Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Teslogic — Mobile Instrument Cluster for Tesla Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting the following popping up sometimes when I engage autopilot. It stays for quite a while rather than timing out as the usual message would. The number is always "205 mph", as if the car could actually go that fast!

View attachment 865765

Also, the speed number above "Max" still doesn't act correctly. It shows some lower value until the car's speed actually approaches that limit, then it snaps to the correct value and "sticks".
The reason why the MAX speed doesn't appear correctly is that that particular signal does not exist on CANbus at all. What they are pulling is the target speed used by the autopilot planner which changes constantly based on the environment. For instance, in curves you will see it drop while the max speed stays stable. The UI autopilot max speed seems to only exist on the ethernet bus that connects the MCU to the FSD computer. It is influenced by the MAX speed but is not the same.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
The reason why the MAX speed doesn't appear correctly is that that particular signal does not exist on CANbus at all. What they are pulling is the target speed used by the autopilot planner which changes constantly based on the environment. For instance, in curves you will see it drop while the max speed stays stable. The UI autopilot max speed seems to only exist on the ethernet bus that connects the MCU to the FSD computer. It is influenced by the MAX speed but is not the same.
I figured that was the case. My take is that the wrong number is worse than no number, so they shouldn't attempt to display it.

I figured that was the case. My take is that the wrong number is worse than no number, so they shouldn't attempt to display it.
Seems like it'd be fine as long as they document it as the 'AP dynamic targeted speed'.
As well it could be a toggleable option in setup (and/or long hold) for those that don't want it.
I've worked on UIs and it can be challenging for sure as you have a variety of users to please. If it annoys people or they can't conceptualize what it is then an option to turn it off could be useful.

Reactions: Stach
Yeah, that's why we don't show it in CANDash- either change the UI so it doesn't resemble what's in the center display or don't show it at all. Unless you've worked in autonomous vehicles, the idea of the software stack that goes from perception -> motion -> planning -> control is not a thing you should bother to expose to people unless you're debugging behavior of the 'ego' of the car.

• Helpful
@Kate:

I’m watching your dashboard product with great interest. At this moment it’s missing a few practical aspects, but below suggests a powerful display option I hope you’re interested in.

My interest, like many, is back-filling missing important driver information expected at the driver center dashboard and in their line of site. Many drivers express a need for “line of site” access to common information. Speed, headlight status, range, even outside temperature and etc. You have most of that handled nicely! You also do a VERY nice job in handling turn signal alerts and blind sport alerting. However, that doesn’t work unless the turn signal is on. This creates an awareness gap between Tesla and everybody’s else who uses full-time blind spot alerts in side-view mirrors.

There is a different way. Tesla provides a “traffic visualization display” modeling traffic surrounding the car. Such a display shown on a drivers dash display would be a tremendous advantage! Teslogic could keep the turn signal color alerts at display edges and even use part of the screen for common information.

This pushes display size needed to at least a larger sized phone. I suggest you develop support for a small tablet. The Fire 8 HD and/or the Samsung A7 Lite are inexpensive, appropriately sized, and would allow for a more permanent installation.

A few other comments/suggestions:
  1. Your website doesn’t mention or show the navigation screen that is mentioned in the video. I’d probably add that.
  2. Outside temperature is critical information for those of us in snow/ice area’s. May I suggest you add this to the main screen?
  3. High beam status would be nice on the main screen as well.
  4. If the main screen gets cluttered, HP and energy used information really isn’t needed or pertinent to a “main” screen. Nice to have, but more appropriate on other screens.

If you elect to consider these an want beta testers, let me know. I’d be happy to buy and test the product if it was heading in the above directions.

Thanks Kate!

-d

Reactions: Kate@Teslogic
@Kate:

I’m watching your dashboard product with great interest. At this moment it’s missing a few practical aspects, but below suggests a powerful display option I hope you’re interested in.

My interest, like many, is back-filling missing important driver information expected at the driver center dashboard and in their line of site. Many drivers express a need for “line of site” access to common information. Speed, headlight status, range, even outside temperature and etc. You have most of that handled nicely! You also do a VERY nice job in handling turn signal alerts and blind sport alerting. However, that doesn’t work unless the turn signal is on. This creates an awareness gap between Tesla and everybody’s else who uses full-time blind spot alerts in side-view mirrors.

There is a different way. Tesla provides a “traffic visualization display” modeling traffic surrounding the car. Such a display shown on a drivers dash display would be a tremendous advantage! Teslogic could keep the turn signal color alerts at display edges and even use part of the screen for common information.

This pushes display size needed to at least a larger sized phone. I suggest you develop support for a small tablet. The Fire 8 HD and/or the Samsung A7 Lite are inexpensive, appropriately sized, and would allow for a more permanent installation.

A few other comments/suggestions:
  1. Your website doesn’t mention or show the navigation screen that is mentioned in the video. I’d probably add that.
  2. Outside temperature is critical information for those of us in snow/ice area’s. May I suggest you add this to the main screen?
  3. High beam status would be nice on the main screen as well.
  4. If the main screen gets cluttered, HP and energy used information really isn’t needed or pertinent to a “main” screen. Nice to have, but more appropriate on other screens.

If you elect to consider these an want beta testers, let me know. I’d be happy to buy and test the product if it was heading in the above directions.

Thanks Kate!

-d
Like all the other dash devices and apps that use CANbus for data, the raw data for the vehicle surroundings doesn't exist on CANbus, as it is generated by the AP neural network, with a direct connection to MCU for rendering in the display. So while the way is indeed better, we're just monitoring the signals that the different domain controllers in the cars use to communicate. Since the vehicle environment is not of interest to a random body controller in the car, tesla doesn't put this data on CAN, at least not on the vehicle and chassis buses. Only the MCU has this data and it's a direct connection to AP for it. CAN is a very lightweight protocol, so it would be hard to encode this data anyway, it's just a bunch of 8 byte messages so think in terms of basic system data and state and nothing like a video feed or environmental data.

Even if you're not a hacker, you can get a sense of the types of signals here: model3dbc/Model3CAN.dbc at master · joshwardell/model3dbc

Well crud. (not really the works I'm thinking) You just had to go and give a perfectly lucid answer didn't you. Nicely done sir. Mind you I hope some clever soul finds a way, but you've certainly made a serious case for it not being likely.

One question: How is Teslogic able to mirror the nav screen?

Well crud. (not really the works I'm thinking) You just had to go and give a perfectly lucid answer didn't you. Nicely done sir. Mind you I hope some clever soul finds a way, but you've certainly made a serious case for it not being likely.

One question: How is Teslogic able to mirror the nav screen?
AFAICT they are not- they are just embedding Google Maps. I chose Android for candash because I could use dynamic layouts and split screen, so I can use it next to waze/gmaps/ABRP

Kate@Teslogic - I have had the Teslogic device since just after they became available and love. My only issue is with the turn signal indicators. When I turn on a signal for either direction all I get is green flashing and even the flashing is erratic sometimes flashing fast sometimes flashing slow. I have never had a red flash when using my turn signals even when there are vehicles alongside me. Is there an adjustment with Teslogic or with my 2022 M3P

Hi all!

We are developers of Teslogic.

As Tesla drivers, we felt uncomfortable with the lack of a dashboard in front of the eyes. This could be especially inconvenient on long trips. So we felt the need to do something about it and developed our own transmitter and the app. The transmitter connects to two can buses and turns a phone into a full-on instrument cluster.

You can see Teslogic in action in this video:

We’ve been testing the app for a year and, based on our own experience as Tesla users, we’ve designed the most interesting screens and functions:

• Main screen allows to track the current speed, autopilot modes, current trip distance, power and battery of your Tesla.​
  • Energy consumption screen shows a detailed picture of how different vehicle systems consume power. You can monitor power redistribution in real time and try to optimize consumption.​
  • Performance screen gives you all performance mode data regardless of your Tesla version. No need to buy any special device, you can check the dynamics acceleration and drag time at any moment.​
  • Car data screen displays all needed info about your car, most of which you can't find in Tesla's interface (actual condition of the battery, how much energy was received during the entire life of the car, how much was spent while parked, etc.)​
  • Navigation map screen based on Google Maps, which has much more up-to-date data than Tesla's maps.​
View attachment 819952

Some features that our customers find most useful:
  • All notifications are duplicated on your phone, no matter what screen you’re using at the moment.
  • Green turn signals are clearly visible on any screen. And if a car appears in a blind spot, the turn signal is highlighted with red, so you can feel more confident while driving.
View attachment 819953

Things we are often asked about:

• Teslogic works in two systems – imperial and SI. The application switches to the system used in Tesla's main interface.
• Installing the transmitter doesn't make any changes to the car equipment, so it won't affect the warranty in any way.

September update:
  • Low vision mode with enlarged interface elements and fonts. It will be convenient for drivers with glasses and anyone who wants to increase the comfort for the eyes. Definitely try it out, we use it ourselves!
View attachment 855051
  • Settings section – you can find it on the very left screen. What settings are currently available: day/night theme, routing type, screen changing options, low vision mode, font size in notifications, widgets side in navigation, nerd mode.
  • More useful notifications.

For the September update, we give TMC members a 10% discount. Use this code at checkout:

UPDATE10

The discount is valid for 5 days only (until Sep 26).
You can make an order on our website.

Appstore

Google Play
Kate@Teslogic - I have had the Teslogic device since just after they became available and love. My only issue is with the turn signal indicators. When I turn on a signal for either direction all I get is green flashing and even the flashing is erratic sometimes flashing fast sometimes flashing slow. I have never had a red flash when using my turn signals even when there are vehicles alongside me. Is there an adjustment with Teslogic or with my 2022 M3P

Update on the situation: we refunded the cost of the product and sent a new wiring that supports full FSD (the old one did not support). If someone has a problem with FSD, please write to our email [email protected] and we'll send you an updated wiring for free.
I do have FSD, and have not noticed any problems with having the Teslogic installed. But then I don't drive at night much. Is the updated wiring specific to certain years? (Mine is a 2019). What test should I run to see if I need the updated wiring?

I do have FSD, and have not noticed any problems with having the Teslogic installed. But then I don't drive at night much. Is the updated wiring specific to certain years? (Mine is a 2019). What test should I run to see if I need the updated wiring?
I don't think your 2019 had IR for the interior camera. Started mid-Aug 2021 apparently. See:
From JWardell Aug 4, 2021at another Tesla forum:
"Tesla added infrared LEDs over the in-cabin camera to assist the autopilot computer in identifying driving attention in dark environments in the 2021 refresh S&X.
Apparently it was added to 3/Y production a few weeks ago as well."
Youtube video on a person checking his with his phone camera:

I have an old android phone that is capable of running Teslogic. Is there any way to have the phone power on and run Teslogic when the phone receives external power?
The phone is 3G so it is pretty much useless for anything else. I'd like to be able to mount it permanently in my car.

I have an old android phone that is capable of running Teslogic. Is there any way to have the phone power on and run Teslogic when the phone receives external power?
The phone is 3G so it is pretty much useless for anything else. I'd like to be able to mount it permanently in my car.
You might try some of the ideas in this article: How to Add Startup Applications to an Android

You might try some of the ideas in this article: How to Add Startup Applications to an Android
Not all android phones support startup on power, but check out these directions I wrote for a Pixel phone: What you need to do is boot into fastboot mode and change the off-mode-charge setting.

Then you can use an app like Tasker to auto launch an app when the phone boots (or even when it gets power)

-n.

• Helpful
The app update will be released at the end of February. Regarding the "Saved km", this number may not change for many kilometers, especially if you use the brake pedal a lot.
I see that Google play says:
Updated on Feb 28, 2023

What's new
The major changes:
- Bug fixes with connection
- The ability to adjust speed limit threshold.
- HUD display mode.
- Different options for the range calculation. Teslogic range estimation is based on weather, terrain and your driving style. Tesla range estimation is also available.
- The ability to choose the location of notifications: at the bottom or at the top of the screen.
- Stop signal indicator: red strip that lights up at the bottom of the screen.
- High beam and Chill indicators.

Updated on Feb 28, 2023

What's new
The major changes:
- Bug fixes with connection
- The ability to adjust speed limit threshold.
- HUD display mode.
- Different options for the range calculation. Teslogic range estimation is based on weather, terrain and your driving style. Tesla range estimation is also available.
- The ability to choose the location of notifications: at the bottom or at the top of the screen.
- Stop signal indicator: red strip that lights up at the bottom of the screen.
- High beam and Chill indicators.
Updated on Mar 10, 2023

What's new
1.2.1 fixes:
- Freezes in some cases
- SpeedMAX calc

Reactions: Electrify2022
How long does it take to connect now? I'd given up on teslogic due to the connection delays/issues and uninstalled the dongle. Is it worth trying again?
It connects within a few seconds of opening the app. The app was freezing which was annoying. I love using the Teslogic app, it give me more information about the car and better. Especially the batter degradation and number of charges.

• Helpful