Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never scripted like an Apple production. Elon keeps it humble.

So true. There's this moment, when Elon is announcing something huge (Roadster 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds, Model S 300 mile range, and now solar-powered, CO-free, CO2-free, FREE free driving coast to coast), and Elon smiles nervously, looking to the crowd nervously but quietly as this mega, industry-changing reality gets introduced to us, and just says like,"I think this is really big, really", and I just want to jump up on stage next to him and hive five him and hug him and tackle him jump up and down and scream and...well, that's why they don't let me do the stage stuff. They actually don't even invite me to the events, to tell you the truth. So glad there's a first Model X delivery webcast next year. Think they'll invite me?

Twin chargers are for AC charging, the supercharger bypasses all of that circuitry and straight DC charging, so you shouldn't need the twin chargers.

Got it -- thanks for that clarification.

I think he's referring to the incremental "Option" charge for supercharging on the 60 kWh model. Slight extra fee (to cover expenses) that you pay once when you buy the car...then free charging for life!

That's what I was hoping. Knowing the cost of this (I suspect $1500 -- every option is $1500!) is making me start to wonder if buying the 85 kWh version would end up being a more economical purchase than the 60 kWh version (longevity, miles per charge, supercharging option, etc.).

No mention of battery storage on site? Or, did I miss that? So, how do the SCs work at night?

Pretty sure it's all grid-tied.

I couldn't quite tell what Elon mumbled about the SC cost for 60 kWh packs. Incremental? Nominal? For a limited time?

Sounds like the "Option" price for the 60 kWh batteries. One-time, pay when you get the car, then free charging for life.

Really? It looks like there are at least 3 SCs in the two-year plan for PHX-LA. And the one in Bairstow already operational.

I'm looking at the long term plan map posted a few pages back. I-10 looks uncovered. I'm surprised Palm Springs didn't get one, it being a vacation destination directly off an interstate.

We should compile a city list. In Arizona for long term plan its Phoenix, Tucson, Holbrook, Kingman/Needles/Havasu, Flagstaff.

New section on Tesla's website:

Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Supercharger.png

Did anyone notice the display showed the charging car (Elon's?) only added about 27 miles in the 15 minutes between when they first showed the dash, to just before the video ended? That's only about 108 miles in an hour, about 1/2 as fast as expected.

So true. There's this moment, when Elon is announcing something huge (Roadster 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds, Model S 300 mile range, and now solar-powered, CO-free, CO2-free, FREE free driving coast to coast), and Elon smiles nervously, looking to the crowd nervously but quietly as this mega, industry-changing reality gets introduced to us, and just says like,"I think this is really big, really", and I just want to jump up on stage next to him and hive five him and hug him and tackle him jump up and down and scream and...well, that's why they don't let me do the stage stuff. They actually don't even invite me to the events, to tell you the truth. So glad there's a first Model X delivery webcast next year. Think they'll invite me?

He doesn't have the army of fanatical followers like Apple yet. He'll have Apple-type announcements once Tesla is mainstream.

fwiw I was pretty geeked out durning the announcement too.

Did anyone notice the display showed the charging car (Elon's?) only added about 27 miles in the 15 minutes between when they first showed the dash, to just before the video ended? That's only about 108 miles in an hour, about 1/2 as fast as expected.

When did they plug it in? Does the supercharger initially charge slowly and then ramp up to reach a steady state? Was the car's amperage accidentally dialed back? Maybe the car was unplugged during the show for a little bit? Lots of possibilities here.

there was no mention of charge points there will be per supercharger station. Any ideas? it would suck to wait in a queue while others are getting charged
I think the day that that becomes a problem will be a very good day for Tesla. I think supercharger use will be uncommon at best for several years to come and Tesla should be able to ramp up to demand.