Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V1 they promised it would. It wont.
V2 they promised it would. It wont.
V2.5 they promised it would. It wont.
V3 they promised it would. Will it?
Did you watch the autonomy day presentation?
It’s gives big insights into the new computer’s capabilities.
IIRC, in testing FSD has only been using around 20% of the processing potential & it uses less power than 2.5 at around 70 watts per kilometre (or 1 kilowatt per 15km).

Reactions: T3SLA3
V1 they promised it would. It wont.
V2 they promised it would. It wont.
V2.5 they promised it would. It wont.
V3 they promised it would. Will it?

Fair enough given your early adoption and historical experience. Certainly can understand your warranted skepticism.
How about we revisit this post in 12 months and see the level of FSD improvement (both LHD & RHD) or not?!

I think there is ongoing micro progress toward FSD each iteration. But it seems there is still MACRO progress required before FSD is reality for the masses.

I'm buying the car for what it is now. Certainly hoping for the FSD promises to come to fruition with this V3 hardware, I'm certainly looking forward to whatever other new and improved functionality that comes our way by choosing Tesla as our EV. BUT, being quietly realistic about FSD given the history, not to mention too, that we are in Aus and having nothing like the volume of data that the US has. I'm sure RHD will throw up its own challenges for the coders.

The model 3 is a great EV possibly the best currently available all things considered. Lets enjoy them when they arrive....

I’m also not buying the promise that ‘this time the hardware is capable of FSD for when the software catches up’....heard that for each of the past 3 versions.
Yes, the possibility that the FSD computer plus existing sensors will not be able to deliver FSD is one reason I am definitely buying it now. Then I will have a better chance of getting any extra hardware if it is necessary in the end.
That worked for my S100D for which I paid about $5400 for FSD, and am promised a free upgrade to the FSD computer and entry into the early access programme.

Reactions: T3SLA3
Have you all seen this.
Model 3 Power Liftgate (Soft Closing) – Tesla Offer
Looks pretty impressive, plus integrates with the Tesla app perfectly. Might buy it after a month or 2 with the car.
Shipping to aus adds another US$87 to the price
Can someone explain the benefit of these??

If you’re carrying that much stuff that you can’t open the trunk, then how is balancing on 1 leg and waving your other leg around under the car any better?

Maybe open the trunk first or put the stuff you’re carrying on the ground and then open?

Can someone explain the benefit of these??

If you’re carrying that much stuff that you can’t open the trunk, then how is balancing on 1 leg and waving your other leg around under the car any better?

Maybe open the trunk first or put the stuff you’re carrying on the ground and then open?
An electric tailgate on a wagon is great, I’ve never had success in using the gesture opening (kick) when I actually could have used it.. maybe that’s because it’s a JLR product though.. To me, it’s one of those unnecessary gimmicks that cars "need" to offer these days. On the model 3, the boot is quite small and probably easy enough to operate without electric assistance, IMO.

I'm buying the car for what it is now.

Crucial. If you don't do this you will not be happy with it. My AP1 car will never do FSD and that's fine with me. I rarely use AP (but I use TACC all the time, it's brilliant). I've always been an electric car nut but I bought it because it was a great car, full stop. Not for a moment since have I regretted it. One day, if I and the car live that long, I'd like a later-HW car just to see what it can do then, but no hurry.

Reactions: Stratman
Yes, the possibility that the FSD computer plus existing sensors will not be able to deliver FSD is one reason I am definitely buying it now. Then I will have a better chance of getting any extra hardware if it is necessary in the end.
That worked for my S100D for which I paid about $5400 for FSD, and am promised a free upgrade to the FSD computer and entry into the early access programme.
For us in Australia, I don't think it matters if the hardware or software can do FSD, as our legislation to allow that will take a few years after the rest of the world allows it. Looking at the legislation for the current features, we cant have most of the current EAP features allowed in other countries, with the driver still responsible and in command of the car or even have a web browser. So when purchasing the car don't expect too much. When it happens later it will be a nice bonus, but for the near future expect the car to come as it is and ignore the fluff about future abilities.

We have been working with the autonomous vehicle unit in WA for over a year now - demos and interviews. They are drafting legislation to transfer responsibility from the driver to the car as soon as the superior safety record is demonstrated. In the meantime they are encouraging all features ( incl browser when parked!) to be rolled out here, with the hands on wheel proviso for the moment.

Fair enough given your early adoption and historical experience. Certainly can understand your warranted skepticism.
How about we revisit this post in 12 months and see the level of FSD improvement (both LHD & RHD) or not?!

I think there is ongoing micro progress toward FSD each iteration. But it seems there is still MACRO progress required before FSD is reality for the masses.

I'm buying the car for what it is now. Certainly hoping for the FSD promises to come to fruition with this V3 hardware, I'm certainly looking forward to whatever other new and improved functionality that comes our way by choosing Tesla as our EV. BUT, being quietly realistic about FSD given the history, not to mention too, that we are in Aus and having nothing like the volume of data that the US has. I'm sure RHD will throw up its own challenges for the coders.

The model 3 is a great EV possibly the best currently available all things considered. Lets enjoy them when they arrive....
My comments are not intended to take anything away from the fact that my tesla is an incredible car that is a pleasure to drive

Reactions: Stratman
First version model s buyers were promised homelink. Now homelink is available tesla are not upgrading those buyers to homelink.

2nd generation of the new chip promises to be of so much greater power and function than the current chip in all new Teslas. It's like a smart phone - after a year or so it's just so passe.
When FSD becomes a reality in Australia, it is possible that no one can have a licence anymore. At least you can sit there playing games.

Reactions: Techno-phile
First version model s buyers were promised homelink. Now homelink is available tesla are not upgrading those buyers to homelink.

Correct, I was promised my car would rock up to home, I’d step out and the car would open the garage and then the car would park itself....not only doesn’t it open the garage, which was blamed on lack of approval in Australia (but approval coming was promised at purchase time) however after waiting over 3 years and homelink now working on my wife’s Model X I find out I don’t even have the darn hardware in my Model S...what dah?! Seriously?!

The adapters have a wired resistor to indicate max amperage. Would not do that. There is a separate adapter to 16A and 32A monophase CEE plugs...

See e.g. Tesla Model S / X / 3 Gen 2 Charging Adapters
This was true for Gen 1 but not Gen 2. Gen 2 uses a chip. The tone of your post, however, is correct. There is a good reason to stay with the Tesla adapters and not circumvent the system. See this article: For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part I | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3 and aegidius
2nd generation of the new chip promises to be of so much greater power and function than the current chip in all new Teslas. It's like a smart phone - after a year or so it's just so passe.
When FSD becomes a reality in Australia, it is possible that no one can have a licence anymore. At least you can sit there playing games.
There is no car currently available from any manufacturer that will achieve hands off no need to participate driving, but at least we have the games.