Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, but if you've got a few hundred vehicles that all need new batteries at once supply could be an issue.

Though I don't know why Tesla didn't just use a DC-to-DC converter for 12V loads to run everything off the main battery pack. Guess maybe for safety/redundancy if the main pack fails, or something.
Yes. But, surely sourcing batteries for your first few deliveries wouldn't be too taxing?

Ironic that the problem is with one of the few bits of old school tech: just your plain old 12v car battery.

Does make you wonder, though. AA can swap one of those out for you in 20 minutes.
Ironic yes! I was reading a bit about the 12v as I only vaguely knew there was one in the car. Turns out the Model 3 has a unique battery from the other Tesla’s. My guess is they simply don’t have enough in the country so they are shipping enough over (air most likely). Just speculating. Here is a pretty good article describing the system in detail...

12 Volt Battery Compendium | TeslaTap

And so it begins.... Should start a Tesla delivery excuses Bingo.

-invoice system issues
-12v battery

The 12v battery issue is a legitimate excuse, this was a problem in early model S being shipped long distance. I would say Tesla Australia are taking no risks and being proactive (hard to believe I know!) they won't want customers to drive out and get the battery warning light on the first weekend away up the coast somewhere. I know of a few early model S drivers who took delivery and within days the warning light came on, the car is still driveable but it can result in some negative customer reaction.

Reactions: 1st in Line
Just got another call - the delivery team has had to move my delivery date again - this time to the 12th of September, the latest move is because they've found that the 12V battery in the car needs to be replaced prior to delivery.

Frustrating that the date keeps moving, but I'd prefer to get a car that works than one that doesn't - if the 12V battery is dead, I think the car basically stops working as the 12V runs all of the electricals inside, and the main battery recharges it periodically?
This sounds a bit like an excuse as @khayyam mentioned the battery swap should be less than half an hour job. Pushing it back days for that seems wrong.

Ironic yes! I was reading a bit about the 12v as I only vaguely knew there was one in the car. Turns out the Model 3 has a unique battery from the other Tesla’s. My guess is they simply don’t have enough in the country so they are shipping enough over (air most likely). Just speculating. Here is a pretty good article describing the system in detail...

12 Volt Battery Compendium | TeslaTap

Really interesting. Thanks for the link.

Given there are numerous people encountering this problem, I would guess the issue is likely down to either a bad batch of 12V batteries, or
a bad batch of DC-DC converters. Let's hope it is the former.

Also curious that the 3 has a bigger 45Ah battery compared to the 33Ah in the S/X.

Reactions: Sparty93
Pushing it back days for that seems wrong.
You'd think, but if they don't have a ready supply of replacement batteries, I can easily see it taking a week for additional stock to come in, especially if they need a few hundred. It's not the replacement time - it's availability of the replacements that's the most likely cause.

I don't doubt you, however, from a perspective of pure logic, there is no functional difference between me giving a ride to someone, vs. a ride-share scenario.
TAC pays the personal injury, the Ride Share company covers Professional Indemnity, Public Liability and I cover the car as I do when I drive for any reason. They (My insurance) endure no additional risk.
Seems more like an excuse to 'take a cut' of any additional income.
This then turns a part time 'do it when I can' into a 'I have to do it this often to break even'! Very annoying when you just want to promote EV's.

The only risk difference is hours on the road, and I will be spending a lot of time on the road, even if I never ride share, with no impact to premiums.

It may be logical to you, but it is the insurance company that offers the insurance on their terms. You can either accept, decline or search for another offer. Alternatively, you could self insure.

The 12v battery issue is a legitimate excuse

It could be. I'm about 50/50 on it. I mean, it's possible, sure. But every battery in every car checked out fine at the factory and then needs replacing ~2 months later? And only for the ones that came to Australia (since there have been confirmed NZ deliveries, so NZ cars either okay...or small enough in number that there were enough replacement batteries readily available :D)?

Doesn't seem entirely plausible. Especially if it was a known issue with the Model S. In which case it's fair enough to expect Tesla to have planned for/mitigated against 12V battery issues well in advance.

If you are wearing out your F5/Refresh key, you could try using the following Chrome Extension: "Distill Web Monitor"
It seems to support the authentication required by Tesla My Account. I've had one or two false positives, but it seems to do the job. I'm waiting for my invoice to appear in my account or some other change.

This 12v battery issue is pathetic from so many points of view.
1) why have so many failed simultaneously
2) why has Tesla 0 spares. ( I've been told only 1 vehicle has been shipped to a Sydney customer.
3) Why 2 weeks to get replacements

The fact is now Tesla have all our money. I'm not happy and have asked for funds to be returned until car is ready. (Or some other form of compensation). No more Mr nice guy.

Test drove model 3P this morning.
The car was even better than I expected in many ways. For example, The road noise from the larger 20" wheels (which are known to be a little more noisy) was lower than I expected and completely acceptable- I am fussy about that.
Got use to the speedo on the screen in about 15 seconds. The acceleration, well, that just has to be experienced.

The suspension is firmer in the performance but was still surprisingly comfortable and a lot less rigid than say a Golf GTI.

Now, just like everyone else, just looking forward to delivery.

If your friends and work colleagues don't know what car to buy next just take them for a ride. The Tesla will sell itself.

This 12v battery issue is pathetic from so many points of view.
1) why have so many failed simultaneously
2) why has Tesla 0 spares. ( I've been told only 1 vehicle has been shipped to a Sydney customer.
3) Why 2 weeks to get replacements

The fact is now Tesla have all our money. I'm not happy and have asked for funds to be returned until car is ready. (Or some other form of compensation). No more Mr nice guy.

This is solved easily, Tesla allow you to take delivery of your car early with a potentially faulty 12v battery, in return you sign a disclaimer stating that when you pack the car full of family and friends for a weekend away in the first weeks of taking delivery, drive a few hundreds kilometres and the 12v warning light comes on you'll wear all embarrassment, ridicule and associated costs, it could be titled the put up or shut up document.

Reactions: tom_kauf and Dakah3