that the 12v wiring is OK. It sounds like the issue was with the 12v battery draining without being recharged properly. Like an issues with the DC/DC converter not providing enough recharge current.

Wow - 2 weeks in and already unresponsive!? Hopefully its a quick fix like a faulty 12v, but man, the 3 was going to be our only vehicle other than my bicycle. No way my wife would've tolerated this preventing her from getting around on a weekend, even if it were a one-off. Ugh, I can almost hear "your stupid Tesla won't start!" from our downstairs garage...

Was it you who posted that their wife has run out of gas on the highway a few times though? Stuff happens to cars. Kind of worse when it's your fault. We've gotten stuck in our ICE cars a few times over the years when our battery didn't charge and had to call AAA for a jump and in one case a new battery.

Reactions: 206er
Ok, I couldn't resist and I pulled the dongle in the trunk and...drumroll...it unlocked the charge cable!! Of course this is only helpful if you can gain entry into the trunk which is hard with no 12V power (but I suppose if you were in the vehicle you could access via the rear seats).

After the cable was disengaged and UMC cord removed, when I plugged back in the "T" indicator light stayed red. I removed the UMC again and after a few seconds the charge door cover closed itself. When I popped it open again it charged just fine.
IMG_9067.JPG

Ok, I couldn't resist and I pulled the dongle in the trunk and...drumroll...it unlocked the charge cable!! Of course this is only helpful if you can gain entry into the trunk which is hard with no 12V power

I wouldn't call it "hard". There are a number of steps and you have to have a 12v power source available. (So hopefully your USB battery pack/12v booster isn't in the glovebox in the Model 3 when you need it. :) )

Reactions: MarkS22
Yes, it just needs enough power to close the high-voltage connection. The problem is whether the 12v will retain enough power.

Since there’s no alternator, I’m curious if the 12v system can fail while driving or the 12v is powered off the main battery when it’s on?

It has a DC-DC converter, instead. As long as the high voltage system is on, I would guess the DC-DC converter would keep the 12V system supplied with power, but I'm not sure.

I think they have included a trickle charger in the new Model S/Xes which prevents the deep cycling from happening. Tbh I would have used a deep cycle battery or just gone to a lithium 12v battery but im sure there is some issue which prevents this being the optimal solution.

The Model S and Model X have deep cycle batteries. I see no reason why the 3 wouldn't as well. Do you have some reason to assume it doesn't?

I totally agree a lithium 12v would be an improvement but it's totally out of the price range for the "cheapest Tesla ever".

@MarkS22

You've done a hell of a job maintaining composure on explaining what "brick" means. The word has regrettably been co-opted by the first 1% of Tesla owners, but I think almost everyone else completely understood your literally-the-definition meaning. I like to add that a brick often requires very specialized (read: proprietary) repairs (i.e., JTAG) to return functionality. You know, like a Tesla ;)

An ICE car can be repaired anywhere; a phone with a dead battery can be repaired anywhere: Tesla's are different because of how many Tesla-proprietary parts are inside a tightly-guarded protocol. The car _was_ a brick. Even bricks are recoverable (an entire cottage industry surrounds fixing "bricked" phones), but you almost always need very specialized/proprietary equipment.

----

I'm not sure why almost everyone has settled on the 12V+ battery, as I think it's safe to wait for the Tesla to explain what actually happened. I applaud your efforts OP to wait it out so Tesla has a freshly bricked Model 3 to investigate. They're the professionals and they should be able to read out all the data to figure out what actually went wrong here.

Electrek had reported that July Model 3s required new HV battery packs due to poor welds, while August Model 3s required new ground terminal bolts. I wonder if both of these fixes were successfully performed on yours.

Good luck. If Tesla is brave enough to share what the actual issue was and you feel comfortable sharing, I think it'd be really interesting what the issue was, if nothing else than curiosity.