Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't properly checked off all your figures but seem ok. The biggest unknown is if it will really be worth 48% of initial cost in 5 years. I can see the arguments for a high long term value, but suspect it will drop more much than that - e.g. the cost of new Tesla's will surely drop a lot in 5 years, or they release a new cheaper model, which will make second hand prices of Model 3's drop. I'm assuming more like about 30% of initial cost price after 5 years to be safe.
Remember you might save $6000 in fuel, but you would have tax deducted 70% of that to save maybe $1500 more on tax than you will with a Tesla.
If you have a high tax rate and can tax deduct most of it then buying a new car every 5 years does not cost you that much, but with the saving that come with a Tesla it is even better.

For anyone doing 15,000km+ a year the figures work out quite well, may not end up being as well as you've listed, we'll see. But if not going crazy on the performance model (like me :) then the figures work out well compared to even keeping a older ICE.

One thing too I haven't seen a lot of discussion on here is charging off peak to make it even cheaper to run. Different in different states but here in SA it is about half the price for off peak which was only 11pm-7am, but now also 10am-3pm due to the amount of solar we have here. So I can charge at half rates for 13 hours of the day, and even on 3 phase so at full 11kw speed.
Due to stupid previous SA gov incentives I'll be charging during the middle of the day at 18c/kw, which does not take off my solar exports and exporting the same solar as I always have, at over 58c/kw. So i'm getting paid to charge my car if I do it during the day :)
To try to validate, does anyone know what a S85 from 2014/2015 has changed hands for recently given that they cost about $130,000 on the road.

I have homelink on two model s. It pops up on the screen every time based on location, and it works every time. I dont have it on auto open / close as other cars / people / pets are often in the way. Not sure why tesla find it unreliable because that certainly isnt my experience.

My garage opener has one button ... if its down it goes up ... if its up it goes down. I Expect homelink would be useless for me as it has no idea what the inital state is - up or down. I expect there are plenty of doors like this.

So if I use the controlled load to charge the car, then after the 28% discount I end up paying 10.1c/kw for drawing the power from controlled load but get 10.6c/kw for feeding solar back, so for me it is cheaper to charge without using my own solar for charging.

Making my head hurt - but yes - similar to me. You can charge on controlled load (when available) at a good rate OR you can charge using solar (when its sunny) at a good rate. So it becomes a charging timing issue. I expect some University will have a degree in solar plans and charging options some time soon.

Agreed - I have not seen evidence of anything other than a flat rate plus feedin rate on solar meters in SA. (and I paid a heap to get this dumb meter installed 4 years ago with my solar). You may want to check if an EV charger on its own would enable the install of the controlled load / off peak service. Potential savings are decent in the winter months at least - or if you can't charge during the day even in summer. eg. The difference on a 60kW charge would be around $10 each time.

Yes - I have been a frequent user of the Type1 charger next to the Tesla chargers at Burnside with my PHEV. I asked them the other day if they could increase their Tesla chargers from the current 3KW (as I understand) they are set to. ( in prep for my M3 :)
I dont understand the use case for an airport carpark charger - if you are travelling then you are unlikely to need to plugged in for the whole of your trip away. People will get peeved if a car is sitting there occupying a charger for days.
The airport is fantastic for day trips, which I do frequently. Arrive at 7am, back home and gone by 7pm.

My garage opener has one button ... if its down it goes up ... if its up it goes down. I Expect homelink would be useless for me as it has no idea what the inital state is - up or down. I expect there are plenty of doors like this.
Thats why I dont have mine set on automatic. Having it on the screen for manual press saves the remote floating around the car though. I note the tesla line about your car departing the garage has been removed. One less full self driving feature.

Over in the Model 3 root there are M3P- US deliveries with TRACK MODE!
This is new. It is only since the latest pricing / option change.

I guess it is too much to hope that we may get Track Mode as well.
I ordered the M3P- for the cheaper price, range, 18” wheels, normal ride height and acceleration.
But I was sad to loose Track Mode.

Just another heads up on this.
Our M3P- orders could now potentially come with Track Mode.

• Love
Reactions: one4spl
I called Tesla today as i had now response on email. Their response ...

1) Nearly - the 0 to 100 time is different , and the rated range at 620km.
2) No cars will be getting it - the message was that its too unreliable and so they won't supply it unless it reliable.

Didn't get to #3.

So I've decided to switch from Performance Lite to LR AWD for a couple of reasons :

1) I was never after a crazy acceleration - I wanted the longest range Model 3 I could.
2) I am hoping for some chance of a more favourable insurance quote conversation - although RACV was pretty good anyway (still to do). And i figured removing the word performance from the model name can only help ;) .
3) the delay difference is only likely going to be (original order) late august to (revised order) early September.

So there may be a Blue Performance lite slot opened up in whatever production schedule exists @ Tesla mothership.

(Still would have loved a tow bar option for the occasional family bike outing & weekend dump runs - but hey ho !)
There is no difference in range between the P STD & LR AWD - Tesla gave you the fudge numbers from the meaningless & obsolete NEDC

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: one4spl
For those buying FSD thinking their car will achieve.....well full self driving. Here is how Elon replied when asked what car he currently drives;
“I mostly drive Model S Performance with dev version of FSD computer. Our new Raven powertain & adaptive damping suspension is great! Next is Model 3P & then X if driving with my kids. Acceleration is fun on tap!”
So a development version of the FSD computer in the latest version of model S...looks like version 4 hardware will be good for full self driving, just like versions 1, 2, and 3 were.

With all this electricity tariff talk... I got solar 2 months ago with a PW2 and my old style spinning dial meters (3 phase) were replaced with a new digital smart meter.

The day it was commissioned, I went online (AGL) and selected a ToU plan, since I’ll be able to time shift most of my grid consumption to offpeak times. A few days later I got an email from AGL with my “new electricity rate plan” attached. It showed I was not on a ToU plan but a fixed rate and 11¢/kWh FIT.

So I rang up AGL and asked to be put onto the ToU plan like I asked for. Tap tap tappity tap and the rep claimed it was done. Then 2 days later I get a text from AGL saying they were “unable to complete my electricity meter investigation”. So I tried them again, the rep claimed the previous rep didn’t lodge the request correctly and this time it would all be fine. You can guess what happened next... same text as before.

AGL can’t tell me why I can’t be put on a ToU tariff. They said they would ask Ausgrid but I’ve had no further responses. One rep even said that in NSW it is mandatory to be put onto a ToU tariff if you have solar. And yet...

Any clues as to WTF the going on?

@Vostok f'ing AGL, I wouldn't touch the company with a ten foot barge-pole...go Diamond or PowerShop.
I was with Diamond for about 2 years. They are very good and easy to deal with. I had no issues, however I did swap to AGL last year to get the cheaper rates. I do agree that AGL customer service and support people are one of the most difficult to deal with. My change from single tariff to time of use main tariff and controlled load secondary tariff took about 4 months initially to get done (that involved at least 1-2 phone calls to them weekly) then when the change was done their billing system was not charging those new tariffs correctly and that took another 6 months to fix similarly with weekly phone calls from me. Every time I spoke to them they promised to get back to me, or that the issue was fixed and should show on my account within couple of days and during those 10 months of sorting this I only had 2 times when they actually called back. Eventually they did fix it and now am enjoying the lowest tariffs I have ever had :) Though to get there it was an uphill battle.

With all this electricity tariff talk... I got solar 2 months ago with a PW2 and my old style spinning dial meters (3 phase) were replaced with a new digital smart meter.

The day it was commissioned, I went online (AGL) and selected a ToU plan, since I’ll be able to time shift most of my grid consumption to offpeak times. A few days later I got an email from AGL with my “new electricity rate plan” attached. It showed I was not on a ToU plan but a fixed rate and 11¢/kWh FIT.

So I rang up AGL and asked to be put onto the ToU plan like I asked for. Tap tap tappity tap and the rep claimed it was done. Then 2 days later I get a text from AGL saying they were “unable to complete my electricity meter investigation”. So I tried them again, the rep claimed the previous rep didn’t lodge the request correctly and this time it would all be fine. You can guess what happened next... same text as before.

AGL can’t tell me why I can’t be put on a ToU tariff. They said they would ask Ausgrid but I’ve had no further responses. One rep even said that in NSW it is mandatory to be put onto a ToU tariff if you have solar. And yet...

Any clues as to WTF the going on?

I'm on AGL with solar and and batteries. I am not on ToU. The reason I am with AGL is that their (now defunct) Solar Savers plan still gives me a decent feed in rate of 0.20 per KWhr and with the battery system I draw less than 1kw a day from the grid (a bit of load matching). With slightly over 4MWhrs surplus a year this plan still works for me. I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and the various contradictory plans and disinformation you are given when you talk to sales associates still confuses me. I'll wait until I get the car, hook it up in the best way I can see fit and then try to work out what might work better sometime in the new year. OpenEVSE looks to be something that appeals to me.

1) Nearly - the 0 to 100 time is different , and the rated range at 620km.
2) No cars will be getting it - the message was that its too unreliable and so they won't supply it unless it reliable.

Didn't get to #3.

So I've decided to switch from Performance Lite to LR AWD for a couple of reasons :

1) I was never after a crazy acceleration - I wanted the longest range Model 3 I could.
2) I am hoping for some chance of a more favourable insurance quote conversation - although RACV was pretty good anyway (still to do). And i figured removing the word performance from the model name can only help ;) .

I don't understand.

The price of the two cars are the same. Well actually, it's the same car with different software!

Positives:

- *If* you get cheaper insurance .. well OK .. there's a small saving.

That's about it!

Negatives:

- Lower resale value to the future hoon.
- You'll get caught and eaten by the T-Rex, whilst the P3D- you were about to drag race watches in their rear-view mirror.
- The ranges of the two cars are the same. Don't be fooled by all the NEDC, WTP, UTP, TCP, CSIRO figures!

Summary:

Get the P3D- and just don't press the pedal as hard, or put it in chill mode!

:D

2) No cars will be getting Homelink - the message was that its too unreliable and so they won't supply it unless it reliable.

They are either lying to you or making up crap as they go along.

-Homelink is available in every model S and X that has been coming out of the production line for several years and STILL there.

-Model 3s have had it by default for over a year, again with no issues up until April when they decide to remove it worldwide for cost cutting but still leave it in S and X.

-Tesla sells Homelink for model 3 RIGHT NOW on their website in the US as an aftermarket accessory for $300 so their reasoning for being unreliable is a total crock.
Automatic Garage Opener

-They clearly advertised it as a feature when we ordered our cars so they better f$@ing offer it! Wouldn’t be surprised if they never offer it in Australia to get out of having to retrofit it for all of us who are legally supposed to get it included for free.

So it’s clear that all early orders are about to get screwed over with Homelink by Tesla.

-Homelink is available in every model S and X that has been coming out of the production line for several years and STILL there.

-Model 3s have had it by default for over a year, again with no issues up until April when they decide to remove it worldwide for cost cutting but still leave it in S and X.

-Tesla sells Homelink for model 3 RIGHT NOW on their website in the US as an aftermarket accessory for $300 so their reasoning for being unreliable is a total crock.
Automatic Garage Opener

-They clearly advertised it as a feature when we ordered our cars so they better f$@ing offer it! Wouldn’t be surprised if they never offer it in Australia to get out of having to retrofit it for all of us who are legally supposed to get it included for free.

So it’s clear that all early orders are about to get screwed over with Homelink by Tesla.
Well tesla screwed over all the early model s owners with homelink, so you shouldn’t feel alone.

Automatic Garage Opener

I wouldn’t worry. As someone suggested, just put it on them after you’ve handed over the cash.
Tesla will either have to install it or provide a monetary compensation.
If they refuse, take them to whatever the Small Claims Tribunal/Court is in your state.
They’ll accept the offer to proceed & then at the eleventh hour (week before hearing) will compensate you, with an accompanying letter stating that it is no admission of fault/liability. Why? Because the cost of flying someone (outside NSW) to the hearing is too expensive
Yes, I’ve done this before to a multi billion dollar company *smug face*