Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Director of Investor Relations Martin Viecha told analysts from Deutschebank that Cybertruck uses existing battery modules. It was discussed shortly after the conference, which was a couple weeks after the CT reveal.

TL;dr Don't expect Cybertruck to debut new bty tech.
I don't see how that's possible, unless the CT is either far lighter than we think or the cost savings on building them is gigantic.

S
Your main point of little overlap between EV and ICE drivetrains is surely true.
Your second suggesting Sony knows more about EV battery setup than ICE companies seems unfounded.

"Sony Corporation manufactures audio, home video game consoles, communications, key device, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. The Company's other businesses include music, pictures, computer entertainment, and online businesses."

Sony and Panasonic compete in several markets but battery cell and EV drivetrains aren't one of them.
Sony is entertaining the notion of coming out with an EV because they are even more clueless about how difficult that is than Audi and other ICE vehicle makers.

Sony was the first company to commercialize lithium-ion batteries -- beginning in the early 1990's. While they did sell that line of business in 2017 and they weren't able to compete on price very well, it wasn't that long ago and they likely have a lot of retained know-how and institutional knowledge (and likely even royalty-free licenses on their former battery technology to the extent that's worth anything).

Not in the same league as Panasonic or Tesla, but that's definitely a step above ICE companies.

And, Sony is also a world leader in imaging and seems to be taking a similar approach to Tesla in autonomy. Again, that's way ahead of ICE companies.

Like Apple, I don't think Sony necessarily will sell an actual car, but they are positioning to act as a supplier to other OEMs and could theoretically muscle their way into building an actual car if the OEMs don't bite. And again, like Apple, their core skillset of industrial and software design, along with their imaging and battery know-how, are more useful to the future of cars than anything ICE manufacturers can offer.

On the other hand, Apple hasn't succeeded yet (or even shown us anything) and they have a lot more money than Sony. And, Sony has definitely stumbled in the past.

(Btw, this is a welcome diversionary discussion from watching the stock price and interesting, I think, to the long-term competitive landscape for Tesla)

A mental exercise: if you have $10k to invest (that's all the money, no new money), stock XYZ is at $200. You know for a fact XYZ has 80% chance to go straight to $8k a share in 10 years. It also has 20% chance to drop to $140 temporarily, then rally to $8k.

Which of the following will give you the most return?

1. Wait for it to drop to $140, then get the max number of shares;
2. Invest half at $200, keep the other half in cash wait for the $140 entry;
3. Invest half at $200, keep the other half in cash, if stock goes to $500, invest the rest;
4. Invest them all at $200.

AD6291D9-B6E2-4799-964B-CD25C649792C.jpeg

I’m thinking about tomorrow. You guys are the BEST.

I bought early solely based on 2 data points:

1. Product is amazing.

2. CEO landing rockets on barges.

I recommend this investment strategy.

(At least on a day like today)
I also bought in relatively early (April 2013, ~$50), based mainly on two other points:
1. Reading about Elon's rebuttal to the NYT hit piece where the lying author desperately tried to brick a test car;
2. Reading Elon's rebuttal to the NYT hit piece where the lying author desperately tried to brick a test car -- in the process ripping not only that clown and his silly article but the entire paper to shreds. NYT apologized.

This opened my eyes to both the product and the driving personality behind it. I was lucky to get in so early but still a bit nervous, so I sold around the peak to regain my stake and my tranquillity. Later added, sometimes on dips. :rolleyes:

Now my position is well over my house mortgage value, but I needed a little cash so sold one today @497. 499 did not go through. o_O Oh well, maybe a new day tomorrow, eh? :D

GLTAL as we say it over här.

The most obvious protection is that the shorts must daily put enough cash (it's all handled automatically by their broker) into a 4th or 5th party account that enables the lender of the shares to receive 102% (that's the number I remember - it's at least 100%) of yesterday's closing price in the event of a default.

Since the bell has rung (and what a ring), let me just mention a curious exception to the above.

Like others, Robinhood allows retail investors to buy stock and use their long position as collateral for new trades.

Robinhood had however a bug that meant that the value of the long position that could be used as collateral forgot to take into account when the long position was already comprising shares bought via this mechanism. By buying over and over, a customer could leverage their initial trade by an unlimited factor. This loophole was aptly named 'infinite leverage'.

Incredibly, one redditor posted a detailed description of how he turned an initial deposit of 2k$ into a balance of 1 million dollars, i.e. a leverage of 500 times. He apparently hoped that no one would notice so that he could profit from this factor-500 leverage.

Naturally, the stock he bought fluctuated downwards by the tiniest amount, sending his portfolio into a negative that exceeded his total worth by far. Since this was in part Robinhood's fault, they made some kind of compromise, incl. him being indefinitely banned from there...

Since this sounds so incredible, I took a minute to find a reference:
The jig is up: Robinhood says it's closed the 'infinite leverage' loophole that allowed users to build positions worth millions | Markets Insider

Yes, software developers are not always as smart as they think...

my biggest fear is poor m3 demand that drops in places like the USA and the Netherlands due to lower incentives and seasonality. But there is a possibility that demand keeps strong and new demand from the U.K. keeps the production lines at full power.

Another possible positive is of course early model Y shipments and FSD developments.

We've pretty reliably seen drops in price when Tesla has concerns about demand, so that would be a warning sign. So far, no price drops in Q1...bullish so far.

A mental exercise: if you have $10k to invest (that's all the money, no new money), stock XYZ is at $200. You know for a fact XYZ has 80% chance to go straight to $8k a share in 10 years. It also has 20% chance to drop to $140 temporarily, then rally to $8k.

Which of the following will give you the most return?

1. Wait for it to drop to $140, then get the max number of shares;
2. Invest half at $200, keep the other half in cash wait for the $140 entry;
3. Invest half at $200, keep the other half in cash, if stock goes to $500, invest the rest;
4. Invest them all at $200.

I would invest the $200 all right now, and spend my time and energy trying to earn more money versus trying to predict the bottom.