Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going on holidays Sept 2-12 to Bali and really hoping our M3 is in our hands before then. Not sure if we then get further delays if we can't make first delivery.

I asked Tesla about this, and you have to pick up the vehicle within 7 days of the delivery date or it will be reassigned to another person. You will then get a new delivery date. No exceptions and it is in the order agreement. That being said she did say that you will have at least 2-3 weeks notice of the delivery date.

I suspect they may be making delivery arrangements soon, because their text message was vague but it said almost here. I cannot imagine almost here being 6-8 weeks by anyones standards and suspect they have chosen their words carefully.

The ideal situation of course would be that they surprise us all by pulling off an August delivery but I am not sure. The rumour I did hear from Tesla is that there is a shipment of white interiors that is coming over on the first batch. This means changing your reservation may not be such a big deal, especially since you would be the "first" person to order that particular colour style.

Hey all. Yes, exciting times ahead for all of us that got the text and may have brand spanking Model3's with us very soon. I'm sure these have already been covered but would love to hear about:

1. In Inner North Melbourne and we don't have a garage so will be parking on the street. Obviously concern for vandalism/keying etc. but understand we have sentry cam and I also have CCTV at front door. What sort of USB will I need that will work with Mac software? Anyone else here parking on street and share this concern?

2. Not having a garage also means that we don't have access to a wall charger. But enough locations around us have charging points. Tesla in Cremorne have superchargers. Do we know the cost of charging here? We've ordered the SR+ RWD.

3. Some of the other charging locations have J1772 specification. Will the Tesla UMC include an adaptor for this? My closest charging spots are Lygon St, Melbourne Museum and CERES.

4. How easily are these charging points accessible? Some minor concern as I have heard EV's parked in charging bays all day rather than for just charging? Any Tesla Model S & X owners experience this at all?

5. Just looked up Chargefox. 350kw ultra rapid chargers which can charge upto 400km of range in 15 mins? Does this sound right? And will they work with M3?

6. I have read up a bit on limiting battery charge to 75%, 80% etc. but would love to know what most people are thinking of doing to ensure long-lasting battery life?

7. Going on holidays Sept 2-12 to Bali and really hoping our M3 is in our hands before then. Not sure if we then get further delays if we can't make first delivery.

Finally, maybe this is just me but anyone else concerned at all about street envy from neighbours? Or people in your street now suddenly wanting to speak with you at length because you have a Tesla parked in front? Yes I know the kids will love it :)

Looking forward to the driving experience but not some of the above
Item 1 - sentry cam unfortunately records every car that drives past and person that walks past your car. The USB fills quickly and it doesnt over-right itself. You then have to take the usb to a pc and empty it. Not ideal yet, but I’m sure tesla will improve on that..
Item 6 - your tesla shows on the charging screen the optimum daily use charge range of 50-90%. You can charge anywhere in that range without concern. Only go above 90 if required, and never let it sit at 100 for long.
Your street envy concerns.....expect to be harassed and expect strangers to want to talk about your car. For some reason, tesla brings excitement and curiosity out of people rather than jealousy.

Reactions: maveric74
Mac compatibility for the USB stick is a non issue. Anything that the car can write to, the Mac can read. It’ll be either FAT32, or (more likely) exFAT, both of which macOS handles natively.
The car can only read USB drives formatted FAT32. macOS has no problem reformatting it that way if the one you buy is exFAT. Some PCs need 3rd party software to format larger drives in FAT32 format.
New firmware releases for the car will tell you that the drive is full from Sentry recordings.

Mac compatibility for the USB stick is a non issue. Anything that the car can write to, the Mac can read. It’ll be either FAT32, or (more likely) exFAT, both of which macOS handles natively.
Dashcam requires formatting Fat32, Works fine with Mac. I have bought the Samsung T5 portable SSD to go with the Jeda USB hub and downloaded Mac Dashcam viewer app

AA2EA711-91CF-4EA3-99BF-0353BC21D0A4.jpeg Total RHD vins registered for all RHD markets. Total 16224. The press/demo vehicles were from the first May 10 batch.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
5. Just looked up Chargefox. 350kw ultra rapid chargers which can charge upto 400km of range in 15 mins? Does this sound right? And will they work with M3?

6. I have read up a bit on limiting battery charge to 75%, 80% etc. but would love to know what most people are thinking of doing to ensure long-lasting battery life?
Not sure about some of the questions you had, but as you mentioned you were getting SR+ trim on Model 3, I was going to clarify couple of points:
5. SR+ so far has been limited to 100-105kw charging speed regardless of the capacity of super chargers. So the charger being capable of 350kw for Chargefox or even V3 Tesla superchargers with 250kw, will only be able to charge your SR+ with speeds up 100-105kw. The up to 250kw charging speed is available only on Tesla Model 3 cars with long range battery and so far we have only seen them charge at 250kw speed on Tesla V3 superchargers in US, they appear to charge only up to 150kw speed on other rapid chargers. That most likely is a software limitation and may change with a software update in the future.

6. Elon mentioned in a tweet that daily charging to 90% is fine and only charging to 100% just before longer trips, so depending on your driving habits and distances and lack of charging options at home, you might not charge daily but fall into the habit of charging when the charge gets to below 20-30% and then taking it to 90% and getting a few days out of that. You will figure this out pretty quickly, once the car arrives.

On Tuesday, they will have a RHD 3 at 'the farm' at Byron - possibly see that in Brisbane late in the week.
I may be wrong, but I think you've got the wrong 'The Farm' there.
The Farm Central Coast has its own racetrack.
http://writingaboutcars.com/dean-wills-and-the-farm-both-australian-legends/[URL="http://writingaboutcars.com/dean-wills-and-the-farm-both-australian-legends/"]Dean Wills and “The Farm”; Both Australian legends! | Writing about cars[/URL]

Now this is really funny...

Even though I was the first to line up for registration, I did not get an SMS, as my preferred method of communication is via e-mail...

I did update my account profile though to also include a mobile number, so now I am curious whether I will receive notice via SMS, e-mail or neither...

.... probably makes me the only technophobe in the world to have ordered a Model 3
Yes same, communication preference email so I didn't get a SMS. But my wife just casually told me she got the SMS yesterday.
Reserved April fool's day 2016, ordered P3D-

Hey all. Yes, exciting times ahead for all of us that got the text and may have brand spanking Model3's with us very soon. I'm sure these have already been covered but would love to hear about:

1. In Inner North Melbourne and we don't have a garage so will be parking on the street. Obviously concern for vandalism/keying etc. but understand we have sentry cam and I also have CCTV at front door. What sort of USB will I need that will work with Mac software? Anyone else here parking on street and share this concern?

2. Not having a garage also means that we don't have access to a wall charger. But enough locations around us have charging points. Tesla in Cremorne have superchargers. Do we know the cost of charging here? We've ordered the SR+ RWD.

3. Some of the other charging locations have J1772 specification. Will the Tesla UMC include an adaptor for this? My closest charging spots are Lygon St, Melbourne Museum and CERES.

4. How easily are these charging points accessible? Some minor concern as I have heard EV's parked in charging bays all day rather than for just charging? Any Tesla Model S & X owners experience this at all?

7. Going on holidays Sept 2-12 to Bali and really hoping our M3 is in our hands before then. Not sure if we then get further delays if we can't make first delivery.

Finally, maybe this is just me but anyone else concerned at all about street envy from neighbours? Or people in your street now suddenly wanting to speak with you at length because you have a Tesla parked in front? Yes I know the kids will love it :)

Looking forward to the driving experience but not some of the above

In 2019 you certainly WONT get 400kms of charge in 15 minutes, possibly 135kms in 5 minutes during the time the battery is charging at its sweet spot between 15-40%. Even a model 3 with the capability to peak at 250kw will still take 25 minutes to charge from 15% to 85%.

• Informative
Yes same, communication preference email so I didn't get a SMS. But my wife just casually told me she got the SMS yesterday.
Reserved April fool's day 2016, ordered P3D-

I must be in Tesla's black book...

Still no e-mail nor SMS (not blaming Tesla for lack of SMS, given I did not put it as my communication preference).

Also, I am still putting the finishing touches on our Model 3's new home/garage, so I am not in a mad rush to get the little baby...

Not Blue, sticking with PearlWhite, like all so far. Rego Plate FuelFree3 (to go with existing FuelFree). This was my second attempt after wife refused to allow me to use the S3XY TESLA rego plates I had bought. Would suit a younger person apparently.

Last edited:
That being said she did say that you will have at least 2-3 weeks notice of the delivery date.
I’ve been told that sort of notice too, but in practice the first deliveries in the UK recently only got 7 days notice for their allocated collection time.
I’m not sure how flexible they were if you couldn’t make that time, but worth being aware of this as I think we will likely be in the same position.

Not Blue, sticking with PearlWhite, like all so far. Rego Plate FuelFree3 (to go with existing FuelFree). This was my second attempt after wife refused to allow me to use the S3XY TESLA rego plates I had bought. Would suit a younger person apparently.
Yep, I hear you. I had T3SLA plates reserved until my daughter called me a wanker. So I let them go. They were gone within mins if anyone is wondering. At this point I'll just go with premium black on white plates and replacing all the badges on the back with Honda Civic Logos. If you have ordered the ultimate sleeper performance car then it is best to let it sleep (BTW - Daughter still thinks this is a total wank move ... Son thinks it is awesome). :)