Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it might have been a standing 18 hour time, and they realised it wasn’t enough.

White is still back of the current queue.

There’s no slack. Cap Capricorn in total (aunz) had the same number on it what was sold by Tesla in the whole of 2016 in Australia. The first 4 ships equal the whole of 2017 - in one month of shipments.

Logistics hell - tick

So, you reckon that the first ship had 500-600 on board and 1,100 - 1,200 across the first four? What do you think the split is between Australia and New Zealand?

From the NZ fb group
"I also just got a call too."
"I was never a reservation holder, and we did an order on the 18th of Aug."

I'm glad they are getting their car but WTAF?? I know I am not first in the queue either but WHAT THE F*** tesla at least pretend there is a queue?
This is why I cancelled my reservation a while back - it was clear that Tesla could produce our needs in a week or 2, hence reservations were pointless.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Well this is strange. I only ordered a week ago and I already got a VIN: 5YJ3F7EAXKF4428XX
I did have a reservation since Jan 2018, but that is not a very early reservation. only about 20 months. But I placed the order on 26 August. This VIN looks to be from the first couple of boat loads and should already be in Australia.
I ordered SR+ with MSM paint and no other options.
The VIN did not show up under the account: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RN109107XXX
It did show up in the URL suggested earlier here: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/product-finalize?rn=RN109107XXX

Last edited:
So, you reckon that the first ship had 500-600 on board and 1,100 - 1,200 across the first four? What do you think the split is between Australia and New Zealand?

The first was 500 across AUNZ.

The rest is speculation, but the vin ranges support Brotonne being the same as Cap Capricorn, Warrnambool a bit smaller than the other 2, and Kota much smaller. 2017 was just over 1400 sold in AU.

The NZ numbers are currently over 50 found on registered on carjam. Some vehicles not found yet. The number of monthly registrations from the govt will be a good indicator of how many more were registered in August. 150 is still the number I am aware of for NZ ship 1- but not all will be registered yet. We will know better by end of September. The ratio of AU to NZ seems to be about 5-6:1, so it should be a bit higher closer to 200-240 as plausible for NZ

Well this is strange. I only ordered a week ago and I already got a VIN: 5YJ3F7EAXKF4428XX
I did have a reservation since Jan 2018, but that is not a very early reservation. only about 20 months. But I placed the order on 26 August. This VIN looks to be from the first couple of boat loads and should already be in Australia.
I ordered SR+ with MSM paint and no other options.
The VIN did not show up under the account: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/profile?rn=RN109107XXX
It did show up in the URL suggested earlier here: https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/teslaaccount/product-finalize?rn=RN109107XXX

Sounds like there is a whole lot of inventory stock on all those boats that will help the quarter end registration numbers. Inventory stock once in store sells for less than ordered units. Just sayin....

• Disagree
Reactions: raynewman
You're throwing money at a $70,000+ car when a combination of public transport and ride sharing would be a far better financial alternative, the second alternative that is a $25,000 Camry that will get you from A to B in the same time. So I also assume you live in the bare basic home that is sufficient to get from one day to the next, recycle all building materials and furniture rather than purchase new to impress the in laws, don't have a swimming pool, and lastly never dine out because there is absolutely no return on investment in any of those.

So in summary people can purchase whatever they damn we'll choose, waste it or invest it on anything that gives them pleasure because there's a fair chance they may have well worked hard for it, but anyone who concerns themselves with ROI really needs to look at their full lifestyle.
People can and will purchase whatever they can afford. If I had an extra $12-$15k, I would buy a powerwall in a heartbeat. If I purchased a powerwall now, I would not be able to afford Model 3 for at least another year or more. There is no useful public transport between the area I live and place I work and I have to take my son to school daily, so alternative to owning a car would be taxi or ride share and doing that 3 times a day daily, will be more expensive than even Model 3. I have no pool or other impressive features hence the low power bills now that solar is on. Getting another ICE car and a powerwall in my situation will be worse for the environment than getting a Model 3 and NO powerwall. Also there is a considerably higher feel good factor from owning a cool car to owning some batteries on the garage wall. So we make our choices considering our means and benefits. Most of us have to deal with limited resources and balance them to our best abilities.

So for Brisbane, someone who got The Call yesterday was given the option of half hour slots, told more than 20 deliveries per day- this would mean more than one slot is available.

So this puts Brisbane deliveries at a possible 20-32 per day if 9-5pm (maybe more Thursday night). The vast majority so far seem to be in the last week of September. I was told 2 weeks to deliveries on Saturday. The earliest I have heard is sometime in week of 16th would be the first. Anyone confirmed before 20th in Brisbane?

Nobody seems to have a weekend delivery option yet.

silly rich people throwing money away on frivolous things that will never produce any notable ROI. :D

For most of us, myself included, ROI considerations are a post-justification. We bought the cars primarily for emotional reasons. But it's nice to have a car that's cheap to run as well as all the other good things.

For house batteries, I suspect we will all be a bit more homo economicus. It's the same house and the same electricity, after all.

Reactions: paul3
For most of us, myself included, ROI considerations are a post-justification. We bought the cars primarily for emotional reasons. But it's nice to have a car that's cheap to run as well as all the other good things.

For house batteries, I suspect we will all be a bit more homo economicus. It's the same house and the same electricity, after all.
Solar+battery is definitely less fun. Mind you I want that too.

Reactions: 1st in Line
upload_2019-9-3_8-59-51.png

That's it, it's happened.

I've officially refreshed too often and Tesla has banned my IP from refreshing any further, lol.
I've used their monthly bandwidth allocation!

So for Brisbane, someone who got The Call yesterday was given the option of half hour slots, told more than 20 deliveries per day- this would mean more than one slot is available.

So this puts Brisbane deliveries at a possible 20-32 per day if 9-5pm (maybe more Thursday night). The vast majority so far seem to be in the last week of September. I was told 2 weeks to deliveries on Saturday. The earliest I have heard is sometime in week of 16th would be the first. Anyone confirmed before 20th in Brisbane?

Nobody seems to have a weekend delivery option yet.
Yesterday I heard there was speculation that a 16th of September may be possible by the store manager.
He didn't seem overly sure, but sounded like he may have been trying to provide some information, without.....providing information.

Yesterday I heard there was speculation that a 16th of September may be possible by the store manager.
He didn't seem overly sure, but sounded like he may have been trying to provide some information, without.....providing information.
Pretty sure they know a little more than they are allowed to reveal and also they have been told that all they know about this can change, so they should not advertise it, as it may not be accurate if things change.

Reactions: Random206
I felt the opening comment about concerns beyond ROI being only for rich(er) people implied something to that effect (like "silly rich people, throwing money away for frivolous reasons").

Of course, with the ROI on a vehicle (any vehicle, even an EV) being markedly worse than the ROI on batteries, we've got an entire thread full of silly rich people throwing money away on frivolous things that will never produce any notable ROI. :D

I have a car here which has tripled in price over the past 5 years (Evolution Lancer 6.5 Tommi Makkinen Edition), and you can say the same for many others - heck I sold my my old datsun 1600 I bought for $500 in 1990 recently for $25K - cash which was put towards my model 3 performance. ROI is a real thing for some vehicles, provided you choose the right ones. There is also evidence that the devaluation of high range EVs is far less than normal ICE vehicles, and of course running costs are much lower (around 1/3) such that total cost of ownership for the EV over 5 years or more can actually be less than a comparable (but crappier) ICE Total Cost Of Ownership: Tesla Model 3 vs. Toyota Camry & Audi A5 | CleanTechnica So why would anyone buy a camry (which itself signals a slow death from boredom) if you can afford to stretch to a model 3 ? Hint: - fuel costs in Australia are way higher than in the US, so expect an even more compelling TCO case over here.

Reactions: aegidius