Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that, but my original post was about passing on the highway, which assumes constant cruising speed (and trucks have a lower legal speed limit). Once you start passing you probably don't expect that the semi can speed up like a sports car, same as you.

I get that, but my original post was about passing on the highway, which assumes constant cruising speed (and trucks have a lower legal speed limit). Once you start passing you probably don't expect that the semi can speed up like a sports car, same as you.

When he made that statement about the sports car he was talking about the low center of gravity and cornering ability more so than acceleration.

Of course his comment might have been about the "bobtail" config. When the tractor has no trailer. Once you add the trailer everything gets worse.

A tractor trailer with load isn't going to accelerate fast no matter what. But if the center of gravity is low enough they'll be able to take curves and ramps at normal speeds instead of dropping to half speed.

At least the air in semi truck drag races will be a bit cleaner... ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Talk of semis and autonomous driving with Tesla -- I would like to again share my own thoughts on what might work well in those areas. There is a big potential advantage with electric Semis to reduce costs from maintenance and fuel (without even touching on environmental issues). Autonomous driving also would be useful in a semi, but raises concerns over lost trucking jobs. However, I have previously suggested that it might be best to focus autonomous driving specifically on highway travel, and not so much on local driving. This would allow autonomous driving to become a reality much faster (local driving is complex, highway driving is much more simple). If this approach was used and applied to semi trucks as well, truckers would still be needed for local area driving, but could possibly take advantage of autonomous driving for the long highway stretches, and they wouldn't have to stop to sleep.

Follow this path, and trucking gets cheaper and faster and cleaner and more sustainable, but truckers can keep their jobs and take care of end point driving and special circumstances (rare cases where autopilot can't handle the situation, or a service issue occurs like a flat tire). Seems like a bag full of win to me.

Reactions: neroden
Couple of random thoughts:
1) Range. This is likely determined more by driver regulation than fuel capacity. From Summary of Hours of Service Regulations this is, say 11 hours max. 11 hours at 70mph is "only" 770 miles. Of course, this would be offset by amount of time "refueling" - this could be part of sleeper berth time in EV, so min of 45 minutes charging imo and be equivalent.
2) 4x6 vs EV: could be interesting given addition weight distribution of truck and driven front wheels.

The semi will be an enormous product for Tesla. Companies will see the economics of an EV truck and never look back. People buy the Model S on emotion, they will buy the semi with their brains.

I'm guessing that the truck will have about a 2MWh pack that will be good for about 700-800 miles of driving at 60mph.

It will be superb on mountain interstate highways where it can use regen braking to recapture energy on the way down and keep the speed under control without compression braking.

Earnings call, Elon just said Semi has loads of Model 3 motors, cheap and easy to build, he didn't mention a number but my mind jumped to 6 motors right away.

If I hadn't heard it from Elon's mouth I wouldn't have guessed it and would have said anyone else would be wrong for suggesting it.

Of course maybe he means 3 when he says "loads" heck if I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Earnings call, Elon just said Semi has loads of Model 3 motors, cheap and easy to build, he didn't mention a number but my mind jumped to 6 motors right away.

If I hadn't heard it from Elon's mouth I wouldn't have guessed it and would have said anyone else would be wrong for suggesting it.

Of course maybe he means 3 when he says "loads" heck if I know.

I would guess two per axle for four total on the base truck. Powering the front axle would perhaps be an option.

I would guess two per axle for four total on the base truck. Powering the front axle would perhaps be an option.

Covered in post 216 Tesla Semi

I just didn't imagine it would be the Model 3 motors. I was thinking Model S/X motors which I would assume are larger/higher HP than the Model 3 motors.

edit: MP3Mike has seen fit to disagree as soon as I posted this with no reply.

Elon specifically said model 3 motors, with verbal cues that those are different than the Model S/X motors. So unless you reply I don't know who or what you are disagreeing with.

May I suggest you go to Tesla Motors, Inc. First Quarter 2017 Financial Results Q&A Conference Call | Tesla Motors and listen to the call yourself then reread this thread or at least posts 216 to here.

Last edited:
THere
Sooo.... I'm going to take a wild guess here and bet that we'll see an "extended cab". For the following reasons:
(1) room for aerodynamics (less of a flat striking surface of air in the front, means longer nose)
(2) the longer the tractor the more room for more battery

There's a max length limit for truck+trailer. With a 53' trailer and a sleeper cab, you're at it already.

Covered in post 216 Tesla Semi

I just didn't imagine it would be the Model 3 motors. I was thinking Model S/X motors which I would assume are larger/higher HP than the Model 3 motors.

Torque may not be the primary driver. Motor running temps and regenerative braking likely affect the design more.

The cars are so overpowered that Tesla can simply reduce motor performance as temps get too high. They can't do that on a OTR truck. I have a camper on a medium duty truck with a Detroit Diesel engine. Going up a mountain pass the accelerator is to the floor for 5-10 minutes. This type of situation is typical for truck diesels. But Tesla motors and batteries packs are designed for high power but not high energy. Perhaps all it takes is a bigger cooling system for trucks.

Reactions: dhanson865
Talk of semis and autonomous driving with Tesla --

Autonomous driving also would be useful in a semi, but raises concerns over lost trucking jobs.

All my life I keep hearing about lost jobs for the poor people who can only learn how to drive a truck. Driving a truck isn't all that easy, and anyone who has learned to drive (a car, even) should be able to learn how to do something else. If we get autonomous driving, and switch to solar (Oh, no, all those billions of coal mining jobs), what in the world are we going to do to continue supporting these people who refuse to get any more education?? There are lots of other jobs, and there will be lots of other jobs. Personally, I learned to drive a semi, install my own solar, teach a class, work in a lab, milk cows, work sheet metal for air conditioning, repair motorcycle and car engines, build houses and their plumbing and electrical systems, write a book, etc. etc., all after I had made it through high school.

I bet a bunch of you folk did a lot of stuff after you graduated, too.

Yup. It required going through more school, often while working a day job.

I have a relative who lost his specialty job. His wife wants him to take nursing classes. He wants to sit around and do nothing and mope because he lost his job. Life is hard.