Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unbelievers are often quite interested to talk to someone who actually drives one because they have often heard a lot of *sugar* that doesn't add up,
To be fair, unbelievers usually don't WANT to hear the good bits, they are happy with their prejudices.
However, there is a large bunch of misinformed people out there who will listen...

For those that are interested, I have finally found a RHD floor mat set for sale

All Weather Floor Mats for Tesla Model 3
Great, thanks - I’ve been on the look out for some (not sure I want all weather, just some nice carpet ones would do, but hard to find).

Does anyone know if the UK folk have been able to buy RHD carpet mats from Tesla yet?
It’s really annoying that only the USA has an online Tesla Accessories store. I suspect here we will just have to keep calling the service/sales staff only to be told that everything’s out of stock.

To be fair, unbelievers usually don't WANT to hear the good bits, they are happy with their prejudices.
However, there is a large bunch of misinformed people out there who will listen...
So glad its not just me!
I swear this damn Tesla Model 3 thing has brought out another person in me!!! All I do is obsess over the car and check every damn day for updates and new youtube videos or ANY info on the car at all. I dont have time to burn like this but I obssess over it like a 1990's highschool teenage girl obsessing over Jean-Claude Van Damme.

It's been 3 years, whats another few weeks going to do??

I am right there with you. So funny to hear others scouring the internet (especially YouTube) for any new Model 3 videos! Once I confirm there is no new AU delivery info (which is basically everyday), I am off to watch any new rando Southern California or UK first impression videos! Top quality. We need AU rando delivery videos!

Don't ever be discouraged from discussing your Tesla with an EV critic, always hold the conversation on your terms that exploit their weakness- OIL, Australia imports a vast percentage of its oil based fuel from overseas at great cost, we have less than 3 weeks reserves that relies on open shipping channels. Generally the moment you mention the source of fuel for their ICE vehicles they STFU and hide.
Well, an ever better way to make their head explode is to point out that up to half of Australia's oil directly or indirectly comes from the Middle East. So if they are an Islamaphobe, then they need to stop buying petrol, because they can’t be sure their petrol dollar isn’t ending up funding some authoritarian, anti-Western regime.

Reactions: 1st in Line
For all you guys with Model 3’s on their way to Oz... I am just back from a week driving a Model 3 around California. It was fantastic. I rented it through Turo - a Performance model. I had my wife and two kids in it and plus our bags.

TBH the luggage space was a bit limiting and the trunk clearly suboptimal to the new hatch in our cars, but we made it work. But otherwise the car is incredible. Stupid fast, crazy tight in the corners and looked great. Just feels so much smaller and more nimble than my Model S.

I quickly settled into having only the one center display. There are times when it is limiting - Nav instructions not visible when the kids are searching new music etc. But I really like the 16:9 layout and changing TACC speed by toggling on the screen. I am sure the next gen S/X will go with the 16:9 but with an IDS as well.

Overall I loved it and you guys should all be excited. You’re going to love your cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am right there with you. So funny to hear others scouring the internet (especially YouTube) for any new Model 3 videos! Once I confirm there is no new AU delivery info (which is basically everyday), I am off to watch any new rando Southern California or UK first impression videos! Top quality. We need AU rando delivery videos!

You could also refresh the accessory page to see when model 3 accessories are added ;) Vehicle Upgrades & Accessories

Brotonne Bridge has just departed Oakland. It took 2 days to unload/load. This is much longer than the previous ships. See image.
Bad news - arrives Sydney August 30.

Do cars often get delivered via container ship instead of roro? I would have guessed given the volume of cars it would have to have been a roro, but I know nothing about car deliveries.... Surely containers would be far more expensive?

Do cars often get delivered via container ship instead of roro? I would have guessed given the volume of cars it would have to have been a roro, but I know nothing about car deliveries.... Surely containers would be far more expensive?

It is more expensive via container once you go beyond a certain volume. All Tesla’s to date have been delivered by container ship to Australia and New Zealand. It is easy to track - 1 shipping company only does the route.

So we are watching both RoRo and container ships. Surely the volume has to come soon right. We know where to look for the RoRo - Tesla Pier 80 San Francisco. A RoRo ship has to turn up right now to have any chance of getting bulk deliveries in August. But there has been nothing there bound for here yet. So by deduction, if August is going to happen at all, containers are the only likely alternative - and that means small volumes.

The container ships are once a week. The press/demo Model 3s came this way.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Regarding watching RORO, are you still keeping an eye on the ships that departed to China? (COSCO Tengfei, Glovis Prime). Is there a chance they offload bulk RHD in CN and then make a run down here with the leftovers?

Yes. Am tracking through European people tracking these. 1 is Aug 4, 1 is Aug 13 for China.

I would put the chances as very slim we have a vehicle transfer considering the logistics or a half empty ship coming this way. Given the distance and time the economics probably don’t make it very likely. But the chance isn’t zero.

Likeliest scenario
1. A small number via container weekly in August just like the UK - small initial shipments. Ticks box - deliveries commencing in August - press event. Some of us win the Model 3 lottery and the rest of us dirty as hell.

Then
2. 1 RoRo - bulk delivery in Sept OR containers continue at small volumes.

• Informative
Likeliest scenario
1. A small number via container weekly in August just like the UK - small initial shipments. Ticks box - deliveries commencing in August - press event. Some of us win the Model 3 lottery and the rest of us dirty as hell.
Then
2. 1 RoRo - bulk delivery in Sept OR containers continue at small volumes.
Agree 100%

As discussed a while ago now, the important date for Tesla is the end of the quarter (30 Sept). They need as many cars in owners hands by then as possible, because only then can they recognise revenue (and collect cash). We’ve seen them push deliveries hard towards the end of every quarter for as long as I’ve been following them.

So, a few cars here by August helps them say they stuck to their promised timeframe, but the bulk by end Sept to help with their financials.

Reactions: Hairyman
9FEF9F87-61FF-41C8-8D97-46FE9906D2DE.jpeg
Cruel. I know. Not ours. UK

Need transport mode this way please Elon now.

It is more expensive via container once you go beyond a certain volume. All Tesla’s to date have been delivered by container ship to Australia and New Zealand. It is easy to track - 1 shipping company only does the route.

So we are watching both RoRo and container ships. Surely the volume has to come soon right. We know where to look for the RoRo - Tesla Pier 80 San Francisco. A RoRo ship has to turn up right now to have any chance of getting bulk deliveries in August. But there has been nothing there bound for here yet. So by deduction, if August is going to happen at all, containers are the only likely alternative - and that means small volumes.

The container ships are once a week. The press/demo Model 3s came this way.
You are assuming a large volume has been sold in australia. That may not be the case. There is still the ongoing reality that there are no Roro’s scheduled into NZ. Seems to me thats its going to be containers, several each week for the foreseeable future.