Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up for those that have not been able to find their VIN...

I was in the same boat, although regarding a MX rather than a 3. I ordered on 9 July and then checked every few weeks for a VIN... nothing. Just the dreaded Hidden VIN message.

Then I stumbled on this trick on one of the Canadian pages. Enter the following address in your browser:

view-source:Tesla SSO – Login

and replace the RN with your reservation. Doesn't matter that the reference is to the Canadian webiste. Then search for a "5Y" number and if a car has been allocated to you your VIN will be present.

I found mine, 5YJXDCE20KF186XXX, which looks legitimate as a buyer in Canada who ordered on 10 July also has a 186xxx VIN and has already received their Model X.

Hopefully this might help some of us who are worried that our call has not progressed in the queue!

Now if only we had a shipping manifest for Model Xs like the one Vedaprime has put together for the 3. I may have found the VIN but still have no idea what boat the car in on or when it might arrive!

Only for rich(er) people. For most it is not possible to just throw money at this.

You're throwing money at a $70,000+ car when a combination of public transport and ride sharing would be a far better financial alternative, the second alternative that is a $25,000 Camry that will get you from A to B in the same time. So I also assume you live in the bare basic home that is sufficient to get from one day to the next, recycle all building materials and furniture rather than purchase new to impress the in laws, don't have a swimming pool, and lastly never dine out because there is absolutely no return on investment in any of those.

So in summary people can purchase whatever they damn we'll choose, waste it or invest it on anything that gives them pleasure because there's a fair chance they may have well worked hard for it, but anyone who concerns themselves with ROI really needs to look at their full lifestyle.

Last edited:
You're throwing money at a $70,000+ car when a combination of public transport and ride sharing would be a far better financial alternative, the second alternative that is a $25,000 Camry that will get you from A to B in the same time. So I also assume you live in the bare basic home that is sufficient to get from one day to the next, recycle all building materials and furniture rather than purchase new to impress the in laws, don't have a swimming pool, and lastly never dine out because there is absolutely no return on investment in any of those.

I think what he's saying is he doesn't care about a battery and would rather spend his money on a car that brings him joy. While you may get joy from a battery pack, I'd rather drive a fast car and live in a nice house.

People have their own priorities.

Reactions: MonicaPlease

So in summary people can purchase whatever they damn we'll choose, waste it or invest it on anything that gives them pleasure because there's a fair chance they may have well worked hard for it, but anyone who concerns themselves with ROI really needs to look at their full lifestyle.

No I disagree. Ppl can choose what they do actually. I am not puritanical.

I am keen on the car cause its good and I don't want to buy another ICE. And I made that decision in 2016.

I believe in climate change.I invested in pv which has a long roi in my situation.

I dont think my decision is going to make the difference to climate change but I hope many more ppl will move

But I'm not going to buy a battery until they are more economic. Too expensive in my particular situation.

And I realise the choices I have are a luxury.

Ideology is expensive for most.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I haven't done anything out of the ordinary other than periodically emailing them (every 2-3 weeks since the start of August)

I've been quietly letting them go about their business. Figured it was a good strategy for getting my car as soon as possible.

But if the reward for being patient is getting ignored, I might have to start nagging them every few weeks too. :)

For most it is not possible to just throw money at this.

Fair enough, however that doesn't make the reasons that some people cite for spending the money on batteries non-reasons.

Reactions: 1st in Line
Today 2/9/2019
Great. Well then. You are the first known from Brotonne Bridge. Cars were spotted on trailers near Sydney airport - probably coming from the port going to Autonexus.

(This will frustrate the people not having received calls from the earlier ships - myself included.

But congrats to you, I see you were a very early reservation holder, so am glad you got the call.

Even if I got my cost from current $400 per year to $0, with Powerwall costing $11,700, it would take 29 years to break even. I consider that a little too long. EDIT: and that is without installation cost.
Everyone’s situation is different. If you are not a large electricity user, or use the majority of power during the day and not at night, a battery is unlikely to make sense.

In our case, we were spending well over $4k p.a. on grid electricity. Our first post-solar electricity bill was more than $1000 less than the corresponding quarter last year. The next bill may even be in credit! The economics look different in that scenario.

Last edited:
Yeah I absolutely never said that?

I felt the opening comment about concerns beyond ROI being only for rich(er) people implied something to that effect (like "silly rich people, throwing money away for frivolous reasons").

Of course, with the ROI on a vehicle (any vehicle, even an EV) being markedly worse than the ROI on batteries, we've got an entire thread full of silly rich people throwing money away on frivolous things that will never produce any notable ROI. :D

I felt the opening comment about concerns beyond ROI being only for rich(er) people implied something to that effect (like "silly rich people, throwing money away for frivolous reasons").

Of course, with the ROI on a vehicle (any vehicle, even an EV) being markedly worse than the ROI on batteries, we've got an entire thread full of silly rich people throwing money away on frivolous things that will never produce any notable ROI. :D
I am a rich(er) person throwing money away on something that is a hopeless investment.