Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would it cost anything more? I should be able to give people rides without even informing them. Passengers in my car are my business.
Do you think an insurance company would pay anything if you had a smash injuring a paying passenger?
Uber will cover the passenger, but your non-disclosure will void all claims for any damage.
I wanted to rideshare my Model 3 too, but found it impossible to get affordable insurance.

Why would it cost anything more? I should be able to give people rides without even informing them. Passengers in my car are my business.

Because you'll be using the car for business purposes. In order to drive Uber in VIC you'll be on the Commercial vehicles register and need to register your numberplate there. Insurance companies (and the public) get a spreadsheet which is publicly available. This is run during claims time. Also you have to declare if you were driving for reward.

I don't doubt you, however, from a perspective of pure logic, there is no functional difference between me giving a ride to someone, vs. a ride-share scenario.
TAC pays the personal injury, the Ride Share company covers Professional Indemnity, Public Liability and I cover the car as I do when I drive for any reason. They (My insurance) endure no additional risk.
Seems more like an excuse to 'take a cut' of any additional income.
This then turns a part time 'do it when I can' into a 'I have to do it this often to break even'! Very annoying when you just want to promote EV's.

The only risk difference is hours on the road, and I will be spending a lot of time on the road, even if I never ride share, with no impact to premiums.

Just got another call - the delivery team has had to move my delivery date again - this time to the 12th of September, the latest move is because they've found that the 12V battery in the car needs to be replaced prior to delivery.

Frustrating that the date keeps moving, but I'd prefer to get a car that works than one that doesn't - if the 12V battery is dead, I think the car basically stops working as the 12V runs all of the electricals inside, and the main battery recharges it periodically?

Why would it cost anything more?

Because you'll be driving the car a lot more frequently than you otherwise would have, with more passengers than you otherwise would have, and with passengers that you know and trust significantly less than your immediate friends and family.

I should be able to give people rides without even informing them. Passengers in my car are my business.

It may be worth confirming that your policy doesn't have wtte "no business use" before making passengers your business.

Reactions: andygen21
Does make you wonder, though. AA can swap one of those out for you in 20 minutes.

Yep, but if you've got a few hundred vehicles that all need new batteries at once supply could be an issue.

Though I don't know why Tesla didn't just use a DC-to-DC converter for 12V loads to run everything off the main battery pack. Guess maybe for safety/redundancy if the main pack fails, or something.

While waiting for a call from Tesla, have booked a roadtrip in January to a couple of places in Tassie that're listed on Plugshare as having electric car charging. Should be fine with the distance each day (SR+), but for one leg will need to stop at one of the available rapid chargers.

Hopefully by then the Campbell Town rapid DC charger that's promised by the end of 2019 will be operational to make things even easier...