Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today it is my Toyota Corolla Seca's 25th birthday.

She goes from 0 to 100 in ~5 minutes.

I am almost willing to bet that I received the lowest value trade-in for the old lady. She must also be one of the slowest cars, so I ought to have one of the highest acceleration differentials between new and old vehicle.

Given the above, I do hope that I do not total the Model 3 on the way home from the delivery centre...

Going from your 25 year old corolla the biggest thing is probably going to be the tech difference. It might take you a while to get used to it, but you're so going to love the car!

Agreed - they really need to take more care of new cars - especially as we have reports of soft paint on Model 3s
The paint on model 3 is the same as any other car, specifically a 2 pack acrylic. Solvent based 2 packs are no longer used on cars. Acrylic paint has a perception of ‘soft’. Its not tesla specific. A ceramic coating or applied film gives the paint more protection.

I did a test drive a week ago in Brisbane in a red P+. (And yes, they let me drive it) And I have to agree with everyone else who has driven one... That thing launches like a rocket. The acceleration feels way faster than my motorcycle. It is not just the acceleration, but it is more like a kick, as with other cars and motorcycles, the acceleration is kind of gradual, where on P+ it is instant and insane. It will also cause instant injection of adrenaline from adrenal glands as your nervous system gets suddenly shocked into overdrive. It is addictive feeling.
All Tesla are basically the same - nothing else comes anywhere near it.

• Love
Reactions: maveric74
Very similar experience to me with the WRX. I have a Liberty GT tuned for E85, and could even be the same turbo EJ25 engine (depending on the year).

I agree, some cars will be faster and catch
a Model 3 in the 1/4 mile, like that monster HSV :cool:. But almost nothing will be faster off the line than a Performance Model 3! And can be done over and over without needing a new clutch (at least for manual cars like mine).

And with such low speed limits in Aus, it'll be the most fun car up to the speed limit.

EDIT: I read the Corolla did 0-100 in 5sec and thought 'really :eek: I'm impressed...' Never mind, it's been a long day at work....
You'll be fine driving it home. You might use 10% pedal travel and scare yourself, but you don't have to launch it hard.

Reactions: 1st in Line
The problem is that such (avoidable) damage is rarely fixed properly. In the past I had a new BMW and Mercedes with paint defects on delivery. The 'brand new' BMW had sanding marks left under the clear coat. The Mercedes had a paint run on the bonnet (probably the result of an earlier pre-delivery attempt at paint rectification). The bonnet was repainted by a very reputable local repairer, but it was never the same. The paint was thick, soft and didn't match the rest of the car. After that I have never accepted a new car with paint defects.

I hope my Telsa arrives without defects.
Mine had a trashed wheel from the transport company. Tesla replaced it.

Today it is my Toyota Corolla Seca's 25th birthday.

She goes from 0 to 100 in ~5 minutes.

I am almost willing to bet that I received the lowest value trade-in for the old lady. She must also be one of the slowest cars, so I ought to have one of the highest acceleration differentials between new and old vehicle.

Given the above, I do hope that I do not total the Model 3 on the way home from the delivery centre...
You're not the only one. The corolla we're replacing is (only) 18 years old!

Didn't even bother getting a trade in price. Looked today at the used market though and it's worth more than I expected. Silver lining to the low nzd/aud I suppose, makes the second hand Japanese imports that much more expensive.

Also proves not enough care by transport company because there's no protection for customers cars at the front. Bug splattered, stone chipped. They should have protectors for cars up front of the semi. Syd - melb bad enough, let alone the 4000kms across the Nullabor to Perth.

Agreed - I have a 4434XX VIN - I dread the possible damage that uncovered trip is going to result in on the way to Perth...

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. That will be satisfying. The past month has not been quite what I expected. Vedaprime has become bigger profile than the person behind the Vedaprime account. Really it has been the data telling the story, Vedaprime is just the communicator.
So here is an interesting turn of events: got my tax invoice (and VIN) on Thursday afternoon on my TESLA account. I copied the document and saved it and sent to my leasing company on Friday. They acknowledged receipt. Now its no longer displayed on my account!! Yikes! However my delivery date is still listed as September 16 at 10:00am. The account does not indicate that any payment has been made by the Leasing Company (other than initial deposits of $1500 and $3000) but I now have an Order Agreement that I had not noticed before although it could have been there. This document is an Agreement to Purchase but does not specify the VIN like the Invoice (says to be assigned during Final Delivery Planning).

Ya, I'm another Perth 4434XX VIN in this first load. If we find out the cars have been shipped unprotected all this distance after waiting this long....better left unsaid what I will do...hopefully someone will get a photo of trucks leaving Melbourne and get some proof one way or the other..

Ya, I'm another Perth 4434XX VIN in this first load. If we find out the cars have been shipped unprotected all this distance after waiting this long....better left unsaid what I will do...hopefully someone will get a photo of trucks leaving Melbourne and get some proof one way or the other..

Well I mean you don't have to accept the car, that's always an option. How Tesla ships them is their business, and until you accept delivery I guess that's yours.

So here is an interesting turn of events: got my tax invoice (and VIN) on Thursday afternoon on my TESLA account. I copied the document and saved it and sent to my leasing company on Friday. They acknowledged receipt. Now its no longer displayed on my account!! Yikes! However my delivery date is still listed as September 16 at 10:00am. The account does not indicate that any payment has been made by the Leasing Company (other than initial deposits of $1500 and $3000) but I now have an Order Agreement that I had not noticed before although it could have been there. This document is an Agreement to Purchase but does not specify the VIN like the Invoice (says to be assigned during Final Delivery Planning).

This was a worry I had since I will be self registering the vehicle. Once Tesla sends me the invoice, it will be paid and I will take the invoice to register the vehicle the same day, as you don't actually need the car to register it. If any details change after the fact that could be a very awkward and expensive fix for them.

Someone mentioned Tesla bought the warehouse at 69 Cremorne St, Cremorne in 2018 ... I drove past it this arvo on the way back from Melb CBD. The carpark beside it looked like a public carpark with lots of different cars; there was no sign of anything Tesla on the front of the building. It had a different company name to that one on Google maps. The big door was closed though the side door was opened.

I headed to Tesla Richmond hoping to drop off my custom plates and to my surprised the showroom was empty. They had an S and an X and a Powerwall 2 displayed inside the showroom the last time I was there (a while ago). The doors were locked and there wasn't anyone inside. Inside the front door, there was a sign saying that the showroom has moved to Chadstone shopping centre.

The 4 superchargers were still there with a blue S charging (soon joined by a blue X). Oh yes, all 4 have been upgraded to include CCS2 combo plugs ready for Model 3 :).

My guess is Tesla is converting the Richmond showroom to handle Model 3 deliveries ... as that's the delivery address on my account.

• Informative
Reactions: maveric74

Surely they're only coordinating from Melbourne and the cars are going direct from Sydney. I don't disagree with the other things you said though.

Someone mentioned Tesla bought the warehouse at 69 Cremorne St, Cremorne in 2018 ... I drove past it this arvo on the way back from Melb CBD. The carpark beside it looked like a public carpark with lots of different cars; there was no sign of anything Tesla on the front of the building. It had a different company name to that one on Google maps. The big door was closed though the side door was opened.

I headed to Tesla Richmond hoping to drop off my custom plates and to my surprised the showroom was empty. They had an S and an X and a Powerwall 2 displayed inside the showroom the last time I was there (a while ago). The doors were locked and there wasn't anyone inside. Inside the front door, there was a sign saying that the showroom has moved to Chadstone shopping centre.

The 4 superchargers were still there with a blue S charging (soon joined by a blue X). Oh yes, all 4 have been upgraded to include CCS2 combo plugs ready for Model 3 :).

My guess is Tesla is converting the Richmond showroom to handle Model 3 deliveries ... as that's the delivery address on my account.
The Richmond showroom has been shut for a couple of months now, undoubtedly weren't meeting sales goals. Just acting as a service and delivery centre for now. As for 69 Cremorne St, there was a response on here that it was currently full of Model S and X. The property is still owned by Tesla though so presumably just a place for them to store demo cars and whatnot.

• Informative
Reactions: apchoo
This was a worry I had since I will be self registering the vehicle. Once Tesla sends me the invoice, it will be paid and I will take the invoice to register the vehicle the same day, as you don't actually need the car to register it. If any details change after the fact that could be a very awkward and expensive fix for them.
According to my invoice it appears that TESLA will register the vehicle in WA as the cost is billed on the Invoice (the licensing its cheap c.f. LCT ($5k) and WA Stamp duty of $6300)

Surely they're only coordinating from Melbourne and the cars are going direct from Sydney. I don't disagree with the other things you said though.
It seems strange to ship new cars without protection as they will just wind up with lots of minor damage claims to be repaired. Have to hope your car is behind the prime mover and not up top at the front.

Reactions: andygen21