Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2DAE286D-39EE-4D07-958A-C2E9A46D38E9.jpeg
Hopefully bringing Australia a cleaner and greener future!

Source is extremely, extremely, extremely (Don't make me say it again) close to the delivery process.

Total orders in Aus (reservations placed initial $1,500): ~7,000
Total who have placed configurations (paid $3,000): ~2,500
Total QLD orders: ~750
Funny you post this, because a little birdy told me that the first batch of Model 3s being delivered to Australia number 2,200. An exact number and aligned with your info above. Obviously I’m not about to reveal my source either, but I am confident they would actually know.

Insurance question - InsureMyTesla (Vero in NZ, presumably in Australia too) has stated in their quote:
“New car replacement after a total loss (up to 24 months or 40,000km)”

So what about after 24 months? I want full replacement value not $30k or something at “market value” after 2 years.

Anyone else seen this?

Insurance question - InsureMyTesla (Vero in NZ, presumably in Australia too) has stated in their quote:

So what about after 24 months? I want full replacement value not $30k or something at “market value” after 2 years.

Anyone else seen this?

At that point you need to either switch to agreed value if they offer it, or switch insurers...

Reactions: stuartl
Oh what a nanny state we are..

Wanting to keep out biological pests that would cause untold damage to agriculture in the country is hardly being a “nanny state”.

See also cane toads, rabbits, ...

Anyone else seen this?

This is standard insurance practice. There isn’t any insurance company on the planet that will insure for new replacement indefinitely. Doing so would be an open invitation for insurance fraud.

You can get an agreed value policy to reduce your risk, but there’s no chance you’ll get full new value after two years, three at most.

Wanting to keep out biological pests that would cause untold damage to agriculture in the country is hardly being a “nanny state”.

See also cane toads, rabbits, ...

This is standard insurance practice. There isn’t any insurance company on the planet that will insure for new replacement indefinitely. Doing so would be an open invitation for insurance fraud.

You can get an agreed value policy to reduce your risk, but there’s no chance you’ll get full new value after two years, three at most.
Cool thank you. Spot the guy who never bought a new car for $70k before...

Comparing cane toads and rabbits to cars?? My my what a nanny state we are indeed..

Yup. Because there's absolutely no way that stink bugs, locusts, wasps, cockroaches, ticks, spiders and the like could travel across the globe hidden inside nooks and crannies inside the car or container. No, all we need to do is put up a nice little sign saying "keep out". The quarantine industry stands to save a fortune thanks to this undiscovered insight.

Cool thank you. Spot the guy who never bought a new car for $70k before...
All good mate. It's not immediately obvious unless you work in the industry or have had it explained. :)

Pretty much all machinery over about $500 has depreciation associated with it - the basic idea is that you get value by using it, and because it wears out, the value you can extract as time goes on becomes less and less. It's exceedingly rare that a given piece of equipment doesn't wear out.

Over time, the depreciation schedule for electric cars will be worked out, and I'm sure it'll be better than the schedule for ICEs. In the meantime, the insurance industry is going to take a conservative approach and use the knowledge gleaned over decades of car insurance to value EVs.