Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few minor defects like a dent in the rear, a paint chip and one paint defect, driver side door panels not matching and what looks like sound proofing hanging out the bottom on both sides...but nothing major and nothing that can't be fixed easily. .

Firstly, congrats on the car. I am currently weighing up whether to buy or not, so have just found this site and registered. YOU ALL make me somewhat jealous. AS a VW Golf owner (current model with drivers assist) I am looking to the future and quite like the M3 Tesla. My dilemma? Should I wait to see the VW ID3?

But then I read the above quote from TH232. Honestly, I can't believe how unconcerned you appear to be about these "minor defects"...on a car costing north of $70k on the road this is just plainly unacceptable.

I would be interested to know what would have happened had you declined to take the car, as I most assuredly would have not done so.

If you don't and its something that can be done without needing Tesla specific assistance I'd be inclined to get it done privately then send them the bill.

I think everyone should have a good long read of this thread, just as a preview of potential future issues with parts and repairs. This will be an even bigger issue I am forecasting for Australia, because of the lack of lots of Model 3s compared to the US. In addition to the even smaller skeleton crew Tesla has working here.

How to order parts for Model 3? Tesla lambasted body shop

Did a quick video of the delivery process for Perth. Extremely quick. Under 5 min. You can guess the name I want to call the car if you see the video. However living in a house with 3 women I doubt I'll get away with it. Photos of the small defects at the end of the video. Delivery lady (melbourne) admitted mine was the only 2nd delivery she had handled and she didn't know all the answers to my questions but for sure she consulted with her supervisor and got the answers promptly....Obviously Tesla has a very new team doing these deliveries. Delivery team immediately confirmed (on asking) homelink will be retrofitted at no cost when available...but lifelong premium connectivity...that seems like that will be a fight. Since I only got to drive it a few minutes before the wife claimed it as hers and took off doing after school stuff with the kids I don't have much feedback other than it accelerates and handles way better than my '73 detomaso Pantera..which ain't no slouch! Younger daughter (13) is enthralled and literally spent 2 hrs in the car in the garage playing with absolutely everything. The older daughter (15) is completely indifferent, only interested in the music options with the car. Odometer on invoice 3Km, on delivery 7km. Summary: Bloody awesome.

GREAT VIDEO - enjoy!

Reactions: MonicaPlease
To check if they received the funds, looking at the website source code like we do with searching for our VIN but instead search for “rawamount”. You’ll be able to see all the payments you would have made in the source code.

Dont ask me why a high tech company can’t build that into their website and instead the customers have to search the website’s source code!
Thanks @djayz very helpful

Should I wait to see the VW ID3?
If you are prepared to wait until 2023, as that's the earliest it will be here. By then the model 3 will have changed quite a bit too.
My advice is go for a test drive in a model 3...most likely you'll be putting an order in, as it is an entirely different driving experience to a Golf. The other consideration is, do you want to support a car company that has lied to buyers about emissions and tried to hide it?

I think everyone should have a good long read of this thread, just as a preview of potential future issues with parts and repairs. This will be an even bigger issue I am forecasting for Australia,

Why are you buying one then? I get that you are super annoyed about not getting your 3 yet, but making statements about parts and service in the future with the only basis being Tesla haven't communicated with you about your delivery date is a bit rough. How many people have need parts/service for their model 3s that have been delivered in Australia so far?

Reactions: sabretooth
Why are you buying one then? I get that you are super annoyed about not getting your 3 yet, but making statements about parts and service in the future with the only basis being Tesla haven't communicated with you about your delivery date is a bit rough. How many people have need parts/service for their model 3s that have been delivered in Australia so far?

I'm buying one because it's a novelty and a fast toy. I have 4 other cars that I drive when I feel like, so when this one has issues it's not as big of a deal. Friends in the US are having issues right now with taillight parts with Tesla, having to wait 3 weeks. Do you really think it's going to be better here?

The reality is that these issues exist, and treating them like they don't is another Tesla fanboi/employee approach.

They haven't focused enough in Melbourne though.
From the reports so far it does seem they are focusing more on Sydney and Brisbane. I am hoping to get mine from Brisbane in 12 days if the current delivery time continues to stand. I got my delivery call already over a week ago, but got my finance approved only today, so I hope the paperwork will not cause any delays.

How many people have need parts/service for their model 3s that have been delivered in Australia so far?
I think that's why he said forecasting.

Personally, I believe chance of failure would be quite small. But if I had an accident, it could be a long wait to get replacement parts. Hence why I have been considering RACV insurance because of standard not-at-fault accident car hire on a comprehensive policy.

Dont ask me why a high tech company can’t build that into their website

There's probably relatively little crossover between vehicle design and web development, skills-wise. Possible exception for the infotainment unit, although I think that runs platform-native applications rather than apps built with anything like a hybrid-web framework (and also doesn't the infotainment unit have known issues with random reboots?). In which case still relatively little crossover.

I wouldn't really want a web developer (even a good one) building my car. Seems to follow that people who are good at building cars can't be expected to also be good at building webapps.

And anything that's not of or in the vehicle is likely a secondary concern for Tesla. Take their mobile app, for instance. The functionality it provides for things like the Powerwall is basic. It draws some nice graphs, but until recently it was impossible to get daily stats for anything other than 'Today' and 'Yesterday'. It has an "Inbox" containing one perpetually 'New' message from 2018 promising that important updates will be delivered there that I cannot dismiss or mark as read, and no other messages have ever appeared; despite the in-app inbox being a perfect place to deliver things like order updates, copies of documents, and so on.

Tesla is a good tech company, but they're not really a software company. They seem to have a "just barely good enough" standard that applies to ancillary/supporting things like websites and apps. And fair enough, as long as their cars remain better than their websites and apps.

Personally, I believe chance of failure would be quite small. But if I had an accident, it could be a long wait to get replacement parts. Hence why I have been considering RACV insurance because of standard not-at-fault accident car hire on a comprehensive policy.
AAMI have unlimited car hire for at fault (unless I read my current policy wrong) for not much more cost

Umm, basically the whole car is based on a very sophisticated machine learning piece of software designed to make it a robot?

Maybe, if you credit the hype. Though it's yet to be demonstrated and the Model 3 is a very good car quite aside from any of that. I don't intend on using any of the automation functions; spoils all the fun. :)

ML/data science is also a different discipline from web/mobile app development. I just don't see an automatic link between building cars, even sophisticated, highly automated, software-driven cars and having any particular level of skill at web and mobile UX.

This is a quote from a Tesla approved body shop on reddit. If this doesn't sum it up and encourage people to get hire car insurance, if they dont have alternate transport I dont know what will...

upload_2019-9-18_12-42-49.png

Source: Doing a complete rear end on a 19 Model S 100D. 100% approved Tesla repair : teslamotors