Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not sure his data source but I just grabbed data from supercharge.info and got these numbers for superchargers opened by month

1 Jul-12
0 Aug-12
1 Sep-12
0 Nov-12
5 Nov-12
2 Dec-12 (total of 9 in 2012)

0 Jan-13 to May-13
2 Jun-13
5 Jul-13
3 Aug-13
3 Sep-13
7 Oct-13
8 Nov-13
13 Dec-13 (total of 41 in 2013)

23 Jan-14
6 Feb-14
3 Mar-14
6 Apr-14
6 May-14
4 Jun-14
1 Jul-14 (partial month, up to 49 for 2014 so far)

note I counted a north/south split as one supercharger location, and only did USA (ignored Canada and other countries)

I also got 7 listed as in construction for the US and 10 in permit status for the US

So it looks like the pace is more even since we have no months in 2014 with zero chargers opened vs 2013 having five months with zero chargers opened. It also seems like the construction crews prefer working in cooler weather (imagine that). So we should see a ramp up in October as it starts to cool off.

We also have more done in the first half of 2014 than was done in all of 2013.

Last edited:
Not sure his data source but I just grabbed data from supercharge.info and got these numbers for superchargers opened by month

1 Jul-12
0 Aug-12
1 Sep-12
0 Nov-12
5 Nov-12
2 Dec-12 (total of 9 in 2012)

0 Jan-13 to May-13
2 Jun-13
5 Jul-13
3 Aug-13
3 Sep-13
7 Oct-13
8 Nov-13
13 Dec-13 (total of 41 in 2013)

23 Jan-14
6 Feb-14
3 Mar-14
6 Apr-14
6 May-14
4 Jun-14
1 Jul-14 (partial month, up to 49 for 2014 so far)

note I counted a north/south split as one supercharger location, and only did USA (ignored Canada and other countries)

I also got 7 listed as in construction for the US and 10 in permit status for the US

So it looks like the pace is more even since we have no months in 2014 with zero chargers opened vs 2013 having five months with zero chargers opened. It also seems like the construction crews prefer working in cooler weather (imagine that). So we should see a ramp up in October as it starts to cool off.

We also have more done in the first half of 2014 than was done in all of 2013.

The supercharger process has always been chunky. Looking at the data by month or year hides some of the trends. Let's look at it with a more detailed analysis. They did an initial install of 9 in 2012. Then had a 6 month hiatus. They restarted the process which bore fruit in June, 2013. There was a steady rate of new SCs - 1 every 5.7 days. In mid-December they picked up the pace with a new SC every 1.2 days but in January 2014, they fell back to a rate of one SC every 5.4 days. However, right now it looks like we're in a new period of about one every 10 days (5 in the last 50 days). The attached graphic goes through 6/13/2014 and clearly shows the phases. I didn't update it to show the new much slower phase that we seem to be in.
scs over time.png

If you look on Tesla Motors facebook page where they posted the Supercharger milestone. In the comment someone said, "Superchargers in Canada saved a total of *0* gallon of gas in the last year...". Then Tesla responded saying, "A lot of Canadian Superchargers are in the works and will start going live in the next month or so. So can we expect some Canadian Superchargers soon? :smile:

We have Indio, Wickenburg, and Cordes Junction Superchargers in North America roughly the same holding pattern - waiting for utility transformer hookup and then testing. Squamish is almost there, aimed for July 17th. Tifton may actually be done.

We may blow through 100 and head right to 104 within a week or so.

Oxnard looks like it is still missing the Superchargers, distribution cabinets, and utility transformer, but the rest of the site prep looks done.

Greenville looks like they hit a major snag and its on indefinite hold.

Therefore, as we hit 105, we should see about another 5 in startup phase.

Here in the Buffalo NY area we are still remote from Superchargers to the East. Albany is out of range. Syracuse still is not listed as coming soon. So, we'll be taking the Prius down to central NY later this month since there are no practical charging solutions for my Model S. Hopefully next year!

We have Indio, Wickenburg, and Cordes Junction Superchargers in North America roughly the same holding pattern - waiting for utility transformer hookup and then testing. Squamish is almost there, aimed for July 17th. Tifton may actually be done.

We may blow through 100 and head right to 104 within a week or so.

Tyl just posted to the Wickenburg thread that it should get final hookup from the utility and testing by Tesla tomorrow. Was supposed to be today, except the utility crew was pulled away for an emergency (it's monsoon season in AZ, so likely had to work to restore an outage caused by storm winds).

Here's hoping Indio gets some attention by Tuesday... Would love to not have to visit Tesla Cathedral City and supercharge in Indio instead...

I thought it would be interesting, now with 100 Superchargers in the U.S. to see how the coverage is going relative to the big media markets.

Here are the top 18 media markets in the U.S. ordered by size. I've put in the number of Superchargers within 160 miles, the number of Supercharger under construction within that range, and my rough estimates of "coverage" mainly by looking at the city pie and the major highways.

TeslaSuperchargerTopMarkets.png

Here they are on the Supercharge.info map:

TeslaSuperchargerTopMediaMarketsMap.png

In terms of coverage, Dallas, Atlanta, and Boston are most notably low in coverage in the top 10. Houston and Detroit are the next two in low coverage. Philly is also notable in low coverage, even though there are many Superchargers within the radius.

I messed up the Atlanta circle, should be 2 + 1. I got tired of this after 18. :)

I do wonder if Tesla uses DoT information to figure out the most highly travelled and desired routes.

Last edited:
I thought it would be interesting, now with 100 Superchargers in the U.S. to see how the coverage is going relative to the big media markets.

Here are the top 18 media markets in the U.S. ordered by size. I've put in the number of Superchargers within 160 miles, the number of Supercharger under construction within that range, and my rough estimates of "coverage" mainly by looking at the city pie and the major highways.

In terms of coverage, Dallas, Atlanta, and Boston are most notably low in coverage in the top 10. Houston and Detroit are the next two in low coverage. Philly is also notable in low coverage, even though there are many Superchargers within the radius.

I messed up the Atlanta circle, but the count is right. I got tired of this after 18. :)

I do wonder if Tesla uses DoT information to figure out the most highly travelled and desired routes.

See my post at Canadian Superchargers - Page 67. I did my analysis by population, but there should be some correlation. If you merge Canada and the U.S. then Toronto and Montreal should be in the top 20, have 0% coverage now, and only a few Superchargers on the way.

If you look on Tesla Motors facebook page where they posted the Supercharger milestone. In the comment someone said, "Superchargers in Canada saved a total of *0* gallon of gas in the last year...". Then Tesla responded saying, "A lot of Canadian Superchargers are in the works and will start going live in the next month or so. So can we expect some Canadian Superchargers soon? :smile:

I think that is "politically correct" answer. "In the works" could mean anything. Based on our scouting which has been 99% accurate (I think only one location popped up that were not aware of) there is not much progress in Canada at this time. They might be having discussions with cities/municipalities but I don't expect much relief is coming within the next month.

See my post at Canadian Superchargers - Page 67. I did my analysis by population, but there should be some correlation. If you merge Canada and the U.S. then Toronto and Montreal should be in the top 20, have 0% coverage now, and only a few Superchargers on the way.

Yeah, grabbing U.S. media markets was easier.

The real way to do this analysis is to survey locals and figure out where they drive and where they want to drive, sort the priority of routes and destinations, correct for population, and then mix and out pops where chargers should be located. I'm hoping Tesla is doing that in some fancy pants big data thingy sort of way.

I'd expect so, but the problem (of which I'm sure they are aware) is that you can't just rely on raw numbers. The question is: where do people who buy new cars go and when do they go there?

I expect that Maine's peak Tesla Owner Demand:Average ratio is pretty high. Maine has the highest percentage of vacation/2nd homes in the country.