Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would probably only apply if the supercharger is being built in unincorporated Orange County.

True, but so-far, many of the Supercharger sites have been found in unincorporated areas. I linked it in case FredTMC knew some way to search that system. The possible cities in the expected area either don't have online systems, their online systems don't allow search by property owner, or don't show anything by Tesla, so we're in the dark so-far in OC.

First Colorado Supercharger? I heard from a friend whose son is the Asst. Town Manager in Silverthorne that there is a Supercharger going in at the Outlets at Silverthorne. Anyone able to scout it for us?

That location is 85 miles from my home in Broomfield and on the far side of the Eisenhower Tunnel, so it's a lot more useful than the rumored Idaho Springs location. For instance, it would make an Aspen round trip via Independence Pass possible using only the Supercharger, for those with an 85kWh pack. Taos would be right on the edge of possibility at 259 miles from the Supercharger, but there's a KOA near Alamosa if you wanted to stop for an hour or two to add a bit more range.

If they add another Supercharger at Glenwood Spgs, as rumor has it, then Moab is in range for 85's starting on the Front Range, with a single charging stop at Glenwood; you'd just have to find a place to charge overnight in Moab to get back to the Glenwood charger.

Visited the Normal, IL site. See the Midwest forum for pics and progress. I'll leave this nugget though:

uploadfromtaptalk1371174473594.jpg

Visited the Normal, IL site. See the Midwest forum for pics and progress. I'll leave this nugget though:

Interesting that it is almost identical to the original first seen at Harris Ranch (which was believed at the time to be a 9-stack vs. 12-stack). See end of here.

Some of these ratings don't seem to match reality - 210A output is only 78kW at a typical charging voltage of 375 - and these chargers are supposed to deliver 120kW. Even if they can't sustain the 120kW and that's only a peak rating, 78kW is a pretty big derating.

The input numbers don't seem to add up either - assuming that's total current across the three phases, that's only 58kW (208V) or 77kW (480V), but it can't be current per phase either as that would be too much.

Updated: that last sentence is rubbish. 208V is 120 to neutral, so 280A per phase gives 120 * 280 * 3 = 100.8kW and 480V is 277 to neutral, so 160A per phase gives 277 * 160 * 3 = 133kW. So that's quite reasonable - you can't quite get the full output on 208V (the original single-stall unit at Harris Ranch maybe?), but you do on 480V.
The DC output numbers are still surprising however.

Apologies for the error in my original - I'm not accustomed to thinking with these N. American voltages!

Last edited:
Interesting that it is almost identical to the original first seen at Harris Ranch (which was believed at the time to be a 9-stack vs. 12-stack). See end of here.

Some of these ratings don't seem to match reality - 210A output is only 78kW at a typical charging voltage of 375 - and these chargers are supposed to deliver 120kW. Even if they can't sustain the 120kW and that's only a peak rating, 78kW is a pretty big derating.

Even at the rated output voltage & current, it is 86kW max as well. Weird.

That's it. Tesla discover over-unity charging...

We've also seen that a single car will start drawing 275A as well, so it's clear those numbers aren't quite correct. It is indeed weird.

As I mentioned on the Normal, IL thread, it does lend credence to my theory on how it's hooked up, though... The specification of a neutral requirement for 480VAC means they're using the 277V L-N voltage when 480VAC is supplied (480Y/277VAC) versus the 240V L-L voltage when 240V 3-phase delta is supplied.

First Colorado Supercharger? I heard from a friend whose son is the Asst. Town Manager in Silverthorne that there is a Supercharger going in at the Outlets at Silverthorne. Anyone able to scout it for us?

That location is 85 miles from my home in Broomfield and on the far side of the Eisenhower Tunnel, so it's a lot more useful than the rumored Idaho Springs location. For instance, it would make an Aspen round trip via Independence Pass possible using only the Supercharger, for those with an 85kWh pack. Taos would be right on the edge of possibility at 259 miles from the Supercharger, but there's a KOA near Alamosa if you wanted to stop for an hour or two to add a bit more range.

If they add another Supercharger at Glenwood Spgs, as rumor has it, then Moab is in range for 85's starting on the Front Range, with a single charging stop at Glenwood; you'd just have to find a place to charge overnight in Moab to get back to the Glenwood charger.

Yeah I suppose Silverthorne makes more sense than Idaho Springs. It's only about 48kWh away from Fort Collins, which is totally do-able. Glenwood spgs looks to be another 23 kWh away, so I would guess the next one will be between there and Grand Junction

Personally I'm looking forward to one near Pueblo and then in Las Vegas NM so I can trek to the inlaws' in ABQ

The map surprises me in some ways. Tesla is planning to put a Supercharger in Ithaca, NY? Really? The location of that dot on the map can't really be anythying but Ithaca... it seems to be too far north for Binghamton, Elmira and Corning, and too far west for Cortland...

That's kind of cool (not that it will be useful for me, since I live in Ithaca) but it's odd, because Ithaca is one of the only cities in the US which is not on an expressway. We welcome the additional tourist traffic taking the state highways to visit us, of course. :wink:

On another note, my planned trip to Lansing, Michigan this December looks like it will actually work :biggrin: -- if the Jackson, MI Supercharger opens on time. I'll have to go via Canada and use Sun Country Highway in Niagara Falls (as previously planned), and I'll then have to detour south to get to the Supercharger, but at least I won't have to suffer through trying to get a full charge on 20-amp charging, which was looking likely given the state of charging in Michigan.

The planned locations still have a bit of "what the hell" to them, however (beyond my surprise at seeing a Supercharger planned for Ithaca). Still no plan for Erie, PA? You can't get from Ithaca to anywhere in Ohio without stopping to charge in, roughly speaking, Erie. Youngstown is too far. The way Tesla is setting it up, I'd have to detour a hundred miles north to Buffalo. And even Buffalo-Youngstown is a bit longer of a gap than desirable in the winter.

Erie PA, please.

- - - Updated - - -

My problem is still traveling out of Northwest Arkansas in any direction except west to Tulsa.
And you're going to have nothing until 2015, judging by the map.
At which point you'll be able to go... east. And southeast.

I'm surprised that there isn't a better plan for the I-55 (a.k.a. Mississippi River) route; even in the 2015 plan the St. Louis-Memphis gap is too large and would require intermediate charging.

The map surprises me in some ways. Tesla is planning to put a Supercharger in Ithaca, NY? Really? The location of that dot on the map can't really be anythying but Ithaca... it seems to be too far north for Binghamton, Elmira and Corning, and too far west for Cortland...

That dot looks large enough to cover most of those places, but I'd bet on some place on Rt 81. I doubt dot locations are exact at this point. Other than existing and soon to exist locations.

I'm surprised that there isn't a better plan for the I-55 (a.k.a. Mississippi River) route; even in the 2015 plan the St. Louis-Memphis gap is too large and would require intermediate charging.

This is a point of frustration for me personally.. I live in STL, but will not be able to drive down to Memphis and then on to Little Rock without alternative intermediate charging. Of course, I remind myself that the map is really a near-term plan.. who knows what it will look like in 3+ years. Maybe then I will even be able to drive down to NOLA.

I'm excited to see that there are plans for a Supercharger somewhere in the vicinity of San Bernardino in Southern California, perfect for trips up to Big Bear Lake, over Cajon Pass, or out toward Palm Springs. As mountain residents hoping to one day own a Tesla, this is great news! (We're also happy, as LEAF owners, to see new CHAdeMO chargers springing up near our mountain range that we can use today.)

It's also wonderful that Tesla is covering US 395 in eastern California, a key route to Sierra Nevada Mountains recreation. Tesla apparently understands the importance, even if symbolic, of having access to this remote area from California's big cities. If we can reach even the highest trailheads in the Sierra without an ICE, then we are set!

Finally, I will say that when we do eventually purchase a Tesla vehicle, our desire is to use it on camping trips. Unfortunately, we've discovered through experience camping with our LEAF that it can be a bummer to always have to limit ourselves to campsites with RV hookups for charging purposes, as we often prefer more isolated, quieter, and more beautiful campgrounds. What's great about the Supercharger network is that it should lessen the need for overnight charging while traveling, particularly in well-covered areas.

When using a Supercharger, does the user have the ability to dial down the Amps? Or does the Supercharger determine everything?

I know on other charging, where the onboard charger is being used, that we have the flexibility to dial down the power if there is no rush. But since the Superchargers are DC, I am wondering if we still have that flexibility.

The reason I ask is because 120 kw is a lot of power. As long as nobody is waiting behind me, I wouldn't mind dialing it back to a lower amperage in order to recharge at less intensive setting, especially if I am just trying to get 50 miles of extra range to reach a destination.

When using a Supercharger, does the user have the ability to dial down the Amps? Or does the Supercharger determine everything?

I know on other charging, where the onboard charger is being used, that we have the flexibility to dial down the power if there is no rush. But since the Superchargers are DC, I am wondering if we still have that flexibility.

The reason I ask is because 120 kw is a lot of power. As long as nobody is waiting behind me, I wouldn't mind dialing it back to a lower amperage in order to recharge at less intensive setting, especially if I am just trying to get 50 miles of extra range to reach a destination.

I have seen an empty 4 stall supercharger fill up with cars in a few minutes. Don't assume that just because no one else is there, that you won't be clogging up the line in the blink of an eye. If you're not going to take the full speed feed then you probably should not be using the supercharger. Better to find an AC charger and top up the extra 50 miles slowly there.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any more information regarding the additional California locations that are supposed to be open by the end of this month? The Wiki lists the one in Buellton, CA but there are other grey dots in and around the 101 that are supposed to come online. My wife and I are planning a road trip to Carmel and San Francisco in mid July.

I would argue this is another reason to have HPCs and 14-50 available nearby.

"I only needed 50 miles, so I only have 10 minutes left now that you showed up."
"Why didn't you charge the 50mph 'the way Elon intended' so that you'd already be on the road and out of my way?"

Note: I'm not equating Elon to God here, just having fun with phrasing. Put down your torches please.