Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...have been in talks with the better half about the colour. Think red is winning out over blue at this stage.

I'm a bit torn about the value of the Full Self Driving capability. I want it but without legislation that is conducive to it being used to its full potential, might feel like a waste of money right now.

Elon says it'll cost more to add at a later date...

Buying it with the car will add a fair whack of duty (damn WA government, extra $5,000 total cost of the car compared to ACT) and push it into the LCT zone if I take it in red ($860 tax all up).

What's everyone else's opinion on this - are you going to wait or take the cost up front?
My first model s, 4 years ago, promised it was capable of the imminant full self driving. Turns out it wasnt and the self driving never arrived. My 2nd model s purchased last year the same promise was made, immensely capable of the now imminant full self driving. Turns out that too was wrong as it also now isnt capable and needs more computing power. Further, the autopilot system in it is still not as good as the first one, and it still hasnt got the ability to stop at traffic lights, a feature that about 18 months ago was supposedly in the next release....still waiting.
Love my tesla, but dont fall for the full self driving fundraising marketing campaign. I’ll pay extra when it happens. So far I’ve avoided paying twice. In any case australian authorities cant even approve proper summon.

Reactions: Homer and natetm3
If it's anything like the Model S it doesn't need tint at all. The factory glass is just right (including the windscreen, which is great for keeping the car cool, even in Qld)
Dont agree, tinting made a massive difference to my model s. The side glass in no-where near dark enough for summer and lets in excessive heat. Maybe its an Adelaide problem though as I notice you and Ray are both in qld and fine without it.

Dont agree, tinting made a massive difference to my model s. The side glass in no-where near dark enough for summer and lets in excessive heat. Maybe its an Adelaide problem though as I notice you and Ray are both in qld and fine without it.
3M sell a tint that definitely keeps the car cooler. In fact you can get the same film in clear which also keeps the car cooler.
There is also a film from the states that reacts to heat and darkens to block out virtually all the heat. Not sure if it is legal on cars.

My first model s, 4 years ago, promised it was capable of the imminant full self driving. Turns out it wasnt and the self driving never arrived. My 2nd model s purchased last year the same promise was made, immensely capable of the now imminant full self driving. Turns out that too was wrong as it also now isnt capable and needs more computing power. Further, the autopilot system in it is still not as good as the first one, and it still hasnt got the ability to stop at traffic lights, a feature that about 18 months ago was supposedly in the next release....still waiting.
Love my tesla, but dont fall for the full self driving fundraising marketing campaign. I’ll pay extra when it happens. So far I’ve avoided paying twice. In any case australian authorities cant even approve proper summon.

Ok thanks for your thoughts - am going to leave it out.

Good point - getting a coloured wrap is not something that I considered. Would love it in British Racing Green.

TBG.jpg

So how many vehicles fit on those car carrier ships? 5000? Was wondering.. what if they don’t have enough orders to fill up the whole ship for Australia & NZ? They might as well fill it with the RHD vehicles that the factory has been set up for anyway- sell the additional cars as inventory to new walk up buyers perhaps? If that was the case- limiting the variability in the car options would help out there (no standard range.. interior just in black, etc...)

Got thought to Tesla customer service today and confirmed we are a low volume region and no white interior. Cannot say if/when will be available. Excepted response after Elon’s tweets and usual Tesla vagueness. Will hang off on ordering till I get some indication on the interior.
Good news is that he said it does come with the wall charger but no longer sent out early (you pick it up with the car)

Reactions: houdini
That was an official colour available on Model S up until November 2014.
When I picked up my Anza Brown car in Dec 2014, also discontinued, a green one was being delivered next door.
I think its about the only green one in Australia.

I had a chat with one of the sales reps when I was over in Melbourne around Easter time, and he reckons there's at least 2. But yes, very rare! The green he described was a bit darker. Have done a bit of searching and found this thread (the sales rep was correct): Model S Shows Its True Colors (Photos)

Shame how limited the colour range has become since those days.

Got thought to Tesla customer service today and confirmed we are a low volume region and no white interior. Cannot say if/when will be available. Excepted response after Elon’s tweets and usual Tesla vagueness. Will hang off on ordering till I get some indication on the interior.
Good news is that he said it does come with the wall charger but no longer sent out early (you pick it up with the car)

That information about the HPWC throws a bit of a spanner in the works for some new owners, it's handy to have the wall charger delivered early and installed ready to go. New owners would rather be off enjoying a car they've spent 3 years waiting for than waiting for a sparky to turn up.