Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
455 hp? Isn't that less than what a P100DL can do?

Yes, several Model S and Model X models can out HP and out torque a low end Class 8 semi. Even with a 90 kWh battery pack.

Toss a few more model 3 motors and more KW/kWh* at the problem and the Tesla Semi will out torque and out HP even the top end models.

* No I'm not mixing power and energy. I'm discussing a battery pack that has both a rated power output and a rated capacity. Just the nature of the beast that on a S/X the battery pack can't put out the KW needed to fully engage the motors. Add more motors and you need more pack to power them.

When you ignore the fact that tesla will only be able to compete in the luxury RV market from the off, you're absolutely right.

Tesla will get to RVs. It doesn't make sense to do it now.

I keep thinking about how much time many RVs spend sitting. With the right equipment I'm wondering if an ERV could be used as big Powerwall doing all the things a Powerwall does for a residence, backup, time shifting, solar storage... Why have that big battery sitting there all that time not doing much?

I keep thinking about how much time many RVs spend sitting. With the right equipment I'm wondering if an ERV could be used as big Powerwall doing all the things a Powerwall does for a residence, backup, time shifting, solar storage... Why have that big battery sitting there all that time not doing much?

No reason a vehicle that size with that purpose couldn't have a powerall installed in it separate from the traction battery pack.

If Tesla decides to integrate it they could have the two pack types installed and have intelligent switching to pull from the powerwall for cycling (anytime load is above some amount, or from a certain circuit, and/or speed is 0) and the traction battery (whose cells aren't optimized for cycling) for powering the drive train.

You sure don't want to be deep discharging / daily cycling a vehicles main battery pack. It'd cause severe degradation before the vehicle's designed end of life.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Note that Super B's and larger motorhomes are actually on a truck/bus chassis.
You can make medium duty trucks of all flavors, buses of all flavors, and motorhomes all off the same roller by just altering wheel base and # of axles. This is how it's done today already. Motorhomes are sort of a joke application. Toys that sit and rot that have huge markups and tragic resale value even with low miles and years.
But a Class 8, which is far less common, has a more narrow range of applications.

More HP, yes. More torque, definitely not. ISX15 for Heavy-Duty Truck (2013)

IIRC, that it's the same engine, just turned up higher, some ratings have different turbochargers, others do not.

The new X12 engine is more fuel efficient and up to 600lb lighter than some of it's competitors. That's more income per mile, which is what it's all about. More cargo, less fuel.

Torque is a two edged sword. Big torque limits your transmission and axle choices, and raises the empty weight because of that, and reduces overhaul hours. When torque gets really huge, they rely on hybrid powertrains like you see in locomotives and earth movers. However large displacement diesels have the best BSFC (economy) because of their high torque. High torque is simply high horsepower at lower RPMs. Low RPMs allow less frictional losses, more complete burns, and higher chamber pressures.

You can make an EV Class 8 with more HP and TQ than a conventional drive. Can you make it generate more $ per mile is the question.

Hence why I'd aim at the medium duty / bus / RV market. With those apps, it's not alway $ per mile. Sometimes governments want the EV for political reasons, buses clean the inter-city air quality, and RV's are often judged by how trick they are as opposed to economy.

• Informative
Reactions: generalenthu
I have a reason to believe that the Semi event will bring about a lot more excitement around Tesla. Here it is:

I tried all sorts of models and somehow quick battery exchange model doesn't work for me. So, I am now thinking a quick recharge model is the only model that makes sense. But to make it happen, a few things have to happen.

- battery density unlike we have seen before. Musk has previously mentioned that adding more energy dense cells is possible but costs go up. For a truck whose primary task is to bring down cost per ton mile, this upfront cost pays off handsomely
- recharging at 350+KW - remember the Musk tweet?

If a truck takes 15-20 mins to charge about 80% of the pack while going about 300-400 miles, that's a huge win.

Both the bullets are ambitious but looking at what Musk tweeted recently about the truck specs higher than what has been reported so far, I think this event can change the way people perceive EVs. Quick charging may be around the corner.

Cummins acquires Brammo. Seems Cummins is talking the talk and walking the walk. More so that most traditional auto manufactures for sure.

Tom Linebarger, Chairman and CEO of Cummins, announced the acquisition today:

“To be a leading provider of electrified power systems just as we are with diesel and natural gas driven powertrains, we must own key elements and subsystems of the electrification network. By adding the expertise of Brammo and its employees to Cummins, we are taking a step forward in our electrification business and differentiating ourselves from our competition. As always, when markets are ready, Cummins will bring our customers the right power solution at the right time to power their success.”

Cummins acquires Brammo. Seems Cummins is talking the talk and walking the walk. More so that most traditional auto manufactures for sure.

Tom Linebarger, Chairman and CEO of Cummins, announced the acquisition today:

“To be a leading provider of electrified power systems just as we are with diesel and natural gas driven powertrains, we must own key elements and subsystems of the electrification network. By adding the expertise of Brammo and its employees to Cummins, we are taking a step forward in our electrification business and differentiating ourselves from our competition. As always, when markets are ready, Cummins will bring our customers the right power solution at the right time to power their success.”

It's about darn time they did something like this. Though it's a company with 50 employees...

Reactions: skitown
What's the earliest we can expect the first production Semi? I don't think we need to wait for Project Tesla In Michigan Gigafactory to come online. Elon had previously said the Semi will be using a lot of the similar parts as Model 3 so time to market should be fairly quick. So end-2018 for first Semi, followed by scale production six months after?

What's the earliest we can expect the first production Semi? I don't think we need to wait for Project Tesla In Michigan Gigafactory to come online. Elon had previously said the Semi will be using a lot of the similar parts as Model 3 so time to market should be fairly quick. So end-2018 for first Semi, followed by scale production six months after?
Typical truck program is 4 yrs. 2019 is ambitious.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpaceCash
That sounds about right. I do wonder how many trucks Tesla will build for its own use. I think they could build out quite a few before they even say they are in production.

• Informative
I think they've been working on it for more than two years now. For quite awhile development was happening in secret. Maybe the historians among us can clarify.

Good point. So they've been working on it for about 1yr, and the reveal next month could be equivalent to the March 2016 Model 3 reveal. Add about 18 months to November 2017... May 2019 could be the earliest production starts.

IIRC, that it's the same engine, just turned up higher, some ratings have different turbochargers, others do not.

The new X12 engine is more fuel efficient and up to 600lb lighter than some of it's competitors. That's more income per mile, which is what it's all about. More cargo, less fuel.

Torque is a two edged sword. Big torque limits your transmission and axle choices, and raises the empty weight because of that, and reduces overhaul hours. When torque gets really huge, they rely on hybrid powertrains like you see in locomotives and earth movers. However large displacement diesels have the best BSFC (economy) because of their high torque. High torque is simply high horsepower at lower RPMs. Low RPMs allow less frictional losses, more complete burns, and higher chamber pressures.

You can make an EV Class 8 with more HP and TQ than a conventional drive. Can you make it generate more $ per mile is the question.

Hence why I'd aim at the medium duty / bus / RV market. With those apps, it's not alway $ per mile. Sometimes governments want the EV for political reasons, buses clean the inter-city air quality, and RV's are often judged by how trick they are as opposed to economy.

Why not power to multiple axles and keep a single gear transmission? Or at least you can gear the axles differently and use computer control on what is being powered

There is also the option to buy the chassis from a current manufacturer and replace the standard axles with the Model 3 derived ones. Or, Tesla can make a motor unit that connects to the rear axle normally, then none of the suspension is new development.
Likewise, the cab would eventually be redesigned, but it is not necessary for the first vehicles. Looking identical might be an advantage to early adoption (fits in with other rigs, Model S/X have been known to attract ill will).

Replace these things on a current semi, and your good to go:
Low voltage electrical system source (DC/DC converter plus battery )
Engine (Model 3 plus new gear ratio)
Air pump
Steering actuator
A/C compressor drive (heater likely is already electrical assist) (similar to current production)
Add:
Battery (multiple of current production)

I see this taking less than a year to implement. The cab is not that big of an issue either, companies produce such things for current trucks and farm equipment.

• Informative