Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In principle, containers can be offloaded at any port - Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth.

In practice, once offloaded Tesla then needs to check the vehicles over and get them ready for delivery. That's easiest in a centralised warehouse (or similar) - and they're not delivering enough volume, even with the Model 3, to justify having one of those in every Australian city with a port. I could see them opening up such a centre in Perth, given the geographical remoteness of WA from the east coast, but pretty much everywhere else would be sourced from somewhere on the east coast. Which almost certainly means Sydney.

It's nice to dream, but realistically, you're not going to see Tesla cars offloaded from the ship in Adelaide any time soon. Not unless volume surges dramatically, and frankly, I can't see that happening. Not at current pricing.

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

... oh. Wrong forum. Never mind. (I've never even played Half-Life ...)
originally tesla only offloaded in Sydney. In recent years after Richmond opened and ramped up they added Melbourne offloads.

Speaking of the discussion of Exchange Rate on this Thread, I've also been looking at it.
Does anyone know how regularly Tesla updates prices due to x-rates outside of the US?

There'd be some buffer built into their prices, but things are not looking good for the AUD.

Apart from the 6months after the GFC, we are at a 15-year low to the USD :confused:.

IMG
Agree that model 3s seem unlikely to get cheaper in either Aus or NZ anytime soon, and there could be an FX-related move higher. I have a vague recollection that tesla updates their international pricing 1-2 times per year, max.

• Informative
Reactions: tom_kauf
an indication of an imminent price increase due to a weaker dollar
things are not looking good for the AUD
I've been holding off ordering so far, waiting for an off-menu sans-AutoPilot "SR" to become available here (it's just SO MUCH money!), but after a chat with the wife last night following the Res Bank of NZ's move yesterday, and the general pessimism about the AU dollars' expected trajectory vis-a-vis the US dollar, I am going to pony up the $3k this week I think to 'lock in' the current price. Assuming that if I place the order they would need to honour that price at sale even if their prices did rise in the interim. (?)

I wonder whether the relative high cost of the LRAWD here (c.f. the other models) compared with the US is because it was introduced later than the SR+ and Performance, and Tesla got a 'worse' exchange rate with whomever they hedge these things as the economic mood went down...

I've been holding off ordering so far, waiting for an off-menu sans-AutoPilot "SR" to become available here (it's just SO MUCH money!), but after a chat with the wife last night following the Res Bank of NZ's move yesterday, and the general pessimism about the AU dollars' expected trajectory vis-a-vis the US dollar, I am going to pony up the $3k this week I think to 'lock in' the current price. Assuming that if I place the order they would need to honour that price at sale even if their prices did rise in the interim. (?)

I wonder whether the relative high cost of the LRAWD here (c.f. the other models) compared with the US is because it was introduced later than the SR+ and Performance, and Tesla got a 'worse' exchange rate with whomever they hedge these things as the economic mood went down...

I wouldn't hold your breath on the US$35k variant. They seem to want to sell as few of those as possible, while still technically offering them. Offering to more markets doesn't seem in keeping with that.

The SR+ is basically priced "correctly" in NZD, anyhow, once you factor exchange rate and GST. (I presume the same for AUD). The only ways I can see of getting one cheaper will be either (a) government incentives, (b) stronger NZD/AUD, or (c) wait for the current crop of obsessives to be selling theirs on, used, in 2 years.

Reactions: paulp
I wouldn't hold your breath on the US$35k variant
The only ways I can see of getting one cheaper will be either (a) government incentives, (b) stronger NZD/AUD, or (c) wait for the current crop of obsessives to be selling theirs on, used, in 2 years.
(a) only in 2021 or further
(b) lolz not with the world economy heading down the tubes and our interest rates cut to 1%
(c) when the model Y shows up there will be a few used ones out there

Yes I agree with the above, hence why I might just suck it up and place an order for the SR+ this evening.

Reactions: T3SLA3 and paulp
I looked it up. It's a destination charger. Having two small children and trying to get the whole drive to Eden done in a day I don't have a few hours I burn waiting for a charge and would prefer to keep the number of overall stops at 1.
I see there is a supercharger under construction in Nowra so maybe can use that one if it's available by then.

Oh man. I'm already feeling the range anxiety.

Edit: checking again I see it actually is an SC in Berry. Using "a better route planner" is awesome!
I'll incorporate that stop in my trip. Should be fine

You can also drive to Eden via Goulbourn, Canberra, Cooma. I usually drive this way to Merimbula (using ICE not Tesla yet). I find the kids get more carsick on the coast road. Cooma to Eden should be easy in a Tesla with the downhill (take it slow for the kids) and should give confidence for the return trip if you can get a full charge in Eden.

Actually one of the things I am worried about with the 3 is the handling and I am not sure if I can resist taking the corners too fast for my passengers;)

Reactions: jaykaye
Assuming that if I place the order they would need to honour that price at sale even if their prices did rise in the interim. (?)

You should be able exit the contract and get your money back if the sale price is increased. Under the Australian Consumer Law, there are protections against unfair terms in a consumer contract and I can't imagine why Tesla would not abide by that.

I’m not actually waiting for FSD, and I didn’t buy my tesla for it. I just cant believe the number of people that are falling for the dream and paying cash for something that doesnt exist and is on a never ending promise. As for people taking care in your taxi, you have way more faith in humanity than me.

Humanity overall may not be too bad, however individual persons when they do not believe anyone is keeping an eye on them (while they are alone in the autonomous taxi) tend to do worse things then they would if there was another person there (like a taxi driver). Looking at the crap you see even in taxi-s with drivers it would most likely be worse without a driver (even if there is a camera).

The cheaper SR version is available off menu in US only because Tesla advertised there that the car price starts from $35k, this is not available in other markets.
In Canada they have a different cheaper limited Model 3 to get government incentives:
https://electrek.co/2019/05/01/tesla-cheaper-model-3-canada-incentive/
Since there are no real government incentives in Australia, I doubt they will look at any cheaper options than SR+ for us at current state.

I do see the exchange rate going bad to worse and am getting more anxious by the minute. Apparently there is an increase in the FSD price coming end of next week, so if they do adjust prices, it is likely to be then, though I hope it will not happen.

A little birdie told me that us Aussies will experience the account change in our Tesla accounts early next week and I’m of the impression that what ever ship has our babies on board will be offloading for the entire country at the one port, or atleast only over the east. So the plan for SA customers like me is for the car to be sent straight to our house (more than likely with no Tesla rep). Also looks like a very late aug to early sep start to deliveries.

Last edited:
A little birdie told me that us Aussies will experience the account change in our Tesla accounts early next week and I’m of the impression that what ever ship has our babies on board will be offloading for the entire country at the one port, or atleast only over the east. So the plan for SA customers like me is for the car to be sent straight to our house (more than likely with no Tesla rep). Also looks like a very late aug to early sep start to deliveries.

Thanks for the info.
Pretty close to what we know/expected.

Was that late aug to early sep deliveries for SA? Or was it a more general statement?