Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if those that ordered on Friday were in time to get the Home-link included in the purchase price?
https://electrek.co/2019/05/31/tesla-homelink-not-standard-model-3-features-aftermarket/

Not relevant yet as it still shows on the AU web sight and I am sure Tesla is aware of Australian consumer law after the issues with this for the model S. (Although they could just ignore it again;-()
HomeLink will be removed from Model 3 Premium interior cars in North America

upload_2019-6-2_20-38-13.jpeg

Edit: although I think this is a good idea as probably lots of people don’t use this feature so making it an option should save a lot and allow SR+ buyers to install as well.

ok, just ordered a performance lite :) BUT I forgot about referral code.. is it too late to enter it now?
Tesla have said you can easily just cancel the order and re-place it with a referral code, that's the only way to have it added. Did you have a code from a mate or something? Welcome to have mine, but it should obviously go to someone that has helped you make your purchase decision!

Different plug. US Superchargers use the Tesla Proprietary Connector. Australian Superchargers use the Type 2 connector.
Understood. I didn't realize that limited communication with the car. I wish the rest of the industry had adopted the Tesla US plug. It is compact and with the communication makes everything very seamless. The CCS on the European models is bulky by comparison.

On a separate issue, I was surprised to see Homelink deleted since it is standard on most cars over about $35K (US) in the US. Contrary to the analysts who say there is a demand problem, I see a production or logistics problem. Making Homelink optional means cars can be shipped even if the modules aren't available. Modules can be shipped and installed when they become available. As for the white seats and LR RWD options, I think this is to minimize available configurations. Ships can be loaded with an estimated mix and cars assigned as they arrive. Tesla no longer builds to order. In the US you can find inventory cars. Ordering white can cause long delays. As Tesla becomes profitable and increases production capacity this may change. I think the China factory will eventually help a lot.

So true. In the 48 hours since ordering, I’ve been on here, whirlpool, Tesla and YouTube more than in the previous 2 months I reckon.
Questions that come to mind:
- Does the Model 3 come with carpet mats?
- I want to get the windows tinted, but from YouTube it looks like the back window is really tricky to tint. I don’t want my car to be the trial one that the local tint shop “has a go on” - anyone got any ideas/suggestions?
- Can I get my Tesla wall charger before I get the car? If so, how? I’d like to get it installed before the car.
A tesla delivery person will contact you soon after purchase. Have those questions ready.
Any competant window tinter will do a good job. Glass is glass. Choose a company that do plenty of expensive vehicles. Avoid cheapest price, and invest in a ceramic paint coating done by someone passionate about their work. So much easier to clean and keep clean.

So...have been in talks with the better half about the colour. Think red is winning out over blue at this stage.

I'm a bit torn about the value of the Full Self Driving capability. I want it but without legislation that is conducive to it being used to its full potential, might feel like a waste of money right now.

Elon says it'll cost more to add at a later date...

Buying it with the car will add a fair whack of duty (damn WA government, extra $5,000 total cost of the car compared to ACT) and push it into the LCT zone if I take it in red ($860 tax all up).

What's everyone else's opinion on this - are you going to wait or take the cost up front?

What's everyone else's opinion on this - are you going to wait or take the cost up front?
WA’s stamp duty is a killer!
Definitely wait, for a long time. I don’t think the technology is mature enough. Even if it were, I don’t feel the need to pay for it as FSD doesn’t do anything that I can’t do myself, it’s call driving. Not for $7000 + LCT, or for $1000. Others might feel differently.

The red colour is quite good, though not as good as the soul red that Mazda has which also happens to cost much less. Personally I find the Tesla blue rather lifeless, many
other manufacturers have much better blue. Just my opinion.

You may be right but given tesla time and what we've seen with say, the QLD supercharger rollout promised times vs. reality - it would be nice to have some confirmation. I'm going to look pretty foolish to my wife if I drop $90k on a car and we can't take it our family trip to queensland.
There is Qld Electric Hwy Queensland Electric Highway , 50 kW DC CCS2/CHADeMoe, 32 Amp 3 phase AC(you'll need a Type 2 to Type2 cable), slower than Tesla Superchargers, currently free for the time being.

WA’s stamp duty is a killer!
Definitely wait, for a long time. I don’t think the technology is mature enough. Even if it were, I don’t feel the need to pay for it as FSD doesn’t do anything that I can’t do myself, it’s call driving. Not for $7000 + LCT, or for $1000. Others might feel differently.

The red colour is quite good, though not as good as the soul red that Mazda has which also happens to cost much less. Personally I find the Tesla blue rather lifeless, many
other manufacturers have much better blue. Just my opinion.

Cheers for your input. I suppose from my perspective it's more than double the amount I've ever spent on a car (in fact almost 4 times the amount of what I spent on my current car), so as much as it sounds awesome, the more I think about it, the more I'm struggling to justify adding anything other than a paint upgrade to the SR+.

My best mate has a Mazda 3 sedan in that colour, without a doubt the best looking Mazda 3 I've seen (the hatch looks so out of proportion IMO). Our other car is a Skoda Octavia wagon in Race Blue, which is a very similar shade - Tesla is just slightly darker. I like the colour but not as much as the red.

So I think I have settled on getting a SR+. Don’t think I should wait for a LR RWD which might never come. However, I would really like a towbar, should I wait and see if one is going to be offered, or just take the chance and try to get an aftermarket one?

Tesla is clearly trying to push buyers towards paying for paint, by offering the only no cost option in solid black, which no one wants. Just about every other manufacturers offers a solid white as a standard colour, I guess Tesla is not like every other manufacturers. So to get a car in white costs $2100....