Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's quite interesting how Perth and Adelaide (I think) are the first to get their calls scheduling delivery. Maybe it's because of the additional layer of logistics that are required to coordinate trucks out from Sydney which requires the extra planning.

Mine is going to Canberra and already went through Finance/ VIN / call pending invoice. P3D+ ordered in June updated July. I think maybe there aren't many other orders in my state with higher priority? I don't know. Hoping everyone gets their cars asap

I’m a 3/7/17 res, 6/6/19 order P3+ order.
Just spoke with Tesla and they are very conservative on delivery dates for us mid/early orders.

Their words “you should get your vehicle this year”!

Really!?? this years seems a bit much. They were guaranteeing by end of September for all intents and purposes up until recently. I'm also a June order and haven't heard any of this, and have been progressing along. I think maybe not all employees are up to speed. The delivery person knows best.

Reactions: SquatchM3
Is a 15A power point all you need? I have 3-phase and have a 3-phase cable in the garage waiting to be used. Do you know if I could get any more juice by using that cable?

15A plug is probably the cheapest way to do it (apart from standard wall plug), but it will limit your charging ability.

Tesla supplies a High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) with every car. It supports single/three phase up to 32 Amps.

So considering you already have three phase in your house, I'd recommend getting a three phase circuit run to your garage. Ideally, you would ensure the cabling is rated to carry 32A so you can set the charger to 32A per phase.

I do also believe, however that the Model 3 can't support this level of charge, so it may be overkill. I'm sure other people in this forum can weigh in on this.

• Informative
Reactions: jaykaye
Is a 15A power point all you need? I have 3-phase and have a 3-phase cable in the garage waiting to be used. Do you know if I could get any more juice by using that cable?

15A will get you around 20km per hour of charge, 3 Phase might get you 75 km per hour from the HPWC. I think the 15A will be enough, but I dont have the 3 phase availible to do that.

• Informative
Reactions: jaykaye
15A plug is probably the cheapest way to do it (apart from standard wall plug), but it will limit your charging ability.

Tesla supplies a High Powered Wall Charger (HPWC) with every car. It supports single/three phase up to 32 Amps.

So considering you already have three phase in your house, I'd recommend getting a three phase circuit run to your garage. Ideally, you would ensure the cabling is rated to carry 32A so you can set the charger to 32A per phase.

I do also believe, however that the Model 3 can't support this level of charge, so it may be overkill. I'm sure other people in this forum can weigh in on this.

Our Tesla Model S can't go over 11kw and neither can the Model 3. The fastest way to charge is with 3 phase @ 16A.

I believe the mobile charger doesn't go over 10A. If you put a flylead on the HPWC and set it for 15A, it'd charge faster, but that looks like a 20A wall plate to me.

Looking at the VIN spreadsheet, the only SR+ orders that have been assigned VINs are 3 in Perth and 3 in Auckland.

May not be many SR+ in the first shipment? Or maybe they are waiting to assign them for Au east coast orders?
The SR+ VIN that was in my source, but disappeared, is in the carjam.co.nz database. So I would think that somebody would be getting it before too long, if not me.

But why not get a 32A circuit installed for the HPWC? Just book the electrician to come mount the HPWC when you get a delivery date.
Yup, that is exactly my approach too. Spark works are done to support HPWC. He sends me a text every other day to check if he can come for the final install. Tesla’s delays have a contagious effect on the society. Do they even know about this epidemic of anxiety they are causing?

It's quite interesting how Perth and Adelaide (I think) are the first to get their calls scheduling delivery. Maybe it's because of the additional layer of logistics that are required to coordinate trucks out from Sydney which requires the extra planning.

As a Sydneysider... I'm hoping to get a call or final invoice, and be able to book delivery in the next week or two. :( :( :(
Tesla being tesla, maybe the first batch of cars have all been allocated to ‘non port’ locations such as qld, sa, and wa. You sydneysiders and melburnians may have to wait until after nz get the 2nd ship

Tesla being tesla, maybe the first batch of cars have all been allocated to ‘non port’ locations such as qld, sa, and wa. You sydneysiders and melburnians may have to wait until after nz get the 2nd ship
It would actually make sense to do the "easy" deliveries last, just before the end of the quarter, while giving themselves more time to truck cars to remote locations. But who knows.

It would actually make sense to do the "easy" deliveries last, just before the end of the quarter, while giving themselves more time to truck cars to remote locations. But who knows.
Tesla have told me in the past that when a batch of cars arrives they try and despatch the most distant ones first. They have also in the past required payment before that despatch occurs.