Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon tweet - dish on large vehicles

Will they launch the Semi configurator with a Starlink option? Truckers are gonna love it.
Cell phone network is fine. I see no reason to add a second network when you are already using cell phone network.
Who would pay for both? Who would give-up their cell phone network?

Buses, Rail Cars, Ships, Airlines make sense. Individual vehicles ?? can't see any benefit.

Last edited:
Cell phone network is fine. I see no reason to add a second network when you are already using cell phone network.
Who would pay for both? Who would give-up their cell phone network?

Buses, Rail Cars, Ships, Airlines make sense. Individual vehicles ?? can't see any benefit.
Cell phone network is not fine.

Range/coverage is spotty in most of the country outside of city centers, just because I have a phone connection doesn’t mean I have a strong data connection and even if I have an LTE connection it doesn’t mean it’s moving at streaming speeds, even in the middle of Houston my data can move slow as molasses.

Unlimited data that’s truly unlimited doesn’t really exist, my carrier limits me to 100gb on cell data before throttling and dedicated wireless internet is again capped at 100gb. So my cell phone would eventually be used up in the truck assuming I’m in a place that would reliably get cell service.

As a result most people have satellite service on their trucks for internet and TV, dish network is like $400 for the hardware and 50-$100 a month depending on what package you have. Do you really think truckers are watching their football games on the tv that’s streaming from a cell phone? No there’s a little Dosh or wine guard radome behind the cab. So having the option to put starlink into a truck when trucks literally already have satellite service is nothing new, in fact it’d be better, could bump down from the $50 cell plan to $35, take off tethering, then run the cellphone on WiFi while in the truck and hook up the TV to WiFi for Hulu, Netflix, sling, etc.

Range/coverage is spotty in most of the country outside of city centers, just because I have a phone connection doesn’t mean I have a strong data connection and even if I have an LTE connection it doesn’t mean it’s moving at streaming speeds, even in the middle of Houston my data can move slow as molasses.

Unlimited data that’s truly unlimited doesn’t really exist, my carrier limits me to 100gb on cell data before throttling and dedicated wireless internet is again capped at 100gb. So my cell phone would eventually be used up in the truck assuming I’m in a place that would reliably get cell service.

As a result most people have satellite service on their trucks for internet and TV, dish network is like $400 for the hardware and 50-$100 a month depending on what package you have. Do you really think truckers are watching their football games on the tv that’s streaming from a cell phone? No there’s a little Dosh or wine guard radome behind the cab. So having the option to put starlink into a truck when trucks literally already have satellite service is nothing new, in fact it’d be better, could bump down from the $50 cell plan to $35, take off tethering, then run the cellphone on WiFi while in the truck and hook up the TV to WiFi for Hulu, Netflix, sling, etc.

This argument (which I find persuasive) reminds me of the promise of Google Fiber. The monthly cost was expensive-y, but if the consumer could aggregate services they saved money and gained a much better product.

More from Lex Fridman: this time an interview with Waymo's head of trucking Boris Sofman. Worth listening to for a competitive perspective. The trucking content starts at about 1:04, in case the link doesn't go there automatically.

As usual Lex asks good questions. It sounds like Waymo trucking is partnering with Daimler (old news? new to me) and wants to reduce the total cost of logistics with automated hubs, driver assistance, and autonomy. Similar yet different, I expect Tesla to offer bundles that include semis, solar, storage, and charging... plus the option of adding FSD. Either approach is all about reducing costs and improving efficiencies, but from different directions.

Sofman makes the cases you'd expect for Waymo's use of lidar and simulation. However Sofman seems to agree with Karpathy about software 3.0: using ML wherever possible. He also agrees that L4/L5 will have to be demonstrably much better than humans, and adds that the causes of accidents will need to be explicable.

Overhead Expenses = billing, collecting, tracking service/usage, keeping account data .... This is where "scalability" can come into play. You can imagine how a simple monthly/yearly fee could be consolidated from multiple products -- and the actual costs could be lower.

@mblakele - I guess all who create bundles realize this - this is how my simple mind sees it.

We shall see how MBA upper management can mess this up.

Yeah with both the Semi and CT needing the 4680 and that going slowly it's not going to be 2022 but maybe 2024.
Daycab Semi should be LFP, not 4680, IMHO. Less expensive, higher cycle life, much safer and fits the weight and volume envelope. The 500 mile Semi doesn't make much sense to me. It's not capable of true long haul, weighs more and costs a lot more than diesel. It also needs a nationwide charging infrastructure that doesn't exist and isn't worth building yet. Short- and medium-haul are the low hanging fruit. Depot-charging solves the infrastructure problem. And they run mostly in populated areas where reduced soot and other noxious emissions are most appreciated.

Cybertruck could use any size cell, but they might as well wait on 4680 while working out the other issues.

Daycab Semi should be LFP, not 4680, IMHO. Less expensive, higher cycle life, much safer and fits the weight and volume envelope. The 500 mile Semi doesn't make much sense to me. It's not capable of true long haul, weighs more and costs a lot more than diesel. It also needs a nationwide charging infrastructure that doesn't exist and isn't worth building yet. Short- and medium-haul are the low hanging fruit. Depot-charging solves the infrastructure problem. And they run mostly in populated areas where reduced soot and other noxious emissions are most appreciated.
I’ve always thought this, yet Tesla seems to keep pushing the idea of long haul trucking. But a bunch of customers have already signed on, any idea what kind of workload they will have?

Reactions: petit_bateau
I’ve always thought this, yet Tesla seems to keep pushing the idea of long haul trucking. But a bunch of customers have already signed on, any idea what kind of workload they will have?
Signing on was mostly a PR exercise. Pepsi seems eager to move ahead, though. I think they're focused on warehouse to store. Perfect application for a 250-300 mile truck. Lots of good PR, too, visibility around grocery stores and such is sky-high.

Recently watched the launch again with my kid. At end Elon states order now and get it in 2019. Classic Elon. I’m sure once arrives will be classic Elon as well though.

Remember, production was supposed to start in 2019 (so, can't blame covid for the delay) with....
-0 to 60 in 5 seconds
-0 to 60 in 20 seconds at 80,000 max gross weight
-500 mile range at highway speeds
-400 miles of range (charging) in 30 minutes
-a pickup version of the Tesla Semi (a pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck) that you can legally drive without a CDL
-won't break down for a million miles
-won't ever need to replace brake pads
-guaranteed 7 cents per kilowatt wholesale price on the megacharger network because those are entirely solar powered
-thermonuclear explosive proof glass
-automatically call emergency services in the event the driver has a medical emergency and is unresponsive
-better economics than rail

Cybertruck could use any size cell, but they might as well wait on 4680 while working out the other issues.
Wouldn't a 500 mile semi work well for an out and back loop route with charging at the main site? 8 hours of driving at 60 MPH.
With only a quick mini-charge, it can do Fremont to Sparks and back. Versus a 300 mile needing nearly a full charge.
Weight only matters if they don't cube out first, and I'm not sure what you are using for cost comparison.

Wouldn't a 500 mile semi work well for an out and back loop route with charging at the main site? 8 hours of driving at 60 MPH.
With only a quick mini-charge, it can do Fremont to Sparks and back. Versus a 300 mile needing nearly a full charge.
Weight only matters if they don't cube out first, and I'm not sure what you are using for cost comparison.
Only trucks such as furniture vans cube out regularly. Weight is generally the limiting factor because it's far more efficient and profitable to haul as much weight as possible. This obviously is for longer distance and doesn't include local delivery where speed and how many stops can be made in a day are more important.

Sure, you can find a few cases where 500 works and 300 doesn't. But there are so many more cases where 300 works great. And you can build almost twice as many 300s with the same amount of cells. And you can use LFP for 300, which doesn't pressure our constrained NCx battery supply. It just makes more sense to focus on the low hanging fruit. And Tesla usually does what makes sense in the end.