Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla warranty now has 8 year/infinite mile battery & drive unit warranty retroactive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But they have been charging 18k for the ones they have done so I'm not sure why you would expect them to upgrade yours for only 10k.

I think the reasoning is that Tesla replaced his battery pack under warranty, so the labor was already free. It would have required no additional labor to put in an 85 instead of a 60.

Although, I remember hearing that Tesla won't do a pack upgrade for any amount of money, anymore.

I think the reasoning is that Tesla replaced his battery pack under warranty, so the labor was already free. It would have required no additional labor to put in an 85 instead of a 60.

Although, I remember hearing that Tesla won't do a pack upgrade for any amount of money, anymore.

Even at Tesla labor rates it wouldn't have been 8k. But from that sounds of it Tesla has never officially wanted to do battery upgrades and may have started getting the service managers on the same page.

But they have been charging 18k for the ones they have done so I'm not sure why you would expect them to upgrade yours for only 10k.
The idea was that since my battery already failed, and was already removed, and they had 85's sitting right there, and wouldn't need to ship in a 60kW (of which Old Dominion Freight took 3 days to move the battery 40 some miles), I thought that would be fair. It was more then the cost difference if I would have had it done at factory. Would have been a $8k cost difference, compared to the 10k I would have paid. + I wasn't trying to swap a perfectly good battery. My failed battery was a failed battery regardless. And the replacement, was a refurb as I understand it anyways, so I would not have been eating up a new battery. Just thought it would have made everyone happy. I did go up the chain, but answer is no now :( It's too bad. Maybe in the future or if I can pull off my own swap somehow.

Last edited:
Tesla analyzed your Roadster, which you purchased as a pre-owned vehicle (not original owner), and found the battery to be fine. You weren't happy with Tesla's response, for some reason, and now that experience is coloring your perceptions moving forward. That's unfortunate, but not Tesla's fault.
No, I purchased a new Tesla Roadster in July 2010, had it serviced by Tesla, and purchased the extended car and battery warranty at 48,000 miles for 13,500 GBP (~22,500 USD).

Tesla acknowledge that I have done nothing wrong to my car but they do not agree that the battery issue (that I have had since at least 2011) is covered by the warranty. Every Roadster owner that has seen my logs believes my battery is faulty. One ex-Tesla employee believes my battery is faulty. I guess I will have to convince a judge that my battery is faulty.

8 weeks ago I would not have believed that Tesla would treat a customer with a warranty in this way... I'm sure I will not be alone.

Last edited:
...Tesla analyzed your Roadster, which you purchased as a pre-owned vehicle (not original owner), and found the battery to be fine. You weren't happy with Tesla's response, for some reason, and now that experience is coloring your perceptions moving forward. That's unfortunate, but not Tesla's fault..

You got Kevin mistaken for MY wife's Roadster... The thread that he reported HIS battery issue on was the one I started and am in the middle of working with the SC on to see what went in with CAC values and charging. We bought our car almost a year ago with an ideal 186 miles of range and now lucky to get 175 miles of range.

We picked up the car a day or so after its annual service and it only had 2224 miles, it's now closer to 12,000 miles in its first year and the range has dropped as low as 171 (it's now closer to 175 after we've tried some of the tips and tricks that other Roadster owners have shared on TMC.

As an owner of both Model S and CPO Roadster, I've spent a good amount of time getting stuff fixed by Tesla and am glad that they clarified the warranties for the Model S. However, it definitely looks like a situation of different classes for the treatment of owners of either a Roadster or Model S.

Tesla acknowledge that I have done nothing wrong to my car but they do not agree that the battery issue (that I have had since at least 2011) is covered by the warranty.
What is the issue in plain terms? How much of range/power capacity battery lost?

Every Roadster owner that has seen my logs believes my battery is faulty.
Tesla also seen your logs and said battery performance is within expected range. But screw logs, as a end user, how much range you lost? Or if there is power loss, how much it affected your 0-60?

Where is the language in Tesla's website or other official documents that explicitly or implicitly states that ?

+1

ESL here. Lease option clearly oriented toward businesses. Isn't it imply commercial use? Or there is a difference?

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the number of bytes downloaded.
Doh, forum claims I must spread reputation....

The standard warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles. The ESA extends that to 8 years/100,000 miles. That is bumper to bumper coverage. The battery/drive unit warranty is separate from the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Does anyone have a link to where the information on the standard warranty is on the Tesla website?

I found the ESA here: Tesla Service | Tesla Motors, but I couldn't managed find the standard warranty on their site.

No, I purchased a new Tesla Roadster in July 2010, had it serviced by Tesla, and purchased the extended car and battery warranty at 48,000 miles for 13,500 GBP (~22,500 USD).

Tesla acknowledge that I have done nothing wrong to my car but they do not agree that the battery issue (that I have had since at least 2011) is covered by the warranty. Every Roadster owner that has seen my logs believes my battery is faulty. One ex-Tesla employee believes my battery is faulty. I guess I will have to convince a judge that my battery is faulty.

8 weeks ago I would not have believed that Tesla would treat a customer with a warranty in this way... I'm sure I will not be alone.

My apologies, I confused you with another owner in that thread. Tesla should treat all of its customers the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have a link to where the information on the standard warranty is on the Tesla website?

I found the ESA here: Tesla Service | Tesla Motors, but I couldn't managed find the standard warranty on their site.

Right here, bottom of the middle column:

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs

What is the issue in plain terms? How much of range/power capacity battery lost?
The last full standard mode charge I did was on June 20th when my car broke down and was sent on a flatbed to the service centre. The Ideal range on that day was 157 miles, CAC 129, and ODO 55,411 miles.

When new my standard mode range was typically 180+ miles.

I return to the UK on Wednesday and will collect my car from Tesla after 8 weeks. I will publish a complete history of my Roadster ownership later this week so that people can make up their own minds.