Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome Zfactor. No, delivery for those of us who had confirmed orders in June/July was stated as August on the Tesla web page, but is most likely going to be mid-September. See the discussion about transport ships and arrival dates from about page 135 of the “Tesla Model 3 in Australia” thread.

What sort of Model 3 did you order? Silver SR+ here.

Blue SR+. Got a text from tesla today stating “
Your Model 3 is almost here. We're busy preparing everything for your delivery and will be in touch with more details soon. Thanks, Tesla Team”

Not sure what to make of it though

Also curious who people insured with?

AAMI cost under 900 with 1250 excess. Most of the other quotes I had were between 2,000-4,000.

Currently I will go with AAMI also as they are my current insurer. Circa 1150 but an excess in the mid 2000's (by choice). This is for the performance version at an insured value of around 100k including windshield protection in my postcode. (they don't have the performance online as of yesterday but they do have it if you call them)

As always, "Your mileage may vary". I'll check NRMA etc. when the car has a VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
I assume you phoned AAMI? Anyway, maybe better over in this thread: Insurance quotes for Australian M3?

Hi M4rtin,

I did. They have the P- as a pull down on their spec sheet (but not on line). The call consultant I talked to was quite funny as he said "I'm going to ask you a really stupid question here... I've just looked at the spec for the car and I think it will be a NO"

"Have you modified the car in any way?"

• Funny
Reactions: aegidius and m4rtin
I didn’t get the text. Do I have to order a model 3 to get the text?

Absolutely not! Just post the last 7 digits of your mobile phone number here. (Don't worry, as a valued registered user we already have the first 2 digits which are the security code and we hold encrypted). That way you will get more text messages than you can imagine! :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Techno-phile
Hey all. Yes, exciting times ahead for all of us that got the text and may have brand spanking Model3's with us very soon. I'm sure these have already been covered but would love to hear about:

1. In Inner North Melbourne and we don't have a garage so will be parking on the street. Obviously concern for vandalism/keying etc. but understand we have sentry cam and I also have CCTV at front door. What sort of USB will I need that will work with Mac software? Anyone else here parking on street and share this concern?

2. Not having a garage also means that we don't have access to a wall charger. But enough locations around us have charging points. Tesla in Cremorne have superchargers. Do we know the cost of charging here? We've ordered the SR+ RWD.

3. Some of the other charging locations have J1772 specification. Will the Tesla UMC include an adaptor for this? My closest charging spots are Lygon St, Melbourne Museum and CERES.

4. How easily are these charging points accessible? Some minor concern as I have heard EV's parked in charging bays all day rather than for just charging? Any Tesla Model S & X owners experience this at all?

5. Just looked up Chargefox. 350kw ultra rapid chargers which can charge upto 400km of range in 15 mins? Does this sound right? And will they work with M3?

6. I have read up a bit on limiting battery charge to 75%, 80% etc. but would love to know what most people are thinking of doing to ensure long-lasting battery life?

7. Going on holidays Sept 2-12 to Bali and really hoping our M3 is in our hands before then. Not sure if we then get further delays if we can't make first delivery.

Finally, maybe this is just me but anyone else concerned at all about street envy from neighbours? Or people in your street now suddenly wanting to speak with you at length because you have a Tesla parked in front? Yes I know the kids will love it :)

Looking forward to the driving experience but not some of the above

Hey all. Yes, exciting times ahead for all of us that got the text and may have brand spanking Model3's with us very soon. I'm sure these have already been covered but would love to hear about:

1. In Inner North Melbourne and we don't have a garage so will be parking on the street. Obviously concern for vandalism/keying etc. but understand we have sentry cam and I also have CCTV at front door. What sort of USB will I need that will work with Mac software? Anyone else here parking on street and share this concern?

2. Not having a garage also means that we don't have access to a wall charger. But enough locations around us have charging points. Tesla in Cremorne have superchargers. Do we know the cost of charging here? We've ordered the SR+ RWD.

3. Some of the other charging locations have J1772 specification. Will the Tesla UMC include an adaptor for this? My closest charging spots are Lygon St, Melbourne Museum and CERES.

4. How easily are these charging points accessible? Some minor concern as I have heard EV's parked in charging bays all day rather than for just charging? Any Tesla Model S & X owners experience this at all?

5. Just looked up Chargefox. 350kw ultra rapid chargers which can charge upto 400km of range in 15 mins? Does this sound right? And will they work with M3?

6. I have read up a bit on limiting battery charge to 75%, 80% etc. but would love to know what most people are thinking of doing to ensure long-lasting battery life?

7. Going on holidays Sept 2-12 to Bali and really hoping our M3 is in our hands before then. Not sure if we then get further delays if we can't make first delivery.

Finally, maybe this is just me but anyone else concerned at all about street envy from neighbours? Or people in your street now suddenly wanting to speak with you at length because you have a Tesla parked in front? Yes I know the kids will love it :)

Looking forward to the driving experience but not some of the above
1. Best option is an SSD HDD from both a capacity and performance perspective. Cheap drives don't work.

2. Supercharging costs 45c/kWh in Australia. You use about 0.16 kWh/km.

3. No Type1 adaptor is included. Read Charging Adaptors

4. I can't speak to this form first hand experience. I don't have an EV yet. But as I can tell it happens occasionally.

5. Yes. At about 250kW peak.

6. Not much benifit I capping below 80.

7. I wonder about this as well. I do FIFO work. It would suck if they give me a date when I'm out.

8. I expect to spend a lot of time in the next couple of years being asked about it. Maybe not quite as much as an X owner though:D

• Informative
Reactions: maveric74
I have ordered SR+.

Any thoughts on availability of day 1 accessories such as:

1. Floor mats - only premium models have mats. With the rain we get all weather mats would be ideal
2. Trunk mats - Frunk(?) comes with a naked plastic bin. Would be good to get additional mats.
3. External body maintenance - I heard from other forums that it is best to not take the car to the general auto wash stations. waterless cleaning is recommended but not sure what is the best way to care.
4. Are you guys considering PPF protection?

I feel that a lot of option to accessorise is not yet available in Aus/NZ market. Would be good to get some thoughts.

Reactions: andygen21
I have ordered SR+.

Any thoughts on availability of day 1 accessories such as:

1. Floor mats - only premium models have mats. With the rain we get all weather mats would be ideal
2. Trunk mats - Frunk(?) comes with a naked plastic bin. Would be good to get additional mats.
3. External body maintenance - I heard from other forums that it is best to not take the car to the general auto wash stations. waterless cleaning is recommended but not sure what is the best way to care.
4. Are you guys considering PPF protection?

I feel that a lot of option to accessorise is not yet available in Aus/NZ market. Would be good to get some thoughts.
TapTes has right hand drive all weather mats now.

Pressure wash, hand wash, chamois.

I, humbly, think PPF is insanely expensive compared to just repairing as needed. Even ceramic coating seems over the top.

Last edited: