Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that you don't live in the Netherlands (nor Belgium, the land of the really creative human- but not machine readable lane markings).

Yes.

Areas of concern:
-Two way traffic roads with two bike suggestion lanes, where you need to cross into the bike suggestion lane to cross other vehicles. High grass or a tree close to the roadside is sometimes enough to make ELDA freak out and jerk you into the incoming traffic. I see that someone already posted a similar incident above.

-road works with permanent but stale (white) lane markings and temporary and valid road markings (yellow) that weave in between the stale lane markings. Even Autosteer tends to follow the yellow markings, but sometimes ELDA balks at crossing the stale solid white lines and jerks you into following the now stale lane markings (regardless of what's driving there), sometimes even towards a concrete block (which surely is a less virtual obstacle than a solid line painted on the ground).

-Bus stops painted protruding into the right hand lane. You're supposed to cross these when there is no bus, but there are hatched areas to prevent people parking in front or behind the bus stop that ELDA sees as no-go areas (I guess it sees the bus stop as an "obstacle" that it should avoid, but bus stops fortuitously do not cross the road). At one point at one of these bus stops it jerked me to the left and disengaged AutoSteer, leaving the car pointed straight at a lamp post in the median strip.

To be honest: I usually don't wait to see if it will avoid the real obstacle it lobs me towards in order to avoid the virtual obstacle just for the sake of scientific curiosity. Perhaps it would jerk me back to safety avoiding the "other" (very real) emergency, but it should have had the foresight not to create that hazard in the first place.

In some cases the blame lies squarely on whoever was responsible for applying the road markings, but unfortunately we have little control over it. Just to give a couple of examples of really weird markings:

The "London bus from Harry Potter" markings...please tell me how not to cross the solid lines (obstacles placed very close to the roadside for extra fun!):
28965277378_cbee23bde0_c.jpg

The "bike lanes from hell" markings ("I own the road" cyclist optional):
2968700.jpg

Usually I know better than to use AutoSteer in these surroundings -- I have a hunch it might get confused. But the ELDA stays active nonetheless.

There are Google map links to some examples of things we've encountered that give it some trouble in the dedicated thread. If you're really curious, give it a read (no, we're not all Russian troll farmers, some of us are Real People (tm) ).

ELDA on highways (and similar roads) is quite useful, but we'd really need a way to enable or disable it using a voice command, and over here we definitely tend to not want to have to disable it every time we start a drive.
Thanks for the info. I really was simply asking because I didn’t know. Beautiful country you’ve got there!

You guys aren't listening.

Why haven't they rolled out .16.2 to everyone? Masses of people have it but not everyone. Its been tested.

Look...this software version has really been out there for months now. Its not new.

Except, it is new, and it has not been "out there for months"

The first report of 16.2 being rolled out to anyone was 8 days ago.

A new 2019.16.2 version update showed up on TeslaFi at midnight EST. Mostly Model 3's, with some occasional S and X's! : teslamotors

Don't think for a moment that just because 16.2 has started rolling out - that its new. They have beta testers that have been testing this for months now.

No, they have not been testing it for "months"

Simple math though tells you 16.2 hasn't been "out there for months" since the 16 means it's the base version from week 16 of the year.

This is currently week 22 of the year. Meaning it'd be 6 weeks old at max

Version 16 appears to have begun public release around May 10 (week 19)- so a whole 3 weeks of "beta" testing...not months.

May 16 (week 20) is when 16.1 began rolling out.

May 20 (week 21) is when 16.2 began rolling out.

As long as you use turn signals and/or steer the car over lane lines, it won't activate. It only activates when there is no torque on the steering wheel. So literally the only scenario where it should activate is when you're just resting your hands on the wheel and let the car gradually drift over lane lines.

Turns out gliding over the shoulder line a tad is a pretty normal way of driving on New England country roads. ELDA reeks of being tested mostly on highways, or clear straight roads.

Just keep in mind that over 70% of all HW2.5 vehicles have 2019.16.2 right now. How many people have complained about the new features here? Fifty? For every 1 person experiencing issues, there are hundreds enjoying the new features. And to top it off, 2019.16.2 comes with Advanced Software Update preferences, so if Tesla does make tweaks you'll be the first to get them.

It seems clear that there's magnitudes more discontent over this feature than is typical for updates. This is something Tesla should take very seriously. It's turned me from an enthusiastic promoter to no longer able to recommend the car to friends/family. I hope we get a fix soon, in which case I'll turn back into an enthusiastic promoter.

Downloaded the update but it failed to install. Model 3 in California on HW 2.5... :(
I had an issue with 16.2 that prevented it from installing. I called Tesla Roadside and they had me do a hard reset, but that didn't fix it. So I used the app to schedule service. After a while I got a text from Tesla and they remotely troubleshooted the problem and resent me the update. This time it worked to install when I tried via the app.

You guys aren't listening.

Why haven't they rolled out .16.2 to everyone? Masses of people have it but not everyone. Its been tested.

Look...this software version has really been out there for months now. Its not new. AND not everyone has it.

Don't think for a moment that just because 16.2 has started rolling out - that its new. They have beta testers that have been testing this for months now.
Now that its out there....and thousands upon thousands of people have it - why not everyone?

Question: Why isn't .15 fully rolled out yet? You mean to tell me that it hasn't been fully tested in tens of thousands of cars for months?

Because it can take several weeks to get statistically significant comparison data, and confidence to set a new baseline. You’ll get the update when they’re ready for you to get it.

And 16.2 has only been out for a week and a half.

Reactions: A2be
Just adding my discontent to the pile. ELDA is awful and downright dangerous on curvy mountain roads. People tend to cut corners and cross double yellow a bit into your lane so I tend to let car drift a bit over white line to have plenty of room. ELDA says nope and jerks you towards the oncoming car. Actually caused an oncoming car to jerk their wheel because they saw my car jerk towards them. Sure they were a bit over the line, but causing them to jerk their wheel mid turn is incredibly dangerous.

On top of that out on the rural roads where I live (TN) there is roadkill every 3-5 miles, which I tend to gently steer around. While not as dangerous as the other behaviors ELDA will sometimes jerk me back into lane causing me to hit or run over the road kill. Dangerous but also rather unpleasant to spray guts over car and also potentially damage bumper or underside.

Long story short, maybe ELDA is great for city and highway, but pleeease let us turn it permanently off, its too easy to forget to turn it off every time. I absolutely love my M3P its my favorite car yet by far, but if ELDA doesn't get fixed and if forcing elements of autodrive is going to be Tesla's policy going forward I will absolutely sell it and go back to Audi or one of the other germans.

Reactions: Matias and Perry
It seems clear that there's magnitudes more discontent over this feature than is typical for updates. This is something Tesla should take very seriously. It's turned me from an enthusiastic promoter to no longer able to recommend the car to friends/family. I hope we get a fix soon, in which case I'll turn back into an enthusiastic promoter.

I don't disagree with the fact that there are some issues for some people with these new features. But people like @Zoinks saying they're going to reject delivery because of it is undoubtedly an over-reaction. New features have been buggy in the past, and Tesla will push fixes.

Reactions: UTMB
Have you expressed your concerns with Tesla service? If your experience is as bad as you say and I have no reason to doubt you, then that should be your first step. Ask them to downgrade you.

In reality, if the feature didn't have the issues you are having, you'd have no issue having it on 24/7. That said, I have no doubt at all that they will get it ironed out soon and all will be well with the world again. I'm taking this thing cross country in a few days. Should be interesting. :)
Pls keep us posted on your adventure and how you manage the charging along the way. Be safe and have fun.

Reactions: ibGeek
I'm curious to see what I personally think of ELDA once I get the update. But one thing is pretty clear so far - it needs to be a feature that can be permanently toggled on/off. There are enough good, solid examples in this thread of where it may not work to the benefit of the driver but actually as a RISK to the driver.

It may be a great feature for lots of people (I think it will be good for me) but it still needs to be a permanent toggle switch.

Reactions: dloop
I took delivery first week of may with HW3 i had an update when I took delivery. That was for 12.1.2 that was the last update i have seen. i just checked with support and according to them i don't have the update waiting yet. My model S has received 2 updates this month.

I'm dismayed that these false-alarm reports keep coming. Why aren't people remembering to disable ELDA when they get in the car? I have an AP2 MS, so ELDA is not included in 16.2, but if an upgrade brings it to me in present form, I'll sure as hell not forget to disable it before driving. It should be part of the ritual of buckling up and checking the mirrors before putting the car in gear.
Unlike some here, I'm not angry at Tesla. (In fact, I'm pretty weary of all the outrage that's expressed on forums.) It's a glitch. Glitches are inevitable when you choose a car that updates its features every 20 days. It will be rectified. Until it is, we have to participate with Tesla in this miraculous system that gives us a "new car" every month. This week, at least, that participation involves letting the developers know there's a problem with ELDA and TURNING IT OFF until they fix it. I'll never willingly go back to the old way of upgrading cars only by buying a new one, and I'll not expect perfection in every update on my Tesla.

I don't disagree with the fact that there are some issues for some people with these new features. But people like @Zoinks saying they're going to reject delivery because of it is undoubtedly an over-reaction. New features have been buggy in the past, and Tesla will push fixes.

Lol, ok, guy. I don’t want a car that inserts itselt into my driving in a way I can’t permanently disable. You can call that whatever you want, but I’m dead serious about not taking delivery. Why would I? As multiple other people have pointed out in this thread, it is a material change to the product offering.

I'm dismayed that these false-alarm reports keep coming. Why aren't people remembering to disable ELDA when they get in the car? I have an AP2 MS, so ELDA is not included in 16.2, but if an upgrade brings it to me in present form, I'll sure as hell not forget to disable it before driving. It should be part of the ritual of buckling up and checking the mirrors before putting the car in gear.
Unlike some here, I'm not angry at Tesla. (In fact, I'm pretty weary of all the outrage that's expressed on forums.) It's a glitch. Glitches are inevitable when you choose a car that updates its features every 20 days. It will be rectified. Until it is, we have to participate with Tesla in this miraculous system that gives us a "new car" every month. This week, at least, that participation involves letting the developers know there's a problem with ELDA and TURNING IT OFF until they fix it. I'll never willingly go back to the old way of upgrading cars only by buying a new one, and I'll not expect perfection in every update on my Tesla.

So I’m supposed to pay Tesla tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege of going into a submenu and disabling this every time the car comes out of park? I’m sure they’ll improve the false positives a bit in future updates, but there is no indication whatsoever that this is not a feature they added doing exactly what it is supposed to. Don’t assume they’re ever going to make this optional.

Reactions: Perry and Rs3toM3P
Lol, ok, guy. I don’t want a car that inserts itselt into my driving in a way I can’t permanently disable. You can call that whatever you want, but I’m dead serious about not taking delivery. Why would I? As multiple other people have pointed out in this thread, it is a material change to the product offering.

I haven't personally had problems with this update, but you folks who have had problems, are they bad enough for you to encourage @Zoinks to reject delivery?