Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
Could the August date be real? So many delays but we have kept the faith and settled on the standard plus model with metallic blue color. Paid the 3k deposit and website mentioned deliveries starting in August. Total was approximately 82k. Forget saving for the kids future! We're just spending their inheritance..sure they will understand. Customised plates on the way (T5SLA3) in Navy Blue through vplates. Don't think we have been this excited since we got a classic 1973 E-Type Jag a few years ago.
Congratulations on the order, let’s see how the deliveries go in the UK. Some are suggesting the top spec models will be first, for cash flow possibly. I’m watching the UK thread like a hawk to see how it unfolds.

RACV has it on their system already? Wondering if I should get a quote as a current customer.
I called up RACQ for a quote. They said they don't have it in the system and the quote would only be valid for 30 days, so the price may differ at the time of the car arriving here, but they still gave me a quote as non customer on Gold Coast for comprehensive $1309 per year. That does not sound bad at all, if the price does not go up by the time car arrives, I am tempted to go with them. That was for Standard Plus with MSM paint.

Hey all,
Could the August date be real? So many delays but we have kept the faith and settled on the standard plus model with metallic blue color. Paid the 3k deposit and website mentioned deliveries starting in August. Total was approximately 82k. Forget saving for the kids future! We're just spending their inheritance..sure they will understand. Customised plates on the way (T5SLA3) in Navy Blue through vplates. Don't think we have been this excited since we got a classic 1973 E-Type Jag a few years ago.
To get the cars here for August they need to leave San Francisco, at latest, mid July. Tesla traditionally build overseas destination cars at the beginning of a quarter so that they had the greatest chance of arriving and being delivered by quarter end. Towards the end of the quarter they concentrate on local build cars. My guess is they will manufacture the first Model 3’s destined for Australia in early July. So yes still possible.

Reactions: baillies
To get the cars here for August they need to leave San Francisco, at latest, mid July. Tesla traditionally build overseas destination cars at the beginning of a quarter so that they had the greatest chance of arriving and being delivered by quarter end. Towards the end of the quarter they concentrate on local build cars. My guess is they will manufacture the first Model 3’s destined for Australia in early July. So yes still possible.
Someone might have a more accurate number, but tesla make around 700 model 3 per day. The australian allocation will probably be made in one day, probably the day before the port dock closes.

Shannons were $1800 for me in Melbourne burbs (garaged) - Just short of calling APIA by a couple of years :)

Speaking to RACV it was $1275 (gold member & multi policy discount) - so RACV it is .... just need to know delivery date now !!
AAMI’s price to insure my X was over 30% less than the next cheapest, although they choose the repairer
But the saving was too big to knock back

yep me too . waited 3 years all excited - now the only model I was interested in got pulled from the lineup.

Definitely only wanted the LR RWD. and if I wanted long range - I am now forced into $96449 AUD . And the only
thing that I was interested in was the extra range.
Reason is this

I normally keep cars a long time -so after you have driven a model 3 LR for say 8 years, and say the battery has degraded to the acceptable loss of say 25% - then the LR would still have usable range. Say 400 on a good day.

If you buy the SR+ , and it loses 30% due to more cycles than a LR over that time, you end up with 276 kilometers or range, provided it
a. isn't winter, and the elevation for your drive is relatively steady. If there was a bit of uphill, and the temps were cold, you may end up with say 185 kms -215 kms range - so then not quite as usable - or possibly re-sellable without a fair bit of pain in the wallet.

b. Without selling that range car cheap, or being able to buy a replacement battery for a reasonable price (Nothing announced)
then its a difficult choice.

Personally, I would hope that there was a change and we could
a. Buy the LR AWD at a price that we could afford , and that Tesla could make money on too - but I dont need awd
b. Buy a replacement battery when the time comes, and have that option clearly spelled out and communicated now to the people who
are buying your cars and helping you - like "yes " we will have a battery for you at a reasonable price to replace yours when it loses 25-30% of its range - and we will re-purpose your old battery. Get that message out.

yep me too . waited 3 years all excited - now the only model I was interested in got pulled from the lineup.

Definitely only wanted the LR RWD. and if I wanted long range - I am now forced into $96449 AUD . And the only
Reason is this

I normally keep cars a long time -so after you have driven a model 3 LR for say 8 years, and say the battery has degraded to the acceptable loss of say 25% - then the LR would still have usable range. Say 400 on a good day.

I’ve owned a Model S since 2014 and my battery is 3% lower in range than it was when I bought it. It hasn’t lost any range at all in the last 2 years. I always charge to 90% and only use superchargers rarely. I’ve charged to 100% maybe 5 times.

After 8 years your battery, particularly on a new 2170 battery pack will be nowhere near 25% down after 8 years. Maybe 5%.

Check this link out, it shows a large sample record of Tesla battery performance.
Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: nigwil

Reason is this

If you buy the SR+ , and it loses 30% due to more cycles than a LR over that time, you end up with 276 kilometers or range, provided it
a. isn't winter, and the elevation for your drive is relatively steady. If there was a bit of uphill, and the temps were cold, you may end up with say 185 kms -215 kms range - so then not quite as usable - or possibly re-sellable without a fair bit of pain in the wallet.

b. Without selling that range car cheap, or being able to buy a replacement battery for a reasonable price (Nothing announced)
then its a difficult choice.

Personally, I would hope that there was a change and we could
a. Buy the LR AWD at a price that we could afford , and that Tesla could make money on too - but I dont need awd
b. Buy a replacement battery when the time comes, and have that option clearly spelled out and communicated now to the people who
are buying your cars and helping you - like "yes " we will have a battery for you at a reasonable price to replace yours when it loses 25-30% of its range - and we will re-purpose your old battery. Get that message out.

The battery pack in a Tesla vehicle is NOT going to degrade 25% over 8 years unless it's been treated with absolute disrespect on a continual basis.
I understand you wish to purchase a long range RWD and find the short range unappealing but stop making excuses based on assumptions.
Sorry for being a bit short with you but their are potential Tesla owners that read your FUD and think it's fact.

Just noticed that my Model 3 order states the totals as "Model S"...

Anyone else have this? or am I special :cool:
gctlPuM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: erosco
For those of us wanting the LR RWD (with white interior), this is just a test. Accept the challenge and be patient. I'm saying it'll available again within 6 months. All due to the approaching end of Q2, and the need to fatten the production numbers.
Within 6 months is a little too long for me, as I need the car this year still. I could hold off maybe 2-3 months max before placing the order.

I feel the same.

What is the typical battery degradation, it is not as much as 30% at 8 years is it?
What is the cost of a replacement battery for model S? Say for the 60 or 75?
Hi ,
From the post below, it seems that the battery degradation isn't that bad at this point, for sure.
and if it less than 10% , at 8 years, that will be great. So I was using the figures that Tesla use as their guarantee.
I think it is guarantee 70% of the battery range for the whole 8 years? (So up to 30% and no new battery)
Like I said, great if at 8 years it is only 10% or less - everyone will be happy.

As to the possible replacement costs , maybe someone else has an idea? (if its only a 10% or less degradation I guess
who cares for the next 8 years)

ps1. my intention wasnt to alarm anyone.
ps 2. Thanks for those posting real world batt losses.. good to know.