Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd put AU/NZ orders at around 1500 at July 31. Reasoning; ~3600 S/X in AU vs ~20000 in UK, or, AU 1% global Tesla market Vs UK 5%, both ratios ~20% of UK share, then add another 5% of UK for NZ. Google docs has UK Model 3 orders at ~6000, so 25% of that is 1500. That's <1/3 of a RoRo vessel capacity, so the Teslas would have to be in the company of other makes to make it viable. Containers make sense to stagger the deliveries so it's a more orderly delivery and storage situation - and it's regular shipping service.
Interesting calcs. UK get white seat option dont they? Hence you may need a discount for postponed sales based on interior colour

Like I said in my other posts, if you haven't been allocated a VIN yet then your car hasn't even entered production, let alone be on the wharf. I've asked a few times if anyone here has been allocated a VIN yet, but the silence has been deafening, so I'll take that as a no. On that basis you'll be lucky to see your car by the end of August (maybe the last couple of days of August assuming you are assigned a VIN in the next week)

Vedaprime, you disagreed with most post, but didn't offer any explanation. What did you disagree with? I'd be delighted to see model 3s here sooner, but I've been through the process with an S and I'm assuming it's the same sequence as the 3. But so far no one has said they have actually been allocated a VIN. If you haven't been allocated a VIN your car isn't in production and therefore isn't ready for shipping

Vedaprime, you disagreed with most post, but didn't offer any explanation. What did you disagree with? I'd be delighted to see model 3s here sooner, but I've been through the process with an S and I'm assuming it's the same sequence as the 3. But so far no one has said they have actually been allocated a VIN. If you haven't been allocated a VIN your car isn't in production and therefore isn't ready for shipping

We all are entitled to our opinion. There are plenty of mixed UK experiences of people not being assigned VINs discussed on various forums and having vin assignment close to delivery once the boats landed or very close to delivery. It might have happened to you that way, but it is not happening to everyone that way with these Model 3s. In addition, Elon has said 3s are not all custom builds in the factory. They are building a whole bunch of car configs in batches.

Last edited:
For those on this Vin code search. You can try this method. Others have had some success, where the VIN is in the source code but not diplayed on page yet

How to check Source code

1. Login to your Tesla Account
  2. Click "Manage"
  3. when that page loads, right click and choose "View Source"
  4. Hold CTRL and press F to search the page.
  5. Type 5YJ3
  6. If you get a result then thats the VIN number that has been allocated to your account.

• Funny
Reactions: turbice and jontyh
Anyone got any experience regarding those chinese UMCs?

OEM UMC Charger Charging Cable Harness 1058220-00-E For Tesla Model X EU Plug | eBay

Thinking about buying one re: 3 phase charging.

If your planning on three phase charging it's highly likely it's going to be in isolated areas with very little alternative, for that reason I would stick with the 3 different charging cable options that have been proven reliable consistently over recent years in Australia:
1. The Juice booster may be expensive at $2200 but by all reports robust and reliable.
2. The EVnomics three phase tail plus Tesla Euro adaptor, less than $400 but limited to 16amps three phase (11kw)
3. A spare Tesla HPWC with correctly fitted 5 pin three phase plug, this will provide the full 32amp three phase for vehicles that can handle it but is slightly awkward to store in the vehicle. The Tesla HPWC is not intended for portable use so handle with care and make sure it's a low cost spare unit that's expendable.

There are plenty of mixed UK experiences of people not being assigned VINs discussed on various forums and having vin assignment close to delivery once the boats landed or very close to delivery

I guess my point is that not a single person here has responded saying they have a VIN assigned, which suggests that no orders from Aust have progressed to production yet. They may be making a batch, but it is highly unlikely they are going to produce a bunch of RHD models in various configurations in the off chance they will match what has been ordered. They may do that for a small percentage, but most of the production will be matched with orders (they might be doing it differently for LHD as they are producing and selling vastly more), otherwise they might end up with a lot of surplus production that doesn't match ordered configurations, which is what a manufacturer never wants.
Hope to be proven wrong, but I can't see anyone here getting their car before the last week of August

Reactions: paulp
If your planning on three phase charging it's highly likely it's going to be in isolated areas with very little alternative, for that reason I would stick with the 3 different charging cable options that have been proven reliable consistently over recent years in Australia:
1. The Juice booster may be expensive at $2200 but by all reports robust and reliable.
2. The EVnomics three phase tail plus Tesla Euro adaptor, less than $400 but limited to 16amps three phase (11kw)
3. A spare Tesla HPWC with correctly fitted 5 pin three phase plug, this will provide the full 32amp three phase for vehicles that can handle it but is slightly awkward to store in the vehicle. The Tesla HPWC is not intended for portable use so handle with care and make sure it's a low cost spare unit that's expendable.

2. is exactly my question. There is no point getting the EVnomics tail and adaptor because the european (and australian) UMCs do not support 3 phase anymore. As such one needs to get a new UMC, hence i posted this chinese UMC

We all are entitled to our opinion. There are plenty of mixed UK experiences of people not being assigned VINs discussed on various forums and having vin assignment close to delivery once the boats landed or very close to delivery. It might have happened to you that way, but it is not happening to everyone that way with these Model 3s. In addition, Elon has said 3s are not all custom builds in the factory. They are building a whole bunch of car configs in batches.
I agree with @smithy that since we have no confirmations from anyone getting a VIN in Aus assigned, it is more likely than not that the cars have not been made yet. I suspect that with the UK example, they had plenty assigned and if someone could not get their financing sorted or needed to postpone the pickup, they reassigned those vehicles as soon as they found out and this would account for some people getting VIN-s while the car was in transit, but for the car to start the transit, they would assign it to someone before.

2. is exactly my question. There is no point getting the EVnomics tail and adaptor because the european (and australian) UMCs do not support 3 phase anymore. As such one needs to get a new UMC, hence i posted this chinese UMC

The next question is will the aftermarket UMC intended for a model X work effectively with a m3 in Australia, maybe it's worth trying an original Australian UMC first to see how it functions.
Here's a long but interesting write up on the latest UMC- For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II | CleanTechnica

The next question is will the aftermarket UMC intended for a model X work effectively with a m3 in Australia, maybe it's worth trying an original Australian UMC first to see how it functions.
Here's a long but interesting write up on the latest UMC- For Tesla End-To-End Charging, There's Supercharging & Destination Charging. For Everything Else, There's The Mobile Connector — Part II | CleanTechnica

indeed. though i might not have the time to try necessarily as i need to probably move my tesla in november requiring 1 charging stop at a three phase station.

Someone on Reddit is saying that it could be the Triton Ace, in which case the 15th of August is the day!
For those tracking ships, cross Triton Ace off the list. It is going to Nagoya and Kobe Japan, after Shanghai, and then Auckland. It is a no go.

Vessel Tracking by Name From Japanese Shipping Companies

Triumph Ace displayed briefly today on sfgate.com shipping schedules departures as going to Panama Canal. It is not leaving today either. That makes it going to Europe if that holds true. We should know for sure by the weekend.

Reactions: Ranu
For those tracking ships, cross Triton Ace off the list. It is going to Nagoya and Kobe Japan, after Shanghai, and then Auckland. It is a no go.

Vessel Tracking by Name From Japanese Shipping Companies

Triumph Ace displayed briefly today on sfgate.com shipping schedules departures as going to Panama Canal. It is not leaving today either. That makes it going to Europe if that holds true. We should know for sure by the weekend.
Cheers Vedaprime!

Cheers Vedaprime!
I’ll make it easier for you....kind of. Here is a list of port botany (sydney) arrivals, unfortunately only a few weeks in advance. All you have to do is a match a vessel 3-4 weeks prior leaving LA. The list also shows the vessel type. Someone may find a longer list online as you really need to be seeing the last half of august.
Daily Vessel Movements | Port Authority New South Wales
The vessel will also stop at nz and melbourne, so a longer list might be available at those ports.

Reactions: Vedaprime
I’ll make it easier for you....kind of. Here is a list of port botany (sydney) arrivals, unfortunately only a few weeks in advance. All you have to do is a match a vessel 3-4 weeks prior leaving LA. The list also shows the vessel type. Someone may find a longer list online as you really need to be seeing the last half of august.
Daily Vessel Movements | Port Authority New South Wales
The vessel will also stop at nz and melbourne, so a longer list might be available at those ports.
Except, me thinks, most followers are discounting the container vessels and keenly awaiting a ro-ro from SFO pier 80 to AKL and into Port Kembla.

Reactions: baillies