Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, this P85+ was reserved on June 29th. It's a little harder as I switched from my original P85 CPO reservation placed on June 8th. I've been patiently waiting on a CPO for over 2 months now.
Is your car the one that had paint damage on the rear below the window ?

My CPO was very close to 30 days from time of pushing buy button to driving it off the lot in SLC. I must admit I called them every few days for a status update. Squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know. :)

Just some advice, just like any car do your due diligence. We picked up a 2013 CPO P85 last weekend, were promised it would be perfect, and agreed to pay a high shipping price. It has numerous issues like the panoramic roof seals broken, glass on the car is completely stained (looks like salt damage or acid damage), alignment was way off, and steering making creaking noises. On top of that the car was just dirty. Just because it's called CPO doesn't mean it's the same thorough process that you see from Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. We have serious regrets. 5 days after we picked it up its at the service center for over a week of repairs.

Just some advice, just like any car do your due diligence. We picked up a 2013 CPO P85 last weekend, were promised it would be perfect, and agreed to pay a high shipping price. It has numerous issues like the panoramic roof seals broken, glass on the car is completely stained (looks like salt damage or acid damage), alignment was way off, and steering making creaking noises. On top of that the car was just dirty. Just because it's called CPO doesn't mean it's the same thorough process that you see from Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. We have serious regrets. 5 days after we picked it up its at the service center for over a week of repairs.

That sucks to hear. It has become fairly obvious that the CPO process can vary greatly from person to person. Anecdotally, it sounds like owners in California be experiencing an overall worse experience across the board, due to the service centers being overworked.

This doesn't seem to be echoed in a lot of the other stories on here. Something seems off. Can you just not take delivery of the car if it isn't to your standards?

Is your car the one that had paint damage on the rear below the window ?

My CPO was very close to 30 days from time of pushing buy button to driving it off the lot in SLC. I must admit I called them every few days for a status update. Squeaky wheel gets the grease ya know. :)

Yea, initially my car was "ready" a few weeks back but then got the scratches surprise which had to be repaired. They say that it's being worked over with a fine tooth comb at a paint shop and detailer so we'll see what it looks like in the end. No word on when I actually get it. I requested a loaner for a day so I can bring a car with 21" grey rims to my powder coat people to try and match the color of the OEM Tesla rims to my 19" slipstreams that I bought, they said shouldn't be a problem, they would look into setting it up and would get back to me by yesterday.
I never heard anything back.

I'm not in a rush to get it, but I leave next week for a pretty long trip so at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be driving the car until the 2nd week of September probably. Ah well.

I can't understand this.....did you take delivery like this? I was under the understanding that one would inspect the car and Tesla creates a "Due List" upon which repairs/requests are addressed and fixed befor final delivery? How could they release a car in this condition?

Ski

So i noticed all you guys are saying you are waiting on "delivery" of your CPO. i'm currently looking into getting a cpo p85. are you guys just paying the delivery charge?
i was expecting to drive down to the tesla "dealership" and just pick one up. or is that not how it works?

So i noticed all you guys are saying you are waiting on "delivery" of your CPO. i'm currently looking into getting a cpo p85. are you guys just paying the delivery charge?
i was expecting to drive down to the tesla "dealership" and just pick one up. or is that not how it works?

Typically you'll end up doing a nationwide search to find what you want. If it ends up the car is close by then you can certainly pick it up without the delivery charge. Connect with your Tesla Pre-Owned Sales Advisor to search inventory that's not on the website and discuss delivery options. Best of luck!

Just for another data point. I ordered my CPO on July 28th and it's currently in transit to Chicago area where they plan on doing the detailing / body prep. It finished the service inspection in Dallas. Hopefully it will be ready by the end of next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's definitely the CPO flood but pricing doesn't seem to be at the December 2015 lows we saw where P85+ with low miles were in the $58 - $60K range and P85 were sub $55K. Hopefully price adjustments to follow....

This seems to be true generally, though I did see inventory cars with up to $36k off (albeit a pre-refresh with 14k miles).

But even better yet, look at the lease rates on the inventory performance cars. As of a few days ago, I noticed a few (like, 7) that had good cash discounts but far better lease rates that were not at all in line with the purchase price. The ones I saw were all P90Ds (though it was just some of them, not all had the extra-low lease rate). They are probably gone now but they may have stuffed more in.

I was looking for a completely stripped 90D (not that I could find one, though one came close), but ended up leasing a loaded P90D because it was cheaper. A lot cheaper...these loaded P90Ds were cheaper to lease than a new stripped 75D. They were more than a stripped 60D...but still below a loaded 60D.

It was just too good of a deal to pass up. I have a loaded P90DL on the way. Sure, it doesn't have the new nose, and it has a few miles on it...but the lease rate really warms my tiny, frugal heart.

Last edited:
I was pretty dumbfounded at how good the lease rates were on a few of the P90D's that I grabbed a screenshot a few weeks back. This fully loaded P90D was leasing for about the same as a mostly stripped 60D. I think I understand the reason. With a lease you are basically paying for the depreciation of the car you are leasing over a given period assuming the car's mileage etc. To lease a new P90D you would pay for (just an example so,-lease don't go getting all "spreadsheet" on me) the depreciation from new ($130K) to what it'll be worth at the end of 3 years with 30K Miles on it (assuming $70k). So, your lease payment is the depreciation value of $50K/36 payments or about $1800/month. Since Tesla has already reduced the purchase value down to $103K the residual value is still about the same $70K so you are only on the hook for the difference of $103K to $70K or $33K/36 months = $916. Again, I am using general numbers here to,illustrate my point only. For those considering a lease I think these make for an amazing deal I saw a Pearl White P85D with Ludicrous that was just a few $$/month more that vanished before I could even get a screen shot.
image.png

This is my first lease, so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the good explanation for why the lease rate can be lower on a car that costs more...higher expected residual at the end combined with a current price discount now (even though the total is higher). Residual must be based on MSRP rather than current sale price (which is what I had assumed without thinking it through).

My OA insisted the money factor was the same, and there were no program adjustments to the residual rate. Just the program adjustments to the price. Yet the lease rate had a larger discount than the price did, which confused me.

If all cars were sold at MSRP and residuals were all a percentage of that, MSRP would be a good predictor of lease rate. But when sale price and residual calculations are based on different numbers, you get the pleasant effect that wshowell described.

Last edited:
I was pretty surprised and initially confused by the lease rates, until I realized the depreciation and residual value aspects of it. Very tempting, but I hate the idea of only paying for the depreciation, and having nothing to show for it after 3 years.

What led you into a lease?

image.png
I was pretty dumbfounded at how good the lease rates were on a few of the P90D's that I grabbed a screenshot a few weeks back. This fully loaded P90D was leasing for about the same as a mostly stripped 60D. I think I understand the reason. With a lease you are basically paying for the depreciation of the car you are leasing over a given period assuming the car's mileage etc. To lease a new P90D you would pay for (just an example so,-lease don't go getting all "spreadsheet" on me) the depreciation from new ($130K) to what it'll be worth at the end of 3 years with 30K Miles on it (assuming $70k). So, your lease payment is the depreciation value of $50K/36 payments or about $1800/month. Since Tesla has already reduced the purchase value down to $103K the residual value is still about the same $70K so you are only on the hook for the difference of $103K to $70K or $33K/36 months = $916. Again, I am using general numbers here to,illustrate my point only. For those considering a lease I think these make for an amazing deal I saw a Pearl White P85D with Ludicrous that was just a few $$/month more that vanished before I could even get a screen shot. View attachment 189989
Just in case someone wanted to do the calculation on just how much TSLA was discounted this car, I've attached the itemized list of options.

View attachment 189996
Just in case someone wanted to do the calculation on just how much TSLA was discounted this car, I've attached the itemized list of options.

That was a pretty decent deal! There's a similar P90D with 4k more miles going for $20 more per month.

Curious as to why the first screenshot mentions the referral credit being applied. How did that show up there?

That was a pretty decent deal! There's a similar P90D with 4k more miles going for $20 more per month.

Curious as to why the first screenshot mentions the referral credit being applied. How did that show up there?
Probably because my buddy sent me over his referral link and it's been cached into my browser. Note that the CA $2500 no longer calculates automatically since those funds are currently "wait listed". That'd lower either the money down or the monthly payment if the funds become available again in CA.

I can't understand this.....did you take delivery like this? I was under the understanding that one would inspect the car and Tesla creates a "Due List" upon which repairs/requests are addressed and fixed befor final delivery? How could they release a car in this condition?

Ski
Update: yes we took delivery because we hadn't had time to inspect the car on a separate day beforehand (too busy, unfortunately). Also the delivery team promised that the service center would fix everything to our satisfaction and not to worry about it, it had gone through extensive testing with multiple drivers. Our mistake for not immediately rejecting the car and getting caught up in delivery day excitement. Aside from the glass being bad all over he car, wind noise, alignment off, And then finding out that the suspension in front was then awful noisy after driving it a bit, we had enough. Sent emails and met the assistant manager of the delivery team in fremont. They were very understanding and somewhat taken aback that the car had so many issues. I got a phone call a few days later that tesla would take the car back and find us another vehicle. I give them credit, despite a lemon of a car, they bent over backwards to make it right, and I applaud them for that. Service center gave us a loaner in the meantime since we already sold our other car.

Again, CPO means different things at different companies. Tesla CPO i think still has a ways to go. Our fault for assuming that CPO meant perfect reconditioned vehicle. But they have restored my faith by taking the car back and hopefully the next car will be fine after I go over it with a very fine tooth comb.

FYI here is the list of problems that had to be addressed at the service center:

- replace both b pillars
- replace both b pillar appliqués
- replace both right lower control arms and bolts
- replace left lower aft arm
- perform bulletin SB-15-31-004 bolts front suspension, then road test
- alignment and center steering wheel
- replace all moving door glass 4 doors
- perform bulletin SB-15-11-002
- replace roof fixed glass
- replace both quarter glass
- perform pano roof wind noise SB 13-24-006
- replace front windshield
- replace lift gate glass

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and Fiver
They were very understanding and somewhat taken aback that the car had so many issues. I got a phone call a few days later that tesla would take the car back and find us another vehicle.

I'm glad it worked out for you @D.dub

My car has been into service maybe 5 or 6 more times since the major problems early on (so maybe 14-15 times total in the past 15 months). I did at one point mention that if they wanted to take it back, I would just take a new one on the spot. They didn't go for that, though it was not a day or two after like in your case. I know they have spent a ton of money on my car in warranty repairs and I've again been emailing them things to build a list of repairs for the next time I drop off the car. It's good they are doing a better job when realizing they have some bad cars make it into the CPO program.

I have to admit that the out of pocket repair and Tesla refusing to disclose the service history of my car really still leave a bad taste in my mouth. I still hold out hope someday they will change their stance on one of both of these. I've otherwise had good experience, even though my car has been in service extensively.