Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
whoever gets 'on the roundabout first' has right of way and everyone else has to give way to you
Absolutely, the number of times I have to wait for a flood of cars from the right or risk getting T-boned is beyond me. The roundabout north of Hilarys on the weekend is the worst. So, yeah, the question is whether in your P3D autopilot will just YOLO it or wait for the cars to come through since its obvious they have no intention of slowing down. Then there's merging...

Is that the white SR+ by any chance? If so I drove it three weeks ago today for the first time. The Telsa guy took me down to Eat Street where we did a couple of passes to look for cops, and then said to floor it from a standing start.

I shall never forget the squeal and swearing from the back seat where my wife was sitting.

Yep, that's the one. NSW plates. Acceleration was crazy :) Can't even imagine what the Performance models are like!!

Is that the white SR+ by any chance? If so I drove it three weeks ago today for the first time. The Telsa guy took me down to Eat Street where we did a couple of passes to look for cops, and then said to floor it from a standing start.

I shall never forget the squeal and swearing from the back seat where my wife was sitting.
You are lucky, I haven't even driven the SR+ or any of the 3's. Good to see you can squeal those wheels despite the weight. Still not sure how it can be faster than a Golf GTI given that weight...
Yep, that's the one. NSW plates. Acceleration was crazy :) Can't even imagine what the Performance models are like!!
I'm gunna drag race it against my Camaro! Whoa! 2 fast cars! Yeah, bit surprising it can accelerate like that, but my Camaro being a V6 is down on power, but has a good amount of Torque (the relationship is inverse BTW). It lost grip the other day on a slight incline in the wet after taking off from the lights. I was sitting for a few seconds just watching that rubber burn. My wife asked what was happening. LOL. Torque rules in a drag race...

Reactions: drex and Togusa09
Received my car yesterday in Adelaide, hand delivered by one of the Tesla energy team members in the afternoon.
SR+ in white, looks amazing in sun light and even better at night :D Driving experience is amazing and feels like a go-kart through the hills.

Question for any SA brethren; has anyone got a recommended spot to get ceramic coating done? I wouldn't mind the added layer of protection..

Received my car yesterday in Adelaide, hand delivered by one of the Tesla energy team members in the afternoon.
SR+ in white, looks amazing in sun light and even better at night :D Driving experience is amazing and feels like a go-kart through the hills.

Question for any SA brethren; has anyone got a recommended spot to get ceramic coating done? I wouldn't mind the added layer of protection..
Is that really worth getting? I got a high-pressure cleaner for my birthday recently. I was hoping that was enough. Does anyone suggest ceramic coater that is not stupidly priced in Sydney? It is so darned expensive... BTW, mine is black. Better half didn't like the white one on display at Sydney. And she lusted after a black S until they told her the price!

Did you notice any twichiness with it being RWD? A number of the reviews have mentioned this during high speed turns along with rough ride on the bumps. I am hoping the Aus car has better shocks and been adjusted to suit Aus better.

Is that really worth getting? I got a high-pressure cleaner for my birthday recently. I was hoping that was enough. Does anyone suggest ceramic coater that is not stupidly priced in Sydney? It is so darned expensive... BTW, mine is black. Better half didn't like the white one on display at Sydney. And she lusted after a black S until they told her the price!

Check out my thread where I mention the best ceramic coating which is in Zetland. Very fair price and great service.

I personally would go for it

You are lucky, I haven't even driven the SR+ or any of the 3's. Good to see you can squeal those wheels despite the weight. Still not sure how it can be faster than a Golf GTI given that weight...

M3 SR+ is ~300kg heavier than the Golf GTi (DSG). It has about 70 more horsepower so if you apply ICE car rules that shouldn't be much faster. However Tesla has no gears to change, max torque is available from 0 revs of the motor and it's rear wheel drive (more traction off the line).

M3 SR+ is ~300kg heavier than the Golf GTi (DSG). It has about 70 more horsepower so if you apply ICE car rules that shouldn't be much faster. However Tesla has no gears to change, max torque is available from 0 revs of the motor and it's rear wheel drive (more traction off the line).

Is the DSG gearbox still rubbish? My Camaro has the old 4 speed mid 90's Commodore transmission as standard. It does the job.

And the ride over bumps? A lot have said drop the tyre pressure. Why are they so damn pumped anyway. I drive my heavy A#$ Camaro on 32lb. How many tonnes are these things?
I test drove the P+ with 20 inch wheels in the middle of Sydney CBD where the roads are s***.
I found the ride firm but more supple and less crashy that my BMW 5 series (which rides on 19s)

Is the DSG gearbox still rubbish?
If you're referring to the early type of DSGs that had the failed mechatronic unit in the Golf mk 5 and some mk 6s, no it's not the same gearbox anymore.

In my experience it was ground breaking and really fast when it first came out but since then "normal" torque converter autos have caught up considerably and are very fast. Having said that... Porsche's PDK version is very good indeed.

But I digress...no more gearboxes for us here. :D:D:D

• Funny
Reactions: ATSC
Excited for you Veda! Lot's of contribution to the folks on this forum and elsewhere!

Q: where are you checking for registration?

Google - check rego in each state
I am only looking at
Vicroads
Qld transport
NSW transport

I am not keeping a full record just enough to work out roughly qty per day and validate against the vin data I have.

For NSW, someone on Facebook is also scraping registrations.

NSW are the easiest. Sequential
Qld are becoming easier now. Mostly sequential
Victoria is the hardest. It is a mix of regos inbetween ranges sometimes.

I can’t pickup custom plates of course

I test drove the P+ with 20 inch wheels in the middle of Sydney CBD where the roads are s***.
I found the ride firm but more supple and less crashy that my BMW 5 series (which rides on 19s)
Now just need to hear my from the SR+ crowd. No one has mentioned it, so it is either good or something that can't be admitted to after spending all that cash. I am just overly concerned as I never got a test drive and yeah like it is still a lot of dosh, only cheaper than the P+ If my better half hates it, she is gunna kill me...

I know my brother got an Opticoat application done on his WRX in red and it really made the colour pop. It also meant he could wash it by just hosing the car down, no scrubbing required.

If you're referring to the early type of DSGs that had the failed mechatronic unit in the Golf mk 5 and some mk 6s, no it's not the same gearbox anymore.

In my experience it was ground breaking and really fast when it first came out but since then "normal" torque converter autos have caught up considerably and are very fast. Having said that... Porsche's PDK version is very good indeed.

But I digress...no more gearboxes for us here. :D:D:D
Actually hold that thought. I hear 2 gears are better than 1 even in EV land. Here we go again. Just like my HK Kingswood with its Dimatic!

• Funny
Reactions: stedes