Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for those of us in Canberra / Perth etc worried about how the vehicles are loaded onto a transport truck unprotected etc. Turns out we may not actually even have a choice in refusing the vehicle. This is from the Tesla order / delivery terms, and was reconfirmed on the phone.

"If, on your behalf, we are coordinating the shipping of the Vehicle to you via a third party common carrier, you agree that delivery of the Vehicle, including the transfer of title and risk of loss to you, will occur at the time your Vehicle is loaded onto the common carrier’s transport (i.e., FOB shipping point). The carrier will insure your Vehicle while in transit and you will be the beneficiary of any claims for damage to the vehicle or losses occurring while the vehicle is in the possession of a common carrier."

So basically rather than claiming delivery damage from Tesla, we would need to seek recompense from the delivery company. By the time you receive the car it's already registered, in your name, and the delivery guy is just there to drop it off.

When I ordered my Model 3, the forms said that delivery was not available to my address in the centre of Canberra. I was told that I would need to pick-up from Sydney - suits me - no worries about trucks, forced acceptance etc.

The carrier will insure your vehicle while in transit and you will be the beneficiary of any claims for damage to the vehicle or losses occurring while the vehicle is in the possession of a common carrier."

This statement may be in there for reasons related to which insurance company is responsible for the model 3 during the various stages of transit. Australian consumer law still applies. I wouldn't recommend nor expect anyone to accept a damaged vehicle as this would complicate the liability even further.

And of course we’re now at that predicted moment where some other manufacturers are catching up. Even down here in the arse end of the world we do now have viable alternatives either here or almost here such as the long Range Leaf and the Kona. THe model 3 requires 3 stops to get Melbourne to Canberra, the Kona - one stop (albeit with some careful driving for the second leg).

My advice (worth 2cents and round down): don’t get sucked in again with Model Y or “truck” reservations. Buy an S, or X, second hand so it’s cheaper, or a 3 in a couple of months once wait times are down to a few weeks and you can buy it and book a delivery date straight away.

It's easy to overstate the impact of alternatives like the Kona without considering the whole Tesla ecosystem and experience and especially the limted availablility of alternative models. Better route planner does show the Kona doing one stop Melb to Canberra but the second leg is at 85km/hr and the total charge time of 1hr 6mins and total trip time of 8hrs 34mins. A Tesla M3 LRAWD will take 2 stops but can drive at full speed, only needs 23mins charging and the total trip time is 7hrs 4mins, 1.5 hours less! Even an SR+ will beat the Kona by over an hour. I know what brand I'd rather be driving.

My strategy has been to order a SR+ now to support Telsas mission and help accelerate the move to sustainable transport (plus why wait). In a few years time I'll add a MYLR to it by which time I expect battery/charging tech to have substantially increased range with a lower effective price.

Not having a go at the ones without reservations getting theirs before reservation holders. Not their fault. If I were in their shoes I would be stoked.

Exactly. As someone without an early reservation I'm quite happy that Tesla's delivery "strategy" means I might get a car earlier than I otherwise would.

Just got a call, picking up my black P3- this Friday at 9am in Sydney.

Hey Tesla, I'll have what he's having. Except replace 'black' with 'silver', and 'Sydney' with 'Brisbane'.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
When I ordered my Model 3, the forms said that delivery was not available to my address in the centre of Canberra. I was told that I would need to pick-up from Sydney - suits me - no worries about trucks, forced acceptance etc.

I don't think you will be able to do this, just to prepare yourself. My address is smack in the middle (by parliament) and they are delivering on a truck. Told me on the phone no way at all to pickup in Sydney (even though the online thing defaults to Sydney).

When they call you they will fill you in, the online system isn't setup correctly. I even offered to pickup in Sydney and was declined. I think it's actually easier for them because that's one less person to have to come in to the delivery centre.

Reactions: baillies
This. However, watch who you talk to - there are, I've found, a lot of people who don't want to hear about how fast/cheap/cool your new car is. It's amazing how polarising EV's are, and there are still a lot of Murdoch-reading petrol head bogans out there. Time is on our side, of course.
I ran into that issue just yesterday. Was on a motorcycle mountain ride with a few mates and they had a friend with them. I mentioned I am getting a Tesla and he was so negative about electric cars. He is a self proclaimed petrol head. Does not like anything that cannot be fitted with a resonator to make the engine noise louder and hates everything that does not have at least 6 gears hates even petrol cars with automatic transmission). Was a bit strange to hear such a complete opposite view. I mentioned petrol cars poisoning our home and he said he does not care as he does not plan to live more than 20 more years anyways and has no issue leaving the world unliveable when he is gone. So there are people like that and we can only hope they are a minority.

So there are people like that and we can only hope they are a minority.

Don't worry about these people, history has a way of relegating them to the dust pile.

Horses -> cars, industrial revolution, internet, mobile phones etc it's nothing new. It's generally the old fogies who can't/won't adjust. I don't evangelize electric cars, they sort of sell themselves once people take a ride.