Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the attention has turned to the Model 3, I am still here patiently awaiting the return of sub 50K CPO MS pricing. Maybe again in December? I really hope for something this summer. I have an in-line reservation in for the 3, but I don't know if I can do this for another two years...wife wants an Odyssey by this summer(ish) for our soon to be 6 member household, but if a CPO sub 50K Tesla with RFS and tech package comes in, we will go with that. The race is on! In all reality, it may be an Odyssey/Model 3 household in 2 years, and I'm okay with that. I do miss obsessing over this thread and ev-CPO, though...was so close to clicking BUY in Dec/Jan, too.

If Tesla was hiding the cheaper CPOs to boost Model III deposits, then yes, they should come back. If they were doing it to sell more "entry level" 70s with rear wheel drive, then no they won't. If they were losing their a$$ on reconditioning and repair costs, the they might come back but at less attractive price points. We will see what happens.

I am so happy I didn't wait, got my order in 2 weeks before the Great CPO Purge of 2016.

I pulled the trigger on one shortly after the purge and the longer this drags on, the more glad I am that I did. I could have bought a low-end new Model S, but I really wanted CPO so I could get the option set I wanted.

Hopefully, CPO cars will start coming back at some point. Otherwise, Frank will have to change his domain name to ev-inv.com. :p But really, I'd like to see some lower cost CPO's come back, at least until it's closer to Model 3 production time. I'd like to see people have the option of a used S until the Model 3 is online.

Same here. I ordered by CPO in December 2015, very well loaded and in great shape. I can't even find anything in the same price range anymore.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Same here. I ordered by CPO in December 2015, very well loaded and in great shape. I can't even find anything in the same price range anymore.

Same here. I reserved my CPO the Friday that the site launched, almost 12 months ago. I thought for sure you would be able to get the car I have in the very low 60s or high 50s at this point. I am super glad I pulled the trigger when I did, as my car can't be had at any price...at least from Tesla.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
In a twisted, ironic way, you might say Tesla is managing the price of pre-owned Tesla cars (and protecting current owners and the secondary market) the way OPEC manages the price of oil... :D
They have every right to do that, of course. That said, they have no control over the many Tesla vehicles that are sold through other channels. Many of the Teslas I see on dealer websites are overpriced, but I've already noticed some used car dealers dropping their prices on Teslas that haven't sold. If the price is right, having the Tesla CPO warranty need not be a requirement. Buying from a private party, perhaps from someone hoping to upgrade to a newer model, may also work quite well for some.

They have every right to do that, of course. That said, they have no control over the many Tesla vehicles that are sold through other channels. Many of the Teslas I see on dealer websites are overpriced, but I've already noticed some used car dealers dropping their prices on Teslas that haven't sold. If the price is right, having the Tesla CPO warranty need not be a requirement. Buying from a private party, perhaps from someone hoping to upgrade to a newer model, may also work quite well for some.

I agree -- and it supports owners by maintaining value (and scarcity if they're keeping cars out of the CPO program).

My question is what is happening to all the trade-in's that have to be coming in as X's are delivered? Are they sitting on them some where? This seems very strange.
I honestly doubt many people are trading in their S for and X. I'm sure there are, but I feel it is by far a minority. Either their X is their first Tesla or they have an S and are keeping it. Just my take though, could be wrong.

I honestly doubt many people are trading in their S for and X. I'm sure there are, but I feel it is by far a minority. Either their X is their first Tesla or they have an S and are keeping it. Just my take though, could be wrong.
One of my friends got an S in December and just ordered an X to replace it. But I agree with you, more people are likely getting a net-new Tesla vs. replacing an existing Tesla.

But that has been the prevailing hypothesis for the last year...."Just with until the X launch.....Model S' will be rolling in as trades....."

My question is where are all these cars? Private Party sales? It seems like even the For Sale board in this forum is slowing down a little.

It just seems a little strange because it goes against conventional wisdom and Tesla has nothing to gain by stockpiling a depreciating asset.

Who would have though over a year into the CPO program and there would be little to no CPO's?

Latest info I have from someone at Tesla is CPO numbers will be jumping back up in a couple of weeks. He wouldn't tell me any more, just that he knew many many options would be available then....
That makes sense. Most of the previous CPOs were used to fill out the loaner fleet. Once that is done it figures that Tesla would start listing trade-ins that meet requirements (less than 60k miles and no accident history, for example) as CPOs once again.

Hope it happens!

Here's what a CPO advisor wrote to me yesterday.

'Our pre owned vehicle inventory will see an influx in vehicles in the next coming weeks. I'd say end of April or early May, we'll have more vehicles available for sale.'

If you're thinking of buying from a Craigslist ad, maybe wait. If you're thinking of selling, might wanna' hurry or take that offer that seemed low last week. In a month it might seem like a great offer. This will be very very interesting.

Here's what a CPO advisor wrote to me yesterday.

'Our pre owned vehicle inventory will see an influx in vehicles in the next coming weeks. I'd say end of April or early May, we'll have more vehicles available for sale.'

If you're thinking of buying from a Craigslist ad, maybe wait. If you're thinking of selling, might wanna' hurry or take that offer that seemed low last week. In a month it might seem like a great offer. This will be very very interesting.

Oh good... <rubs hands together and smiles>

Reactions: dgpcolorado and Jo-