Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thorium MSR is always trotted out as the great hope of the future, along with hydrogen fuel cells. It’s hilarious.

The thing is that we no longer have a need to go down any form of nuclear path. We can generate all the energy we need and more using renewables at much lower cost and in a far more distributed manner. Scalable grid storage is rapidly becoming a thing. Both are only getting cheaper.

If Thorium MSR actually ever becomes a feasible grid generation source in terms of technology, it would be totally uneconomic, chasing a declining renewable cost curve that will just wipe it off the map. Renewables also aren’t dependent on fuel supply chains or have fuel waste disposal costs.
It’s the only baseload nuclear option (small scale and failsafe) & the CSIRO would be the right body to determine if it’s workable ie. rather than vested interests or internet experts.

Guys, This is how pretty much every car in Australia gets transported.
Ya, Just checked with my neighbour who bought an Aston Martin from Sydney (2nd hand) a couple of years ago. We are talking seriously more $ than a Tesla and he said it arrived like *sugar*, covered in crap. The exclusive dealer (there is only one for these brands in WA) didn't even bother cleaning it for delivery. Seems odd, but yes, seems like this is how cars are transported in Oz. Will have to check in fine detail on delivery to ensure any defects are clearly documented prior to acceptance of delivery.

Ya, Just checked with my neighbour who bought an Aston Martin from Sydney (2nd hand) a couple of years ago. We are talking seriously more $ than a Tesla and he said it arrived like *sugar*, covered in crap. The exclusive dealer (there is only one for these brands in WA) didn't even bother cleaning it for delivery. Seems odd, but yes, seems like this is how cars are transported in Oz. Will have to check in fine detail on delivery to ensure any defects are clearly documented prior to acceptance of delivery.
Yep. I work near the BMW dealership in Darlinghurst, Sydney and I see truckloads full of uncovered, unwrapped, unprotected cars on trucks driving up the main road every day.

Apparently in Australia and NZ we get the Wall Connector with our Teslas - is that all variants? It seems unnecessary for the SR+ since that has a slower in-built charger, and the UMC gets the same rate as the Wall Connector would. Any SR + owners paying to get the Wall Connector installed anyway?

Apparently in Australia and NZ we get the Wall Connector with our Teslas - is that all variants? It seems unnecessary for the SR+ since that has a slower in-built charger, and the UMC gets the same rate as the Wall Connector would. Any SR + owners paying to get the Wall Connector installed anyway?

Not true. All model 3's come with 11kw onboard chargers. Much faster than the 2.4 kw of the UMC.

Onboard Charger

Reactions: andygen21

All non-US model 3s have an 11kw charger on board. In the USA there is a difference, but not here.

The UMC will be much, much slower than the HPWC.

There is some incorrect (for our market) information that the SR+ only has a 7kw vs 11kw. Even then you would be at an advantage.

Aus/NZ is I think (if i remember correctly) the only market that comes with the HPWC for free, so be thankful for that and use it. :p

Have a look at the charging times.

Home Charging Installation

Australia / NZ:

upload_2019-8-25_7-13-32.png

USA:

upload_2019-8-25_7-12-57.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ranu

Our model 3s comes with 11kW charger according to Tesla.

Onboard Charger

Furthermore, the charging efficiency is higher with higher charging power.