Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20221118_141412.jpg

Today (in the Kona) I was reminded why we need USS. Low wall, backing into sun... couldn't really see wall clearly at all. Ultrasonic was very useful.

Btw, notice the cross traffic warning too, again, not effected by camera view.

Tesla version: system not available, camera obscured / blinded.

Last edited:
View attachment 875811

Today (in the Kona) I was reminded why we need USS. Low wall, backing into sun... couldn't really see wall clearly at all. Ultrasonic was very useful.

Btw, notice the cross traffic warning too, again, not effected by camera view.

Tesla version: system not available, camera obscured / blinded.

This is a legitimate point but also keep in mind that the Tesla AI engine doesn't look at things in the same color frequency range that humans do. It specifically looks at things in specific frequencies to maximize contrast so this might not be as much of a problem for the vision system as you think it is.

My personal suspicion is that Tesla did internal testing with mocked up software to prove to themselves that TV could be made as reliable as USS before the decision to pull the plug was made. There is a lot at risk for Tesla such as getting sued if there is property damage or injury when using the TV system if it does not work properly in scenarios just like the one you are describing.

• Funny
Reactions: Boza and pow216
As above, seeing as what the USA is like for suing people at a moments notice there would have been severe risk / loss calculations and discussions. It would have been far easier if it was a supply chain issue or cost saving to do something else. Like find an alternative supplier.

This is a legitimate point but also keep in mind that the Tesla AI engine doesn't look at things in the same color frequency range that humans do. It specifically looks at things in specific frequencies to maximize contrast so this might not be as much of a problem for the vision system as you think it is.

My personal suspicion is that Tesla did internal testing with mocked up software to prove to themselves that TV could be made as reliable as USS before the decision to pull the plug was made. There is a lot at risk for Tesla such as getting sued if there is property damage or injury when using the TV system if it does not work properly in scenarios just like the one you are describing.

I think it is common to all current (rear) cameras, but the lighting scenario in my picture is exactly when (in terms of what is displayed on the MCU display) the rear camera on my MS R LR performs worst. Bright light source crushes black level and all dark areas show as black.

This post

in a long thread about rear camera performance MCU1 Vs MCU2 would suggest there are limits to what the cameras 'see' that changed with newer hardware. Even now, the rear cam on my MS crushes blacks when there is a bright light source in an otherwise dim image. In any case, I think everyone will have seen 'camera blinded' message or camera (especially rear) covered in dirt while USS continues to work unaffected.

There are many times driving into the sun or with sun on b-pillar cam I get camera blinded message or have been driving on salted roads such the rear cam quickly gets totally obscured..... which doesn't help backing into supercharger bay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boza and MrBadger
Not sure what the frequency range of the rear camera is (possibly extending into IR - which is easy with most cameras) but fender cameras are pretty bad. For example, the red is almost completely missing, which leads me to believe that their frequency range is narrower than human eye (which is blinded in the example above).

As above, seeing as what the USA is like for suing people at a moments notice there would have been severe risk / loss calculations and discussions. It would have been far easier if it was a supply chain issue or cost saving to do something else. Like find an alternative supplier.

They'll be fine. Right now for cars without USS the features are simply disabled. When they roll out the Vision replacement they will just update the user manual with the necessary disclaimers - may not work in sun, rain, darkness, in blind spots, driver is responsible for everything, etc, etc.

Reactions: H43lio
They'll be fine. Right now for cars without USS the features are simply disabled. When they roll out the Vision replacement they will just update the user manual with the necessary disclaimers - may not work in sun, rain, darkness, in blind spots, driver is responsible for everything, etc, etc.

I understand the latest manual has been updated already to capture this. The wording has changed under Autopark.

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. But I have no USS (as advised when asked on live chat) and have never had any message about accepting it.
I wonder what happens if someone receives their car without USS and we're never told and they complain.

Will it be a case of "take it or leave it" even though the car doesn't have a feature that was specified when ordered or is there a clause in the T's and C's covering this?

I appreciate Tesla vision is the replacement but I was told on live chat it would be available once it "achieves performance parity with existing feature" so not available yet. (don't get me started on why they didn't achieve that parity first....!!)

There must be people out there who don't keep up with all things Tesla related that may not have heard about this.

And why have some folks been sent a message and asked to accept it and others not??

Just to be clear. I've made peace with the fact my car won't have them (in spite of dreaming last night about reversing a Tesla and not being able to make it stop reversing into a car behind. I kid you not) and am looking forward to getting my car next week.

• Funny
Reactions: DeejUK
Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. But I have no USS (as advised when asked on live chat) and have never had any message about accepting it.
I wonder what happens if someone receives their car without USS and we're never told and they complain.

Will it be a case of "take it or leave it" even though the car doesn't have a feature that was specified when ordered or is there a clause in the T's and C's covering this?

I appreciate Tesla vision is the replacement but I was told on live chat it would be available once it "achieves performance parity with existing feature" so not available yet. (don't get me started on why they didn't achieve that parity first....!!)

There must be people out there who don't keep up with all things Tesla related that may not have heard about this.

And why have some folks been sent a message and asked to accept it and others not??

Just to be clear. I've made peace with the fact my car won't have them (in spite of dreaming last night about reversing a Tesla and not being able to make it stop reversing into a car behind. I kid you not) and am looking forward to getting my car next week.
You may find Tesla sneaked in a change to their T&Cs prior to your order and the official announcement of the removal of USS. This has been planned for a while so it wouldn’t surprise me.

I guess that depends on who is making the call as to what represents parity!

Until the camera has self cleaning and becomes able to tolerate direct sun without being 'blinded' I don't see how true parity is achievable.
That was my concern. I made the point on the chat it would have made more sense to ensure it worked first. But the chat advisors clearly don't know much and are only working to a script.

You may find Tesla sneaked in a change to their T&Cs prior to your order and the official announcement of the removal of USS. This has been planned for a while so it wouldn’t surprise me.
I did wonder. But to be honest I've never properly read the T&C's before buying a car so I guess I only have myself to blame. But it feels like a d*ck move to tuck something like removing a feature (albeit temporarily) away in there.

Which again is a d*ck move. Many people have finance deals, have sold other cars and be aware that getting another car quickly might be a long process. Again probably all legal but....
Agreed but Tesla aren’t known for going out of their way to make their customers happy. If you are wanting some compensation as an outcome I’m not sure you are going to achieve that.

I'm not after compensation. I just feel a little sour about myself. Not enough to reject the car but a little. I'm hoping that will go once I get it and get out driving..!
Go out and enjoy, that’s the best way to get it out of your mind. Just be extra careful when parking, although it’s the wheels you need to be careful of and the USS doesn’t save you there anyway.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp