Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay finally found the decoder for variant types from NSW. Registration costs & concessions

If you then compare this to RVCS: https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/perl/50079_1316046_RVD_19Jul2019083223.cmd

Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (E1RB)
Braked 1000kg Non-Braked 750kg

Tesla Model 3 Long range base (E3DB)

Tesla Model 3 Performance (E3DP)
Braked 500kg Non-Braked 500kg

Tesla Model 3 (E3RB)

We can see that those of us with a P+ (E3DP), cannot legally tow more than 500kg braked or unbraked.

The question then becomes, is Tesla importing the P- as a E3DB or a E3DP? Because if it is just the LR AWD unlocked, on paper the specs don't match up with the RVCS database. (360kw, vs 350kw). The brakes also won't match up. This could present a headache if there is ever an accident.

I haven't asked them, it's not a major big deal it'll just possibly mean my girlfriend can't drive my car which isn't exactly a bad thing! Haha.
Even if she can legally drive it it'll be under very controlled circumstances.

You can calculate your car’s power-to-weight ratio by dividing the maximum engine power in kilowatts by the tare mass in kilograms and multiplying the result by 1000.

For the SR+ that is 225kw / 1609 * 1000 = 139.84

From 1 January 2014, a new definition for a HPV has been introduced for cars manufactured on or after 1 January 2010.

A car manufactured on or after 1 January 2010 is a HPV if it has:
• a power-to-weight ratio of more than 130kW/t

So to answer your question, yes the SR is classified as a high performance vehicle and is prohibited.

Just took the Model 3 for an good 45min-60min drive and I am blown away with how good it is (this coming from a current S and X owner)....seriously fantastic car...I’m buying one but cannot decide on what colour to buy!
Do what I did - consider all aesthetics and combinations, give it many weeks thought then carefully select your preferences. Then ask your partner and change it to that.

You can calculate your car’s power-to-weight ratio by dividing the maximum engine power in kilowatts by the tare mass in kilograms and multiplying the result by 1000.

For the SR+ that is 225kw / 1609 * 1000 = 139.84

From 1 January 2014, a new definition for a HPV has been introduced for cars manufactured on or after 1 January 2010.

A car manufactured on or after 1 January 2010 is a HPV if it has:
• a power-to-weight ratio of more than 130kW/t

So to answer your question, yes the SR is classified as a high performance vehicle and is prohibited.

Thanks for that quick response!

Audio quality is the same, AWD has the sub enabled though. Speed is irrelevant in Australia - the only place you can go fast is the outback but due to the vast distances you need a gas car to go fast. On the coast the roads are too shitty/windy to go fast.

If you like road trips do not get the SR+. if you discharge from 90% to 10% you only get around 300km at 110kmh out of a charge. If there is no headwind that is. Not enough imho. Particularly in the North you want to be able to skip every 2nd electric highway charger so you need around 380-400km useable range at at 90-100kmh. The AWD does that very comfortably and allows for a few fast sprints in between during better road sections, the SR+ does not.

Sooner or later you might also want to come further inland. With the AWD you can still cruise at 70-80kmh and get 600km+ out of a charge. You really need that to cover any significant distances. You are limited to only 11kw AC 3 phase out here.

Thanks for your thoughts. By speed, I meant acceleration. Your points on the range are very valid.
I might see if they have a SR+ to test drive in Brisbane to do a comparison.
As a couple of friends have said, I will be keeping the car for a long while. Good to get the best one....

I would argue that driver fatigue causes more fatigue than speed in the outback. That you shouldn't drive 150kmh on a single carriageway without reservation with trees left and right goes without saying. It is an argument which always gets used but you seem to forget that we also have lots of wildlife in europe too. just doesnt look as cute.
Anyway what you say just supports my point that speed is irrelevant (which OP said was important to him).

Yes fatigue is a factor but then again the only state or territory in Australia with speed limits higher than 110kmh (NT) Has a road toll 4 times the average over the remainder of Australia.
And yes Europe may have wildlife but rarely on purpose built autobahns and rarely cattle that just wander out from the scrub any time they wish due to unfenced roads.

I known for QLD if you only have a powerful car available to drive you can request an exemption.
That’s why you still see teenagers driving performance versions of the cars.
This is the QLD HPV (high powered vehicle) exemption form.
https://www.support.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/formsdat.nsf/forms/QF4467/$file/F4467_CFD.pdf

I wouldn’t say the chances of getting this approved are zero, but they are as near to zero as you could get. These approvals are very rare, and the hardship you have to demonstrate would need to show that there is absolutely no other way to get around (bus, taxi, Uber etc).

Thanks for your thoughts. By speed, I meant acceleration. Your points on the range are very valid.
I might see if they have a SR+ to test drive in Brisbane to do a comparison.
As a couple of friends have said, I will be keeping the car for a long while. Good to get the best one....
I already asked Tesla Brisbane about trying out SR+ and they said they do not have one currently. Though once the delivery cars arrive, they might get a spare one for test drives. So please let us know if they have one when you ask them :)

Reactions: jason3w