Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you considering installing mud guards, here's what they'd look like with these easy to install DIY ones :).
IMG_20191004_161832.jpg IMG_20191004_161852.jpg

Correct. But it will only change to a lower speed than what you initially set it to. So if you turn it on when the speed limit is 80, it will auto change to 60 or 50 and backt to 80, but not to 100.

My SR+ finally got V10 (2019.32.11.1) on Thu 3/10. The nav data was also updated to AU-2019.24-10583.

Last night I tested if TACC would auto-change to a lower speed and it didn't :(. Car speed remained on 80kmh when it crossed over to a 70kmh stretch (new lower speed confirmed on the screen).

Does anyone else's M3 auto-change to a lower speed limit with the latest updates?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
How much? Mine will be a white one, so may be worthwhile. Do you find them necessary if exclusively driving in urban area?

I bought them on eBay AU for $27 (incl. shipping).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-Tesla-Model-3-2016-2019-4PCS-PP-Car-Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guard-Fender-Mudguard/303213232659?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

You can find youtube videos on how to install them ... pretty easy, but these are the ones where you have to drill a small 2mm pilot hole in the front wheel well plastic cover for one screw.

I don't know about their necessity in urban driving but I've always liked the look of a car with mudguards. Having said that, we were out for 2hrs last night on a rainy and wet Melb night and this morning, I noted dirt and grit on the mudguards; they would otherwise have landed on the lower chassis of the car.

My SR+ finally got V10 (2019.32.11.1) on Thu 3/10. The nav data was also updated to AU-2019.24-10583.

Last night I tested if TACC would auto-change to a lower speed and it didn't :(. Car speed remained on 80kmh when it crossed over to a 70kmh stretch (new lower speed confirmed on the screen).

Does anyone else's M3 auto-change to a lower speed limit with the latest updates?
Only works when auto steering is in use; same for S and X.

I got the V10 same time as you, but for some reason my nav data was not updated. I have done soft restart twice and one hard restart since, but still it has not got the nav data update. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that to download the new nav data?
Now the autopilot for me appears to slow down and speed up according to speed limits just fine as long as the auto steering is on.
IMG_20191005_163133.jpg

Also noticed that the speed limit the maps suggest appear to be often off here on Gold Coast. So often I have to disable the autopilot as it thinks speed in the area slows down to 50km/h, where all signs are showing increase to 70km/h and the M1 speed limits have been 60 and 80 near Robina for almost 2 years now, but the car thinks it is all 100 limit.
Would there be a recommended way to send them a notification of an error found on the map data?

Last edited:
I got the V10 same time as you, but for some reason my nav data was not updated. I have done soft restart twice and one hard restart since, but still it has not got the nav data update. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get that to download the new nav data?
Now the autopilot for me appears to slow down and speed up according to speed limits just fine as long as the auto steering is on.
View attachment 462794

When my nav data update got stuck at 1% for several days, I emailed MelbourneService _at_ tesla _dot_ com for assistance. They replied saying they could see a pending nav update to my car which had stalled because the wifi signal in the garage was too weak. After relocating my wifi AP closer to the garage, the nav update completed overnight.

Does your car have a sufficiently strong wifi signal? You could try email your Service Centre and ask if they could push the update to your car.

When my nav data update got stuck at 1% for several days, I emailed MelbourneService _at_ tesla _dot_ com for assistance. They replied saying they could see a pending nav update to my car which had stalled because the wifi signal in the garage was too weak. After relocating my wifi AP closer to the garage, the nav update completed overnight.

Does your car have a sufficiently strong wifi signal? You could try email your Service Centre and ask if they could push the update to your car.
My Wi-fi AP is literally 2m from the car, though signal strength does not appear to be 100%, It does appear to be 75% from what I can tell the icon has one dot and 3 lines and signal appears to be on the dot and 2 lines so the top line is not lit. My internet speed is 100mbps and I did download "Sea of thieves" game to my xbox today in under an hour (that's 40GB game) so speed should be sufficient. Will give it another day and if it does not start downloading it, may give Brisbane service centre a call and see if they can restart that download.

Has anyone has been able to see the speed updated to 40 in school zones? My SR+ doesn't seem to care about the school zones at all and continues with the normal speed (in Sydney). Does it depend on the school hours?

Yes, it is only active and visible when the school zone is active. (It also seems to recognise the current Victorian school holidays).

Reactions: Rastafaria
View attachment 462794
Also noticed that the speed limit the maps suggest appear to be often off here on Gold Coast. So often I have to disable the autopilot as it thinks speed in the area slows down to 50km/h, where all signs are showing increase to 70km/h and the M1 speed limits have been 60 and 80 near Robina for almost 2 years now, but the car thinks it is all 100 limit.
Would there be a recommended way to send them a notification of an error found on the map data?
I have the same experience with speed limits that are no longer correct, despite having changed quite a while ago. I’m heading into the Tesla store in Sydney tomorrow, so I’ll check with them.

I have the same experience with speed limits that are no longer correct, despite having changed quite a while ago. I’m heading into the Tesla store in Sydney tomorrow, so I’ll check with them.

I believe Tesla uses OpenStreetMaps data which is publicly crowd sourced.
Check it here.
https://www.openstreetmap.org

EDIT:
Yeah, its oudated.
I just checked OSM and they have labelled a large portion of the M1 near Robina as 100kmph.
as you can see here Way: ‪Pacific Motorway‬ (‪173019948‬) | OpenStreetMap
It also seems that a large portion of the Gold Coast is using inaccurate speed information.

Unfortunately there is nothing Tesla can really do here until people or yourself update it.
Hopefully Tesla will be able to check road signs and accurately update speedlimits instead of using outdated OSM data.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know who the makers of the 3D Maxpider floor mats are? I have tried googling for them but I only ever see companies selling them.
I want to contact them to plead with them to make some RHD versions of them. I figure if enough of us do it they will cave and make them

Sure there is. They can pay to license a higher quality GIS database instead of (or in addition to) using the free one.
Some state governments give speed-limit data out very easily.
The ones that I know of is WA and VIC, they also regularly update it.
However Queensland doesn't seem to publish that information, when I was over there the speed limits were an absolute nightmare, one time its 80 then its 90 and then its 100 they also seem to dislike speed signs.

There is probably a data-set available, but I doubt that the government would want to give it out unless they had to. The best Tesla could probably do was use a third party speed zone database? Although unless it was continously updated that would be quickly out of date.

Last edited: