Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooh... I like those ground markings....

Literally the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the Tesla T on the ground in the parking space was: "Yea, but what will they look like when they are covered with grimy oil stains". Some ingrained visceral reactions will take some time to go away :smile:

I'll bet I'm not the first one who thought that either...

RT

Definitely not abandoned, coming in as a second phase, starting in CA and high-impact Western sites first. That is what we heard at the Cranberry site testing, anyway.

Besides the obvious advantage of reducing the cost of electricity the solar canopies will be very helpful in snowy northern climates and every where to get shelter from rain. When I grew up gas stations did not have canopies to keep you dry and protect you from the snow. Now just about every gas station has a canopy. Tesla may have too much on their plate but it would be nice to at see a few super charging stations get solar canopies this year.

Besides the obvious advantage of reducing the cost of electricity the solar canopies will be very helpful to snowy northern climates. When I grew up gas stations did not have canopies to keep you dry and protect you from the snow. Now just about every gas station has a canopy. Tesla may have too much on their plate but it would be nice to at see a few super charging stations get solar canopies this year.

Or at a minimum for now, just put up the canopies without solar to (1) keep the spaces clear of snow in the winter, (B) provide cover from rain in the summer, and (iii) create another visible barrier to ICE drivers NOT to park there.

Then at their leisure, they can return and add solar panels as needed.

Literally the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the Tesla T on the ground in the parking space was: "Yea, but what will they look like when they are covered with grimy oil stains". Some ingrained visceral reactions will take some time to go away :smile:

I'll bet I'm not the first one who thought that either...

RT
I confess! Also had a mental do-over.

Or at a minimum for now, just put up the canopies without solar to (1) keep the spaces clear of snow in the winter, (B) provide cover from rain in the summer, and (iii) create another visible barrier to ICE drivers NOT to park there.

Then at their leisure, they can return and add solar panels as needed.

Actually, shaded parking spots might be very tempting for ICE drivers in places like Quartzsite, Arizona.

Tesla blog on 100th Supercharger:

100 Supercharger Stations | Blog | Tesla Motors

Some interesting statistics:

SUPERCHARGERS BY THE NUMBERS (SO FAR)

• Gallons of gas offset by Superchargers: 570,921
  • Dollars saved in collective fuel costs: 2.3 million*
  • Miles charged: 14,273,033, enough to circle the globe 573 times
  • Cumulative total energy delivered to date: 4.9 million kWh
  • Cars charged in the last seven days: 5,196
  • Factor by which a Supercharger charges a Model S faster than at a public charging station: 16

regarding snow and canopies, who would be responsible for clearing the canopies of snow so the solar panels work properly?

Tesla, since Tesla pays for the electricity. They just need to leave some long snow brooms and I'm sure the odd bored Tesla driver would do it. More seriously it would make sense to have some heating on the panel. It wouldn't take that much heat to melt the bottom of the snow and then let gravity do the rest. But, they would need to ensure there's somewhere safe, and easy to clear, for the snow to go.

Well here is an interesting claim:
Meanwhile, we’re building a network that will ultimately mean drivers will never be more than 100 miles from a Supercharger. By the end of next year, we’ll have 98 percent of the U.S. population covered.

Let's assume that this is limited to the 48, contiguous states of the U.S. Take a few places like:
  1. Lake City, CO 81235 - Google Maps
  2. Ely, NV 89301 - Google Maps
  3. Stanley, ID - Google Maps

If Tesla truly gets the Supercharger network complete such that places like those above are less than 100 miles from a Supercharger (I assume driving distance on paved roads!), I will be very, very impressed!!! :biggrin:

It's 98% of the population ... Not 98% of the geographic areas.. Thus low population areas like you mention are likely in the 2%

It's 98 percent of the population covered by next year. But the preceding statement is more absolute--"ultimately" you will *never* be more than 100 miles from a Supercharger.

That seems hard to believe. I mean, that's a LOT Superchargers. Someone with better mapping skills than me could probably figure out how many...

Let's see, ballpark 1000 miles by 3000 miles. That would be a 10 by 30 grid at 100 mile separation. So 300 superchargers. I would say totally doable and with solar and batteries that probably yields alot of grid peak demand leveling.

It's actually even less than that because if they are 140 miles apart, the furthest you'd have to travel to get to one is 100 miles if my math is correct (assuming they are actually placed in a grid as you stated and you wanted to get from one to the other diagonally - could be less if each row is staggered). Of course this is line of sight distance and not actual road distance.

It's actually even less than that because if they are 140 miles apart, the furthest you'd have to travel to get to one is 100 miles if my math is correct (assuming they are actually placed in a grid as you stated and you wanted to get from one to the other diagonally - could be less if each row is staggered). Of course this is line of sight distance and not actual road distance.

I agree with your math. I was just being conservative based on the fact that there are already more than 10 superchargers, north to south, on both coasts. Any talk of this being impossible, is like dealers discussing how they are good for the consumer.