Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will not get anywhere near 145Wh/km I feel.....I am able to get my Model S down to about 145Wh/km but this is 'trying' to get it to this under ideal conditions....I have an average of around the 185Wh/km and if you ask around that is extremely good going for a Model S with 21inch wheels.

I am tipping people's real world average on Model 3's (once the initial I'm going to floor it at every chance wears off) will be around the 190-200Wh/km.

My wife's Model X (75D, usable of around 73KW when 100% charged) is meant to be 417km's at 100%, at the moment we would be lucky to get 300km's (absolutely lucky)....has me greatly concerned actually.We do have the 22's on the X so even if one takes 8% off of the 417km's it is still some 22% less than advertised and that is of a great concern.....I have been told to expect 250WH/km on a Model X, no way in hell can an X come anywhere near to averaging 180WH/km on real work driving...period. False advertising?

Can anyone from NZ who has access to the final details screen send through the URL you are getting on that screen? I just want to be cheeky and see what happens if I put my reservation number in.

Should be something like "htt ps://www.tesla. com/en_AU/teslaaccount/edit-design" , except instead of edit-design I imagine it will say something else.

You will not get anywhere near 145Wh/km I feel.....I am able to get my Model S down to about 145Wh/km but this is 'trying' to get it to this under ideal conditions....I have an average of around the 185Wh/km and if you ask around that is extremely good going for a Model S with 21inch wheels.

I am tipping people's real world average on Model 3's (once the initial I'm going to floor it at every chance wears off) will be around the 190-200Wh/km.

My wife's Model X (75D, usable of around 73KW when 100% charged) is meant to be 417km's at 100%, at the moment we would be lucky to get 300km's (absolutely lucky)....has me greatly concerned actually.We do have the 22's on the X so even if one takes 8% off of the 417km's it is still some 22% less than advertised and that is of a great concern.....I have been told to expect 250WH/km on a Model X, no way in hell can an X come anywhere near to averaging 180WH/km on real work driving...period. False advertising?
I can but hope. Plenty of US owners claim to get the 310 mile EPA range or better, I'm a flat land dweller so you never know. I don't care for advertised ranges or test cycles only what is achievable in reality driving "normally" and without holding up traffic. If range is an issue I can see a lot of long lunches coming up for our trips.

All based on the 2 different types of testing methods used (EPA vs NEDC)......

Here's How To Calculate Conflicting EV Range Test Cycles: EPA, WLTP, NEDC
There's one thing that people often don't account for - EPA consumption figures are from the wall, but when people talk about the car's efficiency, they talk about the figure presented by the car which is energy out of the battery. They differ by the charging efficiency. Of course, range is range, so the difference in those figures is purely due to the testing cycles and official "fudge factors".

If you can get 185Wh/km on a (presumably pre-Raven) Model S, I'd have thought 188Wh/km with a 3 would be pretty easy to achieve - if one is considering the in-car usage and not the wall-socket usage, at least. E.g. the NextMove test on the German Autobahn got 164 Wh/km at 120km/h.
Model 3 Consumption on German Autobahn: 74mph (120 km/h) and 93 mph (150 km/h) : teslamotors

Completely ignore the sticker on both figures, it's a load of rubbish, ones too high and one figure is too low, the energy efficiency and range around the city and suburbs is irrelavent, you only need to concentrate on that if you're driving long distance in areas lacking DC chargers. For sure there will be days under extremely perfect conditions where you'll get 470kms from a charge, there will also be days when you thrash the car and only get 188wh/km, don't sweat it, enjoy the car.

Yeah I'm not even slightly worried (yet) about having ordered a SR+. Every morning my car will be able to drive 390km (if I'm lucky) which is more than enough for city driving.

The only regular trip I make outside of Sydney is to Terrigal and back which is 85km each way and which the car should make easily if I'm still lucky.

Aside from that I go on long trips only a few times a year and the idea of taking occasional forced short breaks, and possibly playing retro Atari games, is quite appealing.

Reactions: m4rtin
I've been in touch with a few insurance providers in NZ and the quote from insuremytesla (vero) is a lot cheaper on the site but the actual quote provided has been significantly higher... Apparently they may be readjusting their quotations as it wasn't accurate from the website - I don't think its my demographic thats causing the spike either - 28M / no previous accidents or claims / full license 10+ years. I'd be interested if anyone has received a quote they can action from Vero

• Helpful
Reactions: andygen21
Yeah I'm not even slightly worried (yet) about having ordered a SR+. Every morning my car will be able to drive 390km (if I'm lucky) which is more than enough for city driving.

The only regular trip I make outside of Sydney is to Terrigal and back which is 85km each way and which the car should make easily if I'm still lucky.

Aside from that I go on long trips only a few times a year and the idea of taking occasional forced short breaks, and possibly playing retro Atari games, is quite appealing.
Nearly all country driving for me with local urban. Mostly 80km to 480km round trips plus a few longer pa. (It would be nice to be able to make the 480km trip without a charge) Limited and mostly slow charging on some routes if necessary. I'll let you know how I fare on efficiency after a few test runs when we are all finally with our cars. We have a large solar array, so I expect at least 90% self powered even in winter.

Reactions: 1st in Line
I can but hope. Plenty of US owners claim to get the 310 mile EPA range or better, I'm a flat land dweller so you never know. I don't care for advertised ranges or test cycles only what is achievable in reality driving "normally" and without holding up traffic. If range is an issue I can see a lot of long lunches coming up for our trips.

Just so you know, real world will be a lot less km’s than advertised from my experience...however I hope the 3 is better than the S/X in this area....

If you can get 185Wh/km on a (presumably pre-Raven) Model S, I'd have thought 188Wh/km with a 3 would be pretty easy to achieve - if one is considering the in-car usage and not the wall-socket usage, at least. E.g. the NextMove test on the German Autobahn got 164 Wh/km at 120km/h.
Model 3 Consumption on German Autobahn: 74mph (120 km/h) and 93 mph (150 km/h) : teslamotors

Keep in mind I am the type of person that gets 50,000km’s on 21inch tyres before needing to replace them (most get less than 30,000km).....I have been labeled the biggest grandma Tesla driver in Australia....

• Funny
Reactions: bay74

Once you have an EV for a while you realise range anxiety is a non-issue. Start every day with a "full tank" (oversimplification with the 80% charge recommendation). On long trips the superchargers are brilliant (and 1000 time better than public infrastructure), and the stops are shorter and more pleasant than expectations.

Assuming your charging to 80%
Yep, that's why I'm checking for owners reports on ranges actually achieved.

I get more km’s than most, so if you’d like to drive like a grandma to achieve it then you may, may, may come within 10% of advertised (under normal driving conditions)

I would not compare Model 3 directly to the efficiency of Model S or Model X as both of the latter weigh considerably more, have larger tires and higher wind resistance as they are larger.
I have been looking at teslike tables to get an idea of the useful range at different speeds, but even those must be taken with a grain/bucket of salt as there are plenty of other factors like weather/temperature/rain/humidity, road surface smoothness, hills/road gradient, traffic and so on.
https://teslike.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/3-km-710.png

I've been in touch with a few insurance providers in NZ and the quote from insuremytesla (vero) is a lot cheaper on the site but the actual quote provided has been significantly higher... Apparently they may be readjusting their quotations as it wasn't accurate from the website - I don't think its my demographic thats causing the spike either - 28M / no previous accidents or claims / full license 10+ years. I'd be interested if anyone has received a quote they can action from Vero
hrm :(

I have just sent in my details. I hope not to have a repeat of your experience! Will report back.