Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I booked my car in for a few issues that have accumulated over time to be fixed, broken seat adjustment buttons, broken number plate holder, one of the rear doors needs a heavy slam to close properly(I suspect it was not aligned properly as there are uneven panel gaps around the door), smelly aircond, and noisy front suspension which has been there since day 1. Much to my surprise, the guy who booked the appointment has simply gone ahead and ordered parts for the suspension without even looking at or driving the car to identify the noise. Is this a common problem for model 3? I don’t remember reading about it here.

• Helpful
Reactions: Didaho
I've been using a 15A GPO for over a year and it's fine for my use, providing 6% per hour (3kW into a 50kWh battery). We have never come home very low and had a need to be near-full the next day.

Perhaps it's automated, with the wall connector in 'slave' mode matching power to variable PV output. Having an automated variable charge power can't easily be done from the car's end, if I understand correctly.
Plan A was 15a in the garage but I installed a 3 phase outlet before delivery anyway (at my meter at the other end of our driveway) - invaluable and probably used more than the 15a gpo.

So I booked my car in for a few issues that have accumulated over time to be fixed, broken seat adjustment buttons, broken number plate holder, one of the rear doors needs a heavy slam to close properly(I suspect it was not aligned properly as there are uneven panel gaps around the door), smelly aircond, and noisy front suspension which has been there since day 1. Much to my surprise, the guy who booked the appointment has simply gone ahead and ordered parts for the suspension without even looking at or driving the car to identify the noise. Is this a common problem for model 3? I don’t remember reading about it here.

yeah, they often know already what stuff goes wrong as Teslas are so simple and they often have multiple drivers having the same issue.

Much to my surprise, the guy who booked the appointment has simply gone ahead and ordered parts for the suspension without even looking at or driving the car to identify the noise. Is this a common problem for model 3? I don’t remember reading about it here.
If it's what they think it is, they'll want the parts on hand.

Remember, they have access to a lot more data on your car than you'd think.

If it's not what they think it is, someone else will visit that same service centre & will need those same parts soon enough. So aside from a bit of wasted space in the service centre for a little while, it's no big deal. Better to be able to fix your issue in the one visit.

Crikey, can that really be over $11k cheaper drive away than what I paid for my LR in late 2019?
Yes, but you don’t get the HPWC included anymore ($700). Floor mats were included in LR in 2019, not sure if that’s still the case (coupla hundred). And a less nice centre console now (according to some).

C’est la vie. Is driving a Model 3 for 16 months worth $11k? 😄

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Does anyone have any experience installing the Hansshow audio upgrade (type A) in an SR+? All the instructions and guidance I've seen were for LHD. I specified the RHD and they sent me guidance on how to reverse the audio if it comes out backwards, but I could really use some guidance on what panels to disassemble.

Looks like I might be putting my application/order on hold...

Tas state election this weekend - Liberals likely to win, this is one of their policies:

To assist Tasmanians to purchase an EV, a re-elected Majority Government will provide a stamp duty waiver for all new and second-hand EVs purchased in Tasmania for the next two years.

For a new mid-range EV, this will reduce initial purchase costs by around $2,000, providing a significant boost to encourage interested Tasmanians to make the switch to an EV and support this growing market in Tasmania.

I'm guessing it applies at time of vehicle registration. I'm not sure how soon after the election the policy will take to apply. It should just an instruction from the relevant minister to the government department - not a bill that parliament need to convene for, I'm guessing? Not sure, but I'm definitely not missing out on a $2.6k discount!

I'm guessing it applies at time of vehicle registration.
The way the stamp duty waiver works in other places like the ACT is that it reduces the amount the dealer/Tesla has to pay on your behalf when the purchase is finalised, reducing the 'on road costs'. It should eventually be reflected in Tesla's website pricing for Tas. I'm sure Tesla would refund the difference if the waiver applies when the purchase goes through, might want to wait until it's actually gazetted though (and double check with the Tesla delivery people!).

Looks like I might be putting my application/order on hold...

Tas state election this weekend - Liberals likely to win, this is one of their policies:

I'm guessing it applies at time of vehicle registration. I'm not sure how soon after the election the policy will take to apply. It should just an instruction from the relevant minister to the government department - not a bill that parliament need to convene for, I'm guessing? Not sure, but I'm definitely not missing out on a $2.6k discount!
A Liberal Government proposing EV subsidies (TAS), a Labor government proposing a road usage tax for EVs (VIC).

The world has clearly turned upside down!

To answer your question - I don’t know 🙂. It depends on whether in Tasmania the relevant stamp duty rate is governed by an Act of Parliament or is a Regulation.

If a Regulation, then the relevant Minister could amend it using his/her Executive powers at any time and have it published in the Gazette. If an Act of Parliament... you know the drill.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
There are a handful of SR+ showing as Inventory in Transit so you may be able to nab one if the Stamp Duty concession comes through and save the wait.
I've already got the SMS saying that there's a car assigned to my order! The question is, will they keep it assigned to me for long enough... it would be disappointing to have to pass it up and wait for the next ship but it's $2600 ...