Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting is not much fun. To save constantly refreshing your order page (and/or the build configurator) a couple of you have suggested talking about the accessories you have ordered.

I'll join in. These are on the way to either here or my US address.

From AliExpress

Glass Screen Protector and clear protective wrap for the console.

From Tesla USA

Model S/X/3 Paint Repair Kit
Deep Blue Metallic (PPSB)
SKU: 9000002-DB-A
QTY: 1 $55.00

(Best way NOT to get a stone chip is to have wasted money on the repair kit)

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade
Rear
SKU: 1135833-00-B
QTY: 1 $90.00

(A test to see what it is like just in the rear - Front may, or may not, follow)

Model 3 Key Fob
SKU: 1449859-00-F
QTY: 1 $150.00

(pure vanity- also if I lend the car to a friend they will understand the concept of how to get in and start it AND GIVE THE FOB BACK)

Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit
Black/Gray
SKU: 1458216-00-A
QTY: 2 $100.00

(I ordered 2 as they seem to be not easy to get in Australia)

Wireless Phone mat is the next and I have reached out to an Aust importer of the company who make the OEM Frunk and Trunk Matts for TESLA to see if they would be willing to stock them soon and maybe do a group buy. They are too bulky to import 1 off. I'll let you know the response.

Floor mats I have not looked into yet as all sources I have appear to be LHD.

• Informative
Reactions: jontyh and Stratman
I have the glass roof sunshade for the model S. If the 3 has the same quality of glass as the S then the sunshade is a waste of money. Been through a full adelaide summer. Never used it. Even on a 44 degree day I didnt feel the need to flip it out.

Excellent... I won't need to buy the front in that case! It's always good to get feedback from people who have done things before and this is the benefit of an enthusiast forum. Let's hope the standard glass on the 3 is the same. We should soon know.

So just to bring back up an old topic, what is the current situation with charging in Aus for the M3?
Tesla superchargers will all be getting ccs Type 2 charging cables, but what's the deal with chargefox, jetcharge, NRMA chargers etc etc?
Someone mentioned earlier that we will need to supply our own cables to charge at some of these?
I was assuming I may need a couple of adapters maybe, but I didn't think I would need to carry around several different big heavy (and expensive) cables in the car to use one of these public chargers.
What's the situation like for all of you that currently own a MS or MX?

Someone mentioned earlier that we will need to supply our own cables to charge at some of these?
I was assuming I may need a couple of adapters maybe, but I didn't think I would need to carry around several different big heavy (and expensive) cables in the car to use one of these public chargers.

I am in Melbourne Eastern suburbs, and have looked closely at all my local charging points. They are basically one of 4 types
- Tesla destination chargers - these have a Type 2 or Mennekes plug on the the end of a cable, and plug straight in to a M3
- CCS2 fast chargers (including Tesla superchargers)- not many but a few,. these have a CCS2 plug on the end of a cable and also plug straight in to a M3, nothing else needed
- Chargers with Type 2 or Mennekes socket but no cable. For these you will need to buy a Type 2 to type 2 cable.
- Chargers with Type 1 or J1772 plug on the end of a cable - for these you need to buy a J1772 to Type 2 converter.

I have bought these last 2, and should cover all use in the metro area, and will keep them in the boot. There is one #3 close by and 2 of #4 fairly close also.

. You can also buy 3 phase and 15A plugs for the UMC that you get with the car if you travel in more regional areas, or loan them from Tesla Owners Club of Australia if you join them.

• Informative
Reactions: m4rtin
All of these vessels are following patterns of delivering Japanese, Korean and German cars.

London Highway has gone to Benicia instead of SFO Pier 80. If it is done with all its deliveries, it could be tasked with picking up Tesla cars.
Glovis Countess has already headed back to Korea from Benicia.
Glovis Safety is on its way to Benicia, it could pick up Teslas if it is empty of German cars after that.
Glovis Phonenix is still unloading Korean cars. It could unload more at Benicia, possibly available after that.

The good news is that RHD is confirmed going down the production line and Pier 80 is filling with cars. Now we get to see where they go. Definitely at least one vessel to Europe soon and hopefully one going to AUS / NZ soon too.

london highway has sailed for japan, so cross that one off. safety looking the best bet, but given that the pier has a mix of LHD and RHD it seems like there must be a europe bound boat, too.

london highway has sailed for japan, so cross that one off. safety looking the best bet, but given that the pier has a mix of LHD and RHD it seems like there must be a europe bound boat, too.

Given our low volume, is it not possible our cars will be containerized out of Oakland (SFO) or railed to the east coast and loaded on car carriers from there? Tesla used to do this for S/X I believe, and there are a number of suitable ships very soon that match our shipping routes via Auckland to Sydney. We also need more RHD VINs to cover the UK orders (>6000 now) plus AU/NZ and other RHD markets.

Given our low volume, is it not possible our cars will be containerized out of Oakland (SFO) or railed to the east coast and loaded on car carriers from there? Tesla used to do this for S/X I believe, and there are a number of suitable ships very soon that match our shipping routes via Auckland to Sydney. We also need more RHD VINs to cover the UK orders (>6000 now) plus AU/NZ and other RHD markets.

yeah I guess it depends on the volume, and nobody really knows! Most people seem to be assuming roro, but perhaps only because that's more fun to try to track down. As you say, if they containerise we won't know until they land.

Rob Dickinson on twitter just reported Tesla NZ unofficially (rumour) quoting leaving this week and arriving New Zealand 2nd week August. We have heard this type of thing before from random Tesla staff. Could be pure guessing on their part.

Rob Dickinson on Twitter

Glovis Safety is at Benicia in sfo, not at port 80. Could be unloading or loading.
Triumph Ace is heading to sfo, due tomorrow

At port 80 -
Both LHD, and RHD vehicles have been spotted on the pier
A very large number are black interiors and non performance

- Chargers with Type 2 or Mennekes socket but no cable. For these you will need to buy a Type 2 to type 2 cable.

All the Queensland Superhighway points have 50kW CCS DC chargers and 2x Type 2 sockets - b.y.o leads. So I've ordered this from Aliexpress so if and when I turn up to a point and the DC charger is broken or busy I can still get 11kW from the Type 2.

- Chargers with Type 1 or J1772 plug on the end of a cable - for these you need to buy a J1772 to Type 2 converter.

And one of these. Its small, light and cheap.

You can also buy 3 phase and 15A plugs for the UMC that you get with the car if you travel in more regional areas, or loan them from Tesla Owners Club of Australia if you join them.

I'm building an OpenEVSE for my house so I'll be able to turn the HPWC into a portable 3 phase 11kw solution, I hope.

Feel free to mock me for plugging home made and chinesium bits into my $90k car o_O:D

• Informative
Reactions: T3SLA3