Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have said, with Model 3 you are pretty well covered:
  • Tesla Superchargers
  • NRMA DC Fast Chargers have a CCS2 plug on them
  • Take your UMC and tails with you, and you can plug in to any standard 10A or 15A socket.
The only thing I’d get would be one of these:

J1772 to 62196-2 Type 2 Converter 32A in SAE J1772 Connectors for Sale

That way you could plug into a tethered J-1772 charger that has no other plugs on it. But they are becoming increasingly rare (the equipment will either have more than one plug type on it, or is co-located with other chargers that have CCS2). The Plugshare App is your friend as to showing you what publicly accessible electricity is available, where, and the type of plug.

If you're travelling north of Brisbane you'll need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable as a lot of the Qld Electric Superhighway chargers are BYO cable Queensland's Electric Super Highway | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government

Reactions: HighlyCharged
If you're travelling north of Brisbane you'll need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable as a lot of the Qld Electric Superhighway chargers are BYO cable Queensland's Electric Super Highway | Transport and motoring | Queensland Government
Given the imminent demise of the old type 1 chargers, that is probably more useful to be honest.

Another option, for those that love spending money, is to get a JuiceBooster 2 with a full set of tails. For Australia I would get 10A, 15A single phase, 20A and 32A three phase, type 2 and maybe type 1. If I were travelling in remote areas, I might be inclined to buy their 10m extension cable as well, which sits between the tail and the juice booster and preserves connector type signalling as well as water resistance. If only they did not start at $2200 :-(

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Um, did you upload the right video? I see no male vandal at 0:22, just a young mum with bub :)

I was just doing what the rest of the media is doing - attention grabbing headlines and misleading commentary about anything to do with Tesla...

At 0.22 there were two distinct soft taps with his foot.

Just thought it was cute little baby and needed to come up with an excuse to post the Sentry footage.

Fascinating how much power is consumed by Sentry Mode vs driving the car. No wonder modern data centres are major consumers of electricity... but also highlights just how bloody efficient Model 3 electric transportation is!

OK, I give up... I need to take the SR+ from Sydney to Port Macquarie but there is a lack of charging infrastructure specific from Tesla Corp. i.e. superchargers on the route. If we go off piste, I risk losing charge. I can take the UMC but it is single phase and slow as a snail even at 15 amps (if you can ever find a socket at that). What should I be buying? Type 1 to type 2 converter cable (single phase again)? 3 phase charger to type 2 (expensive!) for 11KW? I am a bit lost on what is best. It seems most off piste is 3 phase in Aus and I am about to wire the home connector to the wall so that aint joining me. They should have had a 3 phase UMC supplied with the car IMHO.
20180208_085427.jpg
Why hardwire the HPWC. Better to make it mobile via a 3phase socket and plug. Easier to change if it fails also.
If you can find a Gen1 UMC that will deliver 11kw to a M3 via RedEuro adaptor.

The Electric Super Highway sites have Tritium Veefil 50kW chargers with CCS 2 and CHAdeMO, so no cable or adapter needed for Model 3.

All well and good, but the Tritium chargers have been known to not always be in working order, so carrying a type 2 to type 2 cable is an inexpensive backup and will give a good charge rate. Most of the Queensland Electric Super Highway have an additional box with ac power that require a type 2 cable.

As others have said, with Model 3 you are pretty well covered:
  • Tesla Superchargers
  • NRMA DC Fast Chargers have a CCS2 plug on them
  • Take your UMC and tails with you, and you can plug in to any standard 10A or 15A socket.
The only thing I’d get would be one of these:

J1772 to 62196-2 Type 2 Converter 32A in SAE J1772 Connectors for Sale

That way you could plug into a tethered J-1772 charger that has no other plugs on it. But they are becoming increasingly rare (the equipment will either have more than one plug type on it, or is co-located with other chargers that have CCS2). The Plugshare App is your friend as to showing you what publicly accessible electricity is available, where, and the type of plug.
I bought one from here New Electric Vehicle Car EV Charger SAE J1772 Connector Socket Charging Plug | eBay

It works great!

View attachment 462502
Why hardwire the HPWC. Better to make it mobile via a 3phase socket and plug. Easier to change if it fails also.
If you can find a Gen1 UMC that will deliver 11kw to a M3 via RedEuro adaptor.
Good idea. You have convinced me. I texted the electrician doing the job tomorrow... all sorted. He will get a plug and socket.

Just wanted to say for those complaining about Tesla's poor communication, I agree it could be better. However whenever I have tried calling them, they have answered promptly and helped me with my concerns.

In other news, getting keen now. Less than 7 days until delivery!

I'm going to agree with that.
I know in my last post I talked about how the sales support was awful and no one picked up the phone but I called a Tesla store instead and got great service, great person on a phone and helped with my inquiry.

I dont know why Tesla just doesn't redirect their main number to the stores it just doesnt make sense to publicise a number that no one ever answers when there are other numbers where someone actually picks up.