Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Can confirm 2022.24.6 seems to have switched to Tesla Vision for my HW3 radar car in Finland. Auto high beams forced on for Autosteer, and minimum follow distance is 2. A few minor phantom breaks appeared on a familiar route that didn't happen before. These seem like the legacy Tesla Vision neural nets, and not the latest stuff from the FSD Beta branch.

No mention in the release notes about the change, though.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Can confirm 2022.24.6 seems to have switched to Tesla Vision for my HW3 radar car in Finland. Auto high beams forced on for Autosteer, and minimum follow distance is 2. A few minor phantom breaks appeared on a familiar route that didn't happen before. These seem like the legacy Tesla Vision neural nets, and not the latest stuff from the FSD Beta branch.

No mention in the release notes about the change, though.
Check the release notes for 2022.24. Apparently they get retroactively updated when you install 24.6.

Can confirm my “legacy” ‘18 M3P w/ 2.5 hw did the update to 2022.24.6 yesterday and I don’t have Vision, still have 1 car length available, and no forced auto HBs or wipers. Did get the cool unlisted brakes w/ regen option under pedals though.

I’ve got an Outback with Eyesight too — but even with the stereoscopic cameras, it still doesn’t have auto steering.

Shame, I was humoring an upgrade to 3.0 hw for the traffic lights, etc… but it’s an absolute no for me now. Gonna ride out the radar AP for as long as I can lol👌🏾

Ok, so isn’t this verification that Tesla is still maintaining two software stacks? People keep saying that they’re trying to focus on one and that this change “had to happen”. I want the latest update + radar too even tho

Ok, so isn’t this verification that Tesla is still maintaining two software stacks? People keep saying that they’re trying to focus on one and that this change “had to happen”. I want the latest update + radar too even tho
I would think that they are! Mine is a 2018, so I had to spend $3k to unlock the basic Autopilot that’s now standard — my car only came with “dumb” cruise control in 2018.

Tesla will have to maintain two stacks, even if they figure out how to put Vision on HW 2.5. The only way for them to do a single stack is to cancel AutoPilot completely for HW 2.5 folks unless you upgrade to HW 3.0 and Vision. And if they do that, I’m gonna want my $3000 back I spent on basic AutoPilot, that’s for DAMN sure.

Sidenote, updated to 2022.24.8 last night and still have radar and no auto HBs.

Can confirm my “legacy” ‘18 M3P w/ 2.5 hw did the update to 2022.24.6 yesterday and I don’t have Vision, still have 1 car length available, and no forced auto HBs or wipers. Did get the cool unlisted brakes w/ regen option under pedals though.

I’ve got an Outback with Eyesight too — but even with the stereoscopic cameras, it still doesn’t have auto steering.

Shame, I was humoring an upgrade to 3.0 hw for the traffic lights, etc… but it’s an absolute no for me now. Gonna ride out the radar AP for as long as I can lol👌🏾
Damn, almost makes me want to figure out if its possible to downgrade to 2.5 to get radar back on cars that never came with it.

Damn, almost makes me want to figure out if its possible to downgrade to 2.5 to get radar back on cars that never came with it.
Meanwhile theres a ratio of like 5000:1 Tesla owners who are noticing any difference here. It felt vastly improved to me on my roadtrip this weekend. Shrug. Do you drive around in reverse too?

This is alot of whining considering the real only active development in the autopilot stack over the past 1-2 years has been on the Vision/FSD stacks. I know we all heard some things about vision in the beginning but it's come a very very long way.

Meanwhile theres a ratio of like 5000:1 Tesla owners who are noticing any difference here. It felt vastly improved to me on my roadtrip this weekend. Shrug. Do you drive around in reverse too?

This is alot of whining considering the real only active development in the autopilot stack over the past 1-2 years has been on the Vision/FSD stacks. I know we all heard some things about vision in the beginning but it's come a very very long way.
The autopilot performance while not *great* is tolerable save for some phantom braking. But the forced auto highbeams is unacceptable to me. Makes the thing useless at night.

Also having driven radar equipped Teslas, I do not think vision only represents an improvement over radar. In the best case scenarios it can achieve parity, in most cases it is worse. It still exhibits ridiculous behavior that should have been solved years ago (swerving to the right as soon as a lane closes for example)

Has anyone who updated to “Tesla Vision” from a radar equipped car gone and physically unplugged radar to see if it throws any errors? If not, I volunteer as Guinea pig for a weekend project.

I’m general, I agree with Shmoe, after driving a 100 miles on Tesla vision stack with thousands of miles on the previous version I don’t notice a significant performance hit. I’d rather be on this stack that will continue to be updated with the latest improvements.
Also - with HW2.5 and previous software there was a spot I have always experienced insane phantom braking on I-75N just north of Knoxville since 2018. It would slow from cruising speeds of 75+ down to ~50. Excited to test here in a few weeks if Tesla Vision has solved that.

Reactions: Shmoe
The autopilot performance while not *great* is tolerable save for some phantom braking. But the forced auto highbeams is unacceptable to me. Makes the thing useless at night.

Also having driven radar equipped Teslas, I do not think vision only represents an improvement over radar. In the best case scenarios it can achieve parity, in most cases it is worse. It still exhibits ridiculous behavior that should have been solved years ago (swerving to the right as soon as a lane closes for example)
I'd be far more upset if the auto-highbeams weren't able to be toggled off, yes you have to do it every time. But it's still possible.

I've gotta also add in the places where AP would swerve due to those lanes ending, opening etc even that seems improved. It's still there but corrects alot quicker, near instantly.

I get this is all ancedotal and could be in my head but so far Vision for me is at par or better than AP with radar -- and MUCH MUCH better than the vision AP that was in the FSD stack early on. Highway AP was freaking terrible in the beginning.

Reactions: nvx1977
I've gotta also add in the places where AP would swerve due to those lanes ending, opening etc even that seems improved. It's still there but corrects alot quicker, near instantly.

I get this is all ancedotal and could be in my head but so far Vision for me is at par or better than AP with radar -- and MUCH MUCH better than the vision AP that was in the FSD stack early on. Highway AP was freaking terrible in the beginning.

It is not a universal gripe that eliminating radar made performance worse. I lost radar when I got into FSDb. I went from having the occasional phantom braking on the highway due to overpasses and signs to almost no phantom braking. Note that highway uses old AP/NoA code rather than FSDb code.

But around when radar was first removed, a new type of phantom braking emerged, where the car was overly sensitive to cars in other lanes drifting closer. My guess is that the perceived increase in phantom braking due to the loss of radar was because of this. Since then, Tesla seems to have made some tweaks and this type of PB has been significantly reduced.

So.... still lots of memories of potentially poor performance on vision-only, but lately it seems like people are having better experiences with it. in general of course. I'm sure there are still people who are adamant that losing radar has been horrendous.

Reactions: Vol16 and Shmoe
It is not a universal gripe that eliminating radar made performance worse. I lost radar when I got into FSDb. I went from having the occasional phantom braking on the highway due to overpasses and signs to almost no phantom braking. Note that highway uses old AP/NoA code rather than FSDb code.

But around when radar was first removed, a new type of phantom braking emerged, where the car was overly sensitive to cars in other lanes drifting closer. My guess is that the perceived increase in phantom braking due to the loss of radar was because of this. Since then, Tesla seems to have made some tweaks and this type of PB has been significantly reduced.

So.... still lots of memories of potentially poor performance on vision-only, but lately it seems like people are having better experiences with it. in general of course. I'm sure there are still people who are adamant that losing radar has been horrendous.
So I stupidly got suspended for glancing at the screen just slightly too long when it got overly sensitive for a bit around FSD 10.2 and requested to be taken out of the program only a week before they reset everyone's suspensions.

The 4-5 weeks I was on the fsd beta with it disabled and just using vision AP were QUITE rough at the time. Quite noticeable when I got put back on production builds and had my radar turned back on.

I've never driven the FSD beta so I can't really comment on that. My experience with vision only has been inferior to radar, but maybe 2022.24.6 and later are better (don't have much seat time there yet)

My 2021 M3 LR is now running 2022.24.8 and on Tesla Vision in place of radar. So far, it’s an improvement. Not one phantom braking event in today’s drive, where before it was a given to have at least one each trip with the car screaming at us. I also noticed it is smoother without following in lockstep with the car in front (which used to be a annoyance when the lead car was driving jerky-jerky).

I also am impressed with the simulated rumble strip at the lane edge. Very convincing sensation through the steering wheel (and stereo?).

Given a whole lot of people, including my neighbor, have been Tesla Vision since they day they bought their cars during the supply chain shortage, I’m not worried. Seems fine. Much ado about nothing.

Reactions: Yelobird