Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well done Martin!. Very well done. This is exactly as I remember it when I purchased.

It is totally clear "satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization", "in car streaming music and media" are features of the vehicle when purchasing and not some time limited thing. So is the inclusion of "location aware automatic garage door opener".'

For completeness could you please link the video in case we need to show our friends at the Tesla delivery centre?

Edited!

4819221E-6ED2-42E5-AABE-5D090541BC56.png
Wayback will be of some use in a few months. I holds off archiving for up to six months after it has crawled the page. But a very good suggestion.
Way back machine works fine for June 6 2019- allows you to go through the order process- took a screenshot of it, definitely has location aware garage on there for performance/premium interior

Attachments

• 933DFC73-695F-4701-8F2F-F2189189BDAF.png
    933DFC73-695F-4701-8F2F-F2189189BDAF.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Stratman and m4rtin
View attachment 430550
tesla 3 on order.jpg

View attachment 430559
Way back machine works fine for June 6 2019- allows you to go through the order process- took a screenshot of it, definitely has location aware garage on there for performance/premium interior

Thanks, I had checked it a several days ago and it didn't. The US site was archived and I got that screenshot but I still can't get one for AU. Maybe it is my browser!

Can someone check my maths here. According to my calculations it is cheaper for me to buy a Tesla Model 3 for 73k and sell it after five years than it would be to keep my current car and sell it after five years. It almost seems impossible.

My current car is a BMW 1 Series, which is a fantastic little car and so far has been the best car I've ever owned (beating even in the past a Subaru WRX and a convertible BMW 335i).

If I keep my current car which is worth about 17k and sell it in five years for about 8k then it has cost me 9k to own it for five years.

For the Tesla Model 3 the calculations are..

Buy Tesla Model 3 amount = $73310, position = -$73310
Sell current car for$17000, position -$56310
Save on tax over 5 years $12943, position -$43367
Save on fuel over 5 years $6052, position -$37315
Save servicing over 5 years $4000, position -$33315
Sell Tesla Model 3 after 5 years $35555, position +$2241

So with my current car I am $9000 in the hole after five years and with the Model 3 I am $2200 up.

Calculations..
Save on tax is logbook for 90 days and probably 70% business use. I work from home and have to travel a fair bit.
Save on fuel is based on driving 15000km each year which in the BMW will cost $1800 in fuel and in the Tesla $600 in electricity.
Selling price is based on a report which estimates that a Tesla Model 3 will be worth 48.5% of it's purchase price after five years.

Can someone check my maths here. According to my calculations it is cheaper for me to buy a Tesla Model 3 for 73k and sell it after five years than it would be to keep my current car and sell it after five years. It almost seems impossible.

My current car is a BMW 1 Series, which is a fantastic little car and so far has been the best car I've ever owned (beating even in the past a Subaru WRX and a convertible BMW 335i).

If I keep my current car which is worth about 17k and sell it in five years for about 8k then it has cost me 9k to own it for five years.

For the Tesla Model 3 the calculations are..

Buy Tesla Model 3 amount = $73310, position = -$73310
Sell current car for$17000, position -$56310
Save on tax over 5 years $12943, position -$43367
Save on fuel over 5 years $6052, position -$37315
Save servicing over 5 years $4000, position -$33315
Sell Tesla Model 3 after 5 years $35555, position +$2241

So with my current car I am $9000 in the hole after five years and with the Model 3 I am $2200 up.

Calculations..
Save on tax is logbook for 90 days and probably 70% business use. I work from home and have to travel a fair bit.
Save on fuel is based on driving 15000km each year which in the BMW will cost $1800 in fuel and in the Tesla $600 in electricity.
Selling price is based on a report which estimates that a Tesla Model 3 will be worth 48.5% of it's purchase price after five years.

Your maths are way out!

You forgot to put in "experience the fun factor over 5 years - $$$Priceless"

I haven't properly checked off all your figures but seem ok. The biggest unknown is if it will really be worth 48% of initial cost in 5 years. I can see the arguments for a high long term value, but suspect it will drop more much than that - e.g. the cost of new Tesla's will surely drop a lot in 5 years, or they release a new cheaper model, which will make second hand prices of Model 3's drop. I'm assuming more like about 30% of initial cost price after 5 years to be safe.
Remember you might save $6000 in fuel, but you would have tax deducted 70% of that to save maybe $1500 more on tax than you will with a Tesla.
If you have a high tax rate and can tax deduct most of it then buying a new car every 5 years does not cost you that much, but with the saving that come with a Tesla it is even better.

For anyone doing 15,000km+ a year the figures work out quite well, may not end up being as well as you've listed, we'll see. But if not going crazy on the performance model (like me :) then the figures work out well compared to even keeping a older ICE.

One thing too I haven't seen a lot of discussion on here is charging off peak to make it even cheaper to run. Different in different states but here in SA it is about half the price for off peak which was only 11pm-7am, but now also 10am-3pm due to the amount of solar we have here. So I can charge at half rates for 13 hours of the day, and even on 3 phase so at full 11kw speed.
Due to stupid previous SA gov incentives I'll be charging during the middle of the day at 18c/kw, which does not take off my solar exports and exporting the same solar as I always have, at over 58c/kw. So i'm getting paid to charge my car if I do it during the day :)

The electricity number should be close, this is using full priced power at 23c per kwh. 250 watt hour per mile, add 10% for charging losses, covert to watt hour per km = 171. Multiplied all out it comes to $589.53 to drive 15000 km.

Also regarding using off peak power I rang our power company to enquire about getting off peak added as we have gas an don't have off peak. They asked what's it for, I said it's to charge an electric car. They said that an electric car is not approved for connection to the off peak supply, only water heaters. She wasn't certain about this but she was fairly sure. This is in NSW - it might be different elsewhere.

The electricity number should be close, this is using full priced power at 23c per kwh. 250 watt hour per mile, add 10% for charging losses, covert to watt hour per km = 171. Multiplied all out it comes to $589.53 to drive 15000 km.

Also regarding using off peak power I rang our power company to enquire about getting off peak added as we have gas an don't have off peak. They asked what's it for, I said it's to charge an electric car. They said that an electric car is not approved for connection to the off peak supply, only water heaters. She wasn't certain about this but she was fairly sure. This is in NSW - it might be different elsewhere.
I have opted for Time of Use rates. If your not home much during the weekday it's ideal. The car charges at night and I pay circ 19c a KWh. 3/4 of my energy use is off peak or shoulder. The down side is $47c at peak times but I restric this to a bit of TV and warming up my dinner.

Also regarding using off peak power I rang our power company to enquire about getting off peak added as we have gas an don't have off peak. They asked what's it for, I said it's to charge an electric car. They said that an electric car is not approved for connection to the off peak supply, only water heaters. She wasn't certain about this but she was fairly sure. This is in NSW - it might be different elsewhere

While I am not advising anything against power company rules, there is almost no chance they come to audit you.

I would be very cautious with the 48.5% figure. I would stick with the ATO residual figures which would put the value at about 28 percent. That way you will be pleasantly surprised.

Looks like the press fleet of Model 3's have arrived at Alexandria. Go nuts everyone. :D
First RHD Model 3 electric cars spotted in Australia, but some buyers may have to wait | The Driven

Every time I read an article about supply constraints, I am thankful that I ordered literally every option (Perf/Red paint/white interior) except FSD. I know Tesla is so thirsty for the cash that I hope they will prioritise those orders (as they have said previously)

Also the fact that they already have a white interior here as a press car makes me think they had this planned all along.... Why would they import a test car that you can't order!?!

Also gives credence to the container ship theory.

I haven't properly checked off all your figures but seem ok. The biggest unknown is if it will really be worth 48% of initial cost in 5 years. I can see the arguments for a high long term value, but suspect it will drop more much than that - e.g. the cost of new Tesla's will surely drop a lot in 5 years, or they release a new cheaper model, which will make second hand prices of Model 3's drop. I'm assuming more like about 30% of initial cost price after 5 years to be safe.
Remember you might save $6000 in fuel, but you would have tax deducted 70% of that to save maybe $1500 more on tax than you will with a Tesla.
If you have a high tax rate and can tax deduct most of it then buying a new car every 5 years does not cost you that much, but with the saving that come with a Tesla it is even better.

For anyone doing 15,000km+ a year the figures work out quite well, may not end up being as well as you've listed, we'll see. But if not going crazy on the performance model (like me :) then the figures work out well compared to even keeping a older ICE.

One thing too I haven't seen a lot of discussion on here is charging off peak to make it even cheaper to run. Different in different states but here in SA it is about half the price for off peak which was only 11pm-7am, but now also 10am-3pm due to the amount of solar we have here. So I can charge at half rates for 13 hours of the day, and even on 3 phase so at full 11kw speed.
Due to stupid previous SA gov incentives I'll be charging during the middle of the day at 18c/kw, which does not take off my solar exports and exporting the same solar as I always have, at over 58c/kw. So i'm getting paid to charge my car if I do it during the day :)
Any new solar installations in SA loose access to off peak. They also recieve a maximum of 20c feed-in, which is from origin.

Every time I read an article about supply constraints, I am thankful that I ordered literally every option (Perf/Red paint/white interior) except FSD. I know Tesla is so thirsty for the cash that I hope they will prioritise those orders (as they have said previously)

Also the fact that they already have a white interior here as a press car makes me think they had this planned all along.... Why would they import a test car that you can't order!?!

Also gives credence to the container ship theory.
A ship leaves every 1.5 weeks or thereabouts. I suspect it will have any surplus container space filled with tesla filled containers.
1 for nz.....4 for aust (ok that ratio is a guess). This drip feed also makes delivery manageable across the country, and slowly ramps up the service teams.