Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here? [Resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could it be that the dealer bought the car and did not have FSD paid for but advertised it has FSD because Tesla made an error and give the car FSD when it shouldn't?
Can you ask the dealer to show what they paid for when they bought the car from Tesla?
It's a long thread, but if you look at Jalopnik article mentioned above that's pretty clearly not the case on this occasion. What the dealer paid doesn't matter. What they paid for and the fact that the car evidently had EAP and FSD (or at the very least EAP actually installed and running on the car) when they bought it at auction is what is being considered here, and by inference, at what point should certain major software-heavy features be a fixed, unalterable part of the car for present and future owners.

• Helpful
Reactions: Alset4S
You know, I feel for people that bought something based on incorrect information.
OTA updates have been a double edged sword for some time.
I am pretty confident that there is no legislation or significant case law to help anyone in this matter.
All 3rd party purchases should be presumed to have no software based upgrades.
Every used car purchase involves risk. This is a new risk in the modern world.
Tesla's fault? - that is a matter of opinion.

All 3rd party purchases should be presumed to have no software based upgrades.

If you mean 'paid upgrades and options added by previous owners should be stripped off cars or assumed to not exist at resale' then I strongly disagree, especially based on current business model.

Tesla have already made it clear that FSD is a fixed component linked to a VIN (except for when that doesn't suit them!). And so it should be for as long as it is sold / puchased in exactly the same way as a premium sound / entertainment option. If you bought a car with upgraded sound system - especially at auction, but under any circumstances - then unless specifically made clear prior to sale that the system is not included, then 'sold as seen' / 'as-is' means just that. The seller can't turn round after the sale and say 'hey, on reflection you didn't pay enough for the car to keep the fancy wheels and upgraded GPS, so I'm taking those back.

However, I'm not sure that for FSD this model makes sense. You need to try it out before you can know if you want to buy it or not, and a lot of what is promised does not yet exist and may never be possible due to both technical and regulatory issues. A subscription model, annual use fee or having the feature being tied to the purchaser rather than the vehicle would all make more sense. At least for an expensive, non-essential feature like FSD, any of these approaches would allow cars to be consistently sold at lowest cost / lowest software feature set avoiding confusion and giving buyers simplicity and honest pricing with no double-dipping from Tesla.

It is quite clear in my paperwork that I have FUSC as the first owner of the car and that this benefit does not follow the car when sold. FSD /HW3 are integral parts of my car, just like cold weather pack and premium options. They should never be removed from the car by Tesla under any circumstances, as that messes up vehicle history records, finance agreement balloon payments, Insurance values, resale values.....

Last edited:
If there is an inventory car you want to buy and you don't want FSD, you can have it removed,
I tried that in UK and was told not possible. Others here suggest same experience.

If Tesla were to remove FSD, how would you calculate the price reduction? Is there a fixed scale of credit for removing FSD?

More complex is that some model S MCU1 EAP cars that have had FSD added are unlikely to see full FSD benefits from what you can guess, so 'removing' FSD would make no difference to the car's features. It would be a discount for no loss in facilities. Clearly, Tesla want to forget about EAP, but those cars still had the EAP feature set and some were upgrade to FSD.

Has anyone got a price reduction for having FSD removed? How much? How was the amount calculated?

If Tesla will refund an FSD purchase price when selling a car, why not offer a refund to existing owners who don't want it anymore?

I tried that in UK and was told not possible. Others here suggest same experience.

If Tesla were to remove FSD, how would you calculate the price reduction? Is there a fixed scale of credit for removing FSD?

More complex is that some model S MCU1 EAP cars that have had FSD added are unlikely to see full FSD benefits from what you can guess, so 'removing' FSD would make no difference to the car's features. It would be a discount for no loss in facilities. Clearly, Tesla want to forget about EAP, but those cars still had the EAP feature set and some were upgrade to FSD.

Has anyone got a price reduction for having FSD removed? How much? How was the amount calculated?

If Tesla will refund an FSD purchase price when selling a car, why not offer a refund to existing owners who don't want it anymore?
My apologies, I should have been more clear. If you want to buy a NEW inventory car, they can/will remove FSD.

If you purchase something that means you own it and have the ability to sell it or pass it along to someone else. Tesla has no wording or binding phrases that states the software will be limited to the buyer only. Imagine a Tesla that is passed down to someone child and registered in their name but still in the family. As soon as it is registered in they child's name FSD is pulled but the car is still in the same house hold.

If you purchase something that means you own it and have the ability to sell it or pass it along to someone else. Tesla has no wording or binding phrases that states the software will be limited to the buyer only. Imagine a Tesla that is passed down to someone child and registered in their name but still in the family. As soon as it is registered in they child's name FSD is pulled but the car is still in the same house hold.

That's true for physical things but software is governed by licenses and there is no proof Tesla removed FSD from a car that has a valid license.

That's true for physical things but software is governed by licenses and there is no proof Tesla removed FSD from a car that has a valid license.
The software license issue and who owns it after purchase has already been through the court system with Farmers that sued John Deere. Tesla has already stated that the software with locked in with the VIN number.

Last edited:
My apologies, I should have been more clear. If you want to buy a NEW inventory car, they can/will remove FSD.
I would probably agree that (new) inventory not yet previously sold could have FSD removed (or rather never purchased / sold to end user). Not quite the same as a previously traded car suddenly losing pre-existing software features which is what this thread is about.

Reactions: Gixx1300R
I would probably agree that (new) inventory not yet previously sold could have FSD removed (or rather never purchased / sold to end user). Not quite the same as a previously traded car suddenly losing pre-existing software features which is what this thread is about.

But unless you have the MVPA for the original purchase you don't know if it was ever supposed to be on the car. We have seen plenty of reports of people having it removed from the car/MVPA at purchase but not have it actually removed from the car. And they aren't going to Tesla asking for that to be corrected. :rolleyes:

Reactions: outdoors and croman
But unless you have the MVPA for the original purchase you don't know if it was ever supposed to be on the car. We have seen plenty of reports of people having it removed from the car/MVPA at purchase but not have it actually removed from the car. And they aren't going to Tesla asking for that to be corrected. :rolleyes:
please post the evidence of those reports, I have not seen them.

between cutting prices of the cars and now removing features that were on when sold at auctions, easy to understand now why Carmax no longer sells Tesla. Too much hassle and risk of losing money between purchase price at auction and sale price to consumers

• Informative
Reactions: Gixx1300R

Sure, but this is a 2017. If that is the case, Tesla didn’t figure out the car was configured incorrectly in the 2 years the prior owner had it, AND they didn’t figure that out when they owned it during the lemon buy back before it went to auction. Now, when they sold the car at auction As Is with EAP and FSD, well, they just locked their mistake in to the next buyer, the dealer. They shouldn’t be able to pull it back after the auction sale.

Reactions: Geek190
If a bank accidentally puts someone else's money in your account you can't keep it. I know, what a world we live in....

LOL, that is not the same thing. The dealer paid at presumably market auction values for the car equipped with EAP and FSD as inspected during the auction process. So the dealer did pay for the features. Say the original owner got the 21” wheels for free due to a configuration error. Tesla later buys back the car and sells it at auction with the 21” wheels. Buyer pays market price for a car with 21” wheels. Tesla then realizes their mistake, can they go after the buyer for the cost of the wheels? The buyer would argue they DID pay for the wheels.

The story is no longer confined to this relatively small audience here. It's going mainstream.
Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice
What I found intriguing, the Jalopnik article says the all-too-common yellow border was what initiated the Lemon Law buyback.
Man, whatever store the original owner went to, the ownersure had better luck than us. Tesla will do better to just leave the feature on there, when they screw up and fail to remove it, and subsequent owners Discover it was pulled. It's taking so many years for the feature to eventually come into existence anyway - there's a chance the subsequent owner will sell to someone else. What has it been, 4 years now? I recall they offered it to us in 2016 when we got our S.

Reactions: Alset4S