Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As perkz said, I am talking about AC chargers, so no they dont have CCS2, just a type 2 socket with BYO cable.
Most Queensland Electric Super Highway locations have both a 50kw CHAdeMO/CCS2 DC charger and a 22kw Type 2 adapter (note these AC units aren't chargers) with no cable; for these you need a type2 to type 2 cable.
The AC unit is for when the DC charger is broken which happens *a lot*. Therefore carry the type 2 to type 2 cable if venturing into North Queensland.

• Informative
Reactions: Vegas and smithy
I’ll have to keep an eye out - never come across one here in Sydney!

Top Ryde City needs a cable and I think quite a few others in shopping centres do, some have Tesla destination chargers co-located so these would be OK. Really depends if you will be charging whist shopping (Also depends on pricing) or only at home. As mentioned some/most DC chargers also have AC backup that requires a cable.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

You can probably check other shopping centres near you on plugshare if you haven't already.

I ordered the Tesla Aero nut and cap kit and a spare UMC 14-50 adapter direct from Tesla using a US shipping address through NZ Post.
- All the after market wheel caps I found were black not dark grey so would look a bit meh.
- I think I should be able to cut the plug off the UMC 14-50 adapter and rewire it to a blue 16A Commando plug for use in campsites.

im sure that this is the reason too. All they have to do is for the Australian version to not install the browser packet from the Tesla/Ubuntu Repository. Probably took less than 30 seconds to implement.
Unlikely.
More likely is it is completely installed but the icon is hidden. That way everyone can get the same package worldwide, with just the config items adjusted for locals.

Currently in Vienna, happened to walk pass a Tesla centre, which had a model 3.
I sat in it and played with the screen for a few minutes.

My impressions:
It is not particularly attractive looking, certainly not sporty looking. The interior is bland, though seems spacious enough.
The fit and finish seems fine. The “immersive” stereo sounds good for a factory system, but lacks low end.
Overall, looks and feels like a $50k car.
Perhaps it makes up for it with how it drives, and being an EV, it is expected to cost more.

Attachments

• B57E6E2D-3C09-4AB4-9DDE-5142D251D626.jpeg
    B57E6E2D-3C09-4AB4-9DDE-5142D251D626.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Apologies if this has been answered before: how do we get the wheel cap and nut cover kit for our aero wheel conversion? Do we have to drop ship it from the US online store?

Following on from this, does anyone know if the prices for Tesla accessories in Australia are more expensive than in the US? (Accounting for GST / Sales Tax of course). I can see all the US prices on shop.tesla.com, but the Aussie site just has a PDF catalogue (only for Model S/X at the moment) with no prices.

Anyone here bought some accessories from Tesla in Aus and done a price comparison?

Reason I’m asking is that I’m in the US at the moment, so could potentially grab some here, but lugging a set of Model 3 carpet mats halfway around the world seems like overkill unless I’m going to save $$$.

Currently in Vienna, happened to walk pass a Tesla centre, which had a model 3.
I sat in it and played with the screen for a few minutes.

My impressions:
It is not particularly attractive looking, certainly not sporty looking. The interior is bland, though seems spacious enough.
The fit and finish seems fine. The “immersive” stereo sounds good for a factory system, but lacks low end.
Overall, looks and feels like a $50k car.
Perhaps it makes up for it with how it drives, and being an EV, it is expected to cost more.

without a long bonnet or at least a longish sloped boot the car will never be sporty looking. It is just the reality that EVs will never look as attractive as ICE's. A very sporty looking EV is a design compromise.
With the Model S Tesla had a much longer hood than really appropriate for an EV and we all know how huge the boot is.

To be honest, Tesla is already compromising slightly with the front of the Model 3. Ideally the front would look like a waterdrop which would make it very goofy/beetle looking. There is someone who changed the front of the Model 3 to be more aerodynamic on youtube which looked very goofy indeed but is no doubt the better car.

maxresdefault.jpg

Would you want your car to look like that?
The interior is bland but some people like me really, really love the minimalistic look that Tesla's vehicles have from the inside. If it were up to me I'd get rid of the doorbins and all storage areas apart from the centre console. Nothing worse than a thousand buttons, stitchings, bins etc. I do agree that it does not look luxurious for the 70-100k people pay here but also keep in mind that the vehicle is much cheaper in the states and an EV is always 10-30% more expensive than a comparable ICE Car.

The sound system is one of the best on the market, not sure what you are on about.

To be honest, Tesla is already compromising slightly with the front of the Model 3. Ideally the front would look like a waterdrop which would make it very goofy/beetle looking. There is someone who changed the front of the Model 3 to be more aerodynamic on youtube which looked very goofy indeed but is no doubt the better car.
Not entirely true, the teardrop shape is more aerodynamic without a road. However, with a road (not a wing in open air), you want to scoop the air over the and around the body. The underside of Tesla’s are very smooth, much better than most ice vehicles, because of this aerodynamic problem. Practicality says, you need to be able to drive into a driveway, otherwise all cars would be lower to the road, improving drag. Also, you don’t want any lift, you want down force, as speed increases. This also increases drag, unfortunately.