Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision coming to radar-equipped cars on 2022.24.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 release notes are now available and now brings Tesla Vision to radar-equipped vehicles. This change was first seen in the mystery 2022.20.9 release which was only pushed out to a small number of cars.
Tesla Update 2022.24.6 Release Notes | Tesla Updates

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 6.15.42 PM.png

(Credit: Tesla Updates)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
Removing features for safety is never grounds for legal action as long as that feature is repaired/adjusted in a reasonable amount of time.

The reason the speed limit was lowered from 90MPH (w/radar) to 85MPH (w/vision) is due to the hardware being validated for safety. When vision-only was released initially, AP was limited to 75MPH. After some time, that was increased to 80MPH. And now we're at 85MPH. There is no reason not to believe that it will increase to the original 90MPH at some point in the near future as they ensure the system hardware is handling it safely.

Reactions: Shmoe
FSD development (which Tesla Vision is a subset of) has been HW3-only for years now. It's hard to see how that would change at this point.

As a side note, it was interesting how there were claims early to mid 2019 that HW3 wouldn't make any difference without FSD. It's actually kind of amazing how much different it is now, as all the occupancy network stuff and such eventually comes to all HW3 cars.
Exactly why I always use Apple and their M1 chip as an example of this. An in-house designed propriety chip will always be leading class due to the optimisation. Tesla designed their own chip and look at what it's capable of so far, imagine Tesla Chip Gen-2

Removing features for safety is never grounds for legal action as long as that feature is repaired/adjusted in a reasonable amount of time.

The reason the speed limit was lowered from 90MPH (w/radar) to 85MPH (w/vision) is due to the hardware being validated for safety. When vision-only was released initially, AP was limited to 75MPH. After some time, that was increased to 80MPH. And now we're at 85MPH. There is no reason not to believe that it will increase to the original 90MPH at some point in the near future as they ensure the system hardware is handling it safely.

forced high beam is dangerous since it doesn't work right. disabling radar is also less safe since the TV is not working right either according to people in here.

I also want to add that after map update for me the speed limit data is worse than it was before

Reactions: Mikecm1 and PerBB
Cool, let's get some money out of them or ensure that Tesla has to maintain 2 stacks perpetually because of people who don't like change :(
I would prefer they maintain two stacks until one of better than (or at least equal to) the other. Nerfing cars with more capable equipment is kind of a sign that you're giving up and just facing money on SW dev.

I would prefer they maintain two stacks until one of better than (or at least equal to) the other. Nerfing cars with more capable equipment is kind of a sign that you're giving up and just facing money on SW dev.
I think we've got some very short memories about the same complaints occurring with the AP2 stack once Mobileye was out of the picture. If forced to do this, I'd imagine/sort of hope not much time is given to backporting features to this branch so the focus is still mostly on moving forward, not backwards.

Can confirm my “legacy” ‘18 M3P w/ 2.5 hw did the update to 2022.24.6 yesterday and I don’t have Vision, still have 1 car length available, and no forced auto HBs or wipers. Did get the cool unlisted brakes w/ regen option under pedals though.

I’ve got an Outback with Eyesight too — but even with the stereoscopic cameras, it still doesn’t have auto steering.

Shame, I was humoring an upgrade to 3.0 hw for the traffic lights, etc… but it’s an absolute no for me now. Gonna ride out the radar AP for as long as I can lol👌🏾

Reactions: KArnold
Cool, let's get some money out of them or ensure that Tesla has to maintain 2 stacks perpetually because of people who don't like change :(

That's on them. They should maintain it until it's on parity. There have been successful class actions since they were lagging behind on AP2 when it came out.

I think we've got some very short memories about the same complaints occurring with the AP2 stack once Mobileye was out of the picture. If forced to do this, I'd imagine/sort of hope not much time is given to backporting features to this branch so the focus is still mostly on moving forward, not backwards.

It has gone backwards since 2018. Right now they seem not to be fixing or maintaining anything, just the bare minimum, to not get sued. All hands on deck for FSD which we cannot enjoy yet. They have so much money that they can hire people to maintain and improve the current stacks.

forced high beam is dangerous since it doesn't work right. disabling radar is also less safe since the TV is not working right either according to people in here.

I also want to add that after map update for me the speed limit data is worse than it was before
Because the people in here are so much smarter than the engineers that work for Tesla... LOL

Got a notice for 24.6 while on the road to work and let it update while at work. On my drive home I first noticed the auto high beams turning on and I couldn’t understand why - though I would just reboot when I got home. Then, I was traveling with a particularly fast moving group and discovered the MPH limitation, and when I got off the highway onto 2-lane for the final 11 minutes, I had two phantom brake events. This thing is awful now. So sad I didn’t discover this thread beforehand. What a sucky downgrade. I hope they fix it. My first negative experience with Tesla, so far.

Can confirm my “legacy” ‘18 M3P w/ 2.5 hw did the update to 2022.24.6 yesterday and I don’t have Vision, still have 1 car length available, and no forced auto HBs or wipers. Did get the cool unlisted brakes w/ regen option under pedals though.

I’ve got an Outback with Eyesight too — but even with the stereoscopic cameras, it still doesn’t have auto steering.

Shame, I was humoring an upgrade to 3.0 hw for the traffic lights, etc… but it’s an absolute no for me now. Gonna ride out the radar AP for as long as I can lol👌🏾
I’m on a 2018 X and AP2.5 hw. I got the update but no sign of Tesla Vision yet.

HW3 I think is a $1,000 upgrade if I pay on my own. Any known benefit to doing that if I have enhanced AP but not FSD? Would I also get blind spot in MCU?
Some people have reported getting the HW3 upgrade for free, even without FSD. You'll get more visualizations with HW3, but legacy S/X cars don't get the blind spot camera even with HW3. If the upgrade is free, go for it, but otherwise not worth it unless you plan to subscribe to FSD at some point.

Some people have reported getting the HW3 upgrade for free, even without FSD. You'll get more visualizations with HW3, but legacy S/X cars don't get the blind spot camera even with HW3. If the upgrade is free, go for it, but otherwise not worth it unless you plan to subscribe to FSD at some point.
I'm one of those people who received the HW3 upgrade for free even though I only have basic AP. I made a thread here where a few others are also setting up service visits and seeing $0 estimates. I have yet to receive 24.6, but not really eager to after reading through this thread.