Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Doesn’t matter if it takes HW10 and the Muskovite admits defeat and realises that FSD can’t be achieved without Radar/LIDAR, ALL cars should be upgraded for free. For years if necessary. A promise is a promise.
They’ll wriggle out of that - either the cars cannot physically be upgraded to a functional FSD or Musk wasn't speaking on behalf of the company at the time or some other spin or a tiny rebate for the expected life of the car's FSD (because after all you knew it was only Beta..)

RSymons youtube thinks Tesla Vision has improved self parking for parallel but cant do perpendicular
That’s because the space was too small. When he tested the Hyundai and moved the Tesla back into a space it was a lot wider. The whole video was stupid because the camera man was standing near the car on other manoeuvres making the car stop.

That’s because the space was too small. When he tested the Hyundai and moved the Tesla back into a space it was a lot wider. The whole video was stupid because the camera man was standing near the car on other manoeuvres making the car stop.
Yes but in real life conditions at times there will be pedestrians standing on the pavement while you'll want to autopark. It's a stupid Tesla behaviour to freeze all car movement if a pedestrian is detected even 30 feet away...

Yes but in real life conditions at times there will be pedestrians standing on the pavement while you'll want to autopark. It's a stupid Tesla behaviour to freeze all car movement if a pedestrian is detected even 30 feet away...
The cameraman was about 6ft away though. Better to be safe than sorry. That could be a child who will run out. I wouldn’t use auto park if there are visible pedestrians by the car

Given that some people have been explicitly told by Tesla that their 2023 vehicle has USS fitted I don’t understand how you can confidently state that.
We will see when those with VIN indicating 2023 model year get their vehicles if Tesla are correct or not.

It makes little sense to increment the model year when you’re producing the older model.

In any case it will be a few vehicles and and as a generalisation to stop rampant speculation I think it’s perfectly valid to state that.

If you get a 2023 model year vin with USS you will be in a significant minority.

Not true. This space is ginormous!!...

tesla.png

If it can't recognise and get in that, I question the usefulness of the feature!

The BMW did move further apart between the Tesla's various attempts, presumably to help it, but was in exactly the same place between the final Tesla attempt and the Hyundai's successful attempt. The Tesla was parked pretty much exactly in the same place the Hyundai was parked. Compare the position of the right front wheels with that pothole/depression on the ground in front of them - if anything the Hyundai is a little further apart giving the Tesla a bigger gap, but there is only inches in it at most.

hyundai.png

No need to make excuses. It is what it is - it was a fair test and Tesla failed in this case. Hopefully Tesla improves over time! Not that I'm ordering EAP anyway as it's pretty useless currently where I live, and even more useless without USS!

EDIT: In fact if I'm not mistaken the Tesla can't perform perpendicular parking as in this test anyway, so it didn't stand a chance! According to the user manual it requires to be able to see three clear lines to be able to recognise a parking space - it can't just park between two vehicles in unmarked spaces. I believe this is just the current state of the Vision autopark, while the old USS-only autopark could only park between two cars (needing them for reference) and couldn't park on empty but marked spaces at all. They just need to get the Vision USS replacement up and running then tie it all together so it can perpendicular park both between vehicles in unmarked spaces and in marked spaces with or without other vehicles present. Five years then :)

Last edited:
Reactions: H43lio

View attachment 874820

If it can't recognise and get in that, I question the usefulness of the feature!

The BMW did move further apart between the Tesla's various attempts, presumably to help it, but was in exactly the same place between the final Tesla attempt and the Hyundai's successful attempt. The Tesla was parked pretty much exactly in the same place the Hyundai was parked. Compare the position of the right front wheels with that pothole/depression on the ground in front of them - if anything the Hyundai is a little further apart giving the Tesla a bigger gap, but there is only inches in it at most.

View attachment 874819

No need to make excuses. It is what it is - it was a fair test and Tesla failed in this case. Hopefully Tesla improves over time! Not that I'm ordering EAP anyway as it's pretty useless currently where I live, and even more useless without USS!
website states fir the reverse parking there have to be 3 white lines and it have to be minimum 2.2m wide

View attachment 874820

View attachment 874819

EDIT: In fact if I'm not mistaken the Tesla can't perform perpendicular parking as in this test anyway, so it didn't stand a chance! According to the user manual it requires to be able to see three clear lines to be able to recognise a parking space - it can't just park between two vehicles in unmarked spaces. I believe this is just the current state of the Vision autopark, while the old USS-only autopark could only park between two cars (needing them for reference) and couldn't park on empty but marked spaces at all. They just need to get the Vision USS replacement up and running then tie it all together so it can perpendicular park both between vehicles in unmarked spaces and in marked spaces with or without other vehicles present. Five years then :)
Agree with the EDIT, whether it's good or not Tesla switched in 2021 to using a vision approach for perpendicular parking, which needs clear lines to be visible. A positive is that it can now park in space without there being cars either side, it's a shame Richard didn't compare that as the 'between two cars' used to be very limiting before. Unfortunately, it would seem that many carparks near me are too worn or have different kinds of marking than those that Tesla likes, so it's still really more of a novelty than an everyday feature.

That's bullsh*t, and proof they don't really know what they're talking about. They've mixed up Tesla Vision disabling radar for Autopilot on 2022.24 with USS. There's no update disabling USS 'at this time', to quote Tesla's marketing crap.
While they did certainly make it a bit confusing, it is true that Tesla changed autopark a long time ago to use vision rather than USS, (and it was already the case when they did their last 'test' video). Here's some coverage from the time. First look at Tesla's new vision-based Autopark feature