Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s the average configuration to VIN assignment timeframe for you Texas folk? I’m in Houston and configured on 2/22, non-owner. Trying to estimate my delivery timeframe for vacation planning.

It's been about 6 weeks configure to VIN with 2 weeks then roughly for delivery going back to the January configurations. Those configurations were however right in the middle of Tesla figuring out how to manage Texas deliveries. The process may or may not be quicker for later configs... but then there was the whole February production downtime issue to calculate against.

Yes. I saw a red, a black, and a white one sitting out there.

They said that some guy was on the lot of the SC and prep center taking pics of all the VINs and cars so they’ve gone to a more stealthy approach and all VINs are now covered and they only hold the one taking delivery that day or next onsite. Probably why I didn’t see it on Sunday.

Can’t wait to hear some other Dallas stories. Seems the team is working crazy hard as deliveries mount in Dallas.

I was at the Dallas SC this morning. I counted nine Model 3s waiting for delivery. Here are the VINs:
Vin #7902
Vin #5092
Vin #5521
Vin #5766
Vin #4964
Vin #7091
Vin #6125
Vin #5514
Last Vin was blocked.

Condition of most seemed fine. No panel gaps or scratches that I could see! One had a roll of duct tape on the seat and several areas of the interior were duct taped on. None had any kind of exterior protection.

There were also a bunch of S and X there on the lot. Maybe 30 of them. Hard to tell how many were new vs. in for repair.

Reactions: kendallas
I was at the Dallas SC this morning. I counted nine Model 3s waiting for delivery. Here are the VINs:
Vin #7902
Vin #5092
Vin #5521
Vin #5766
Vin #4964
Vin #7091
Vin #6125
Vin #5514
Last Vin was blocked.

Condition of most seemed fine. No panel gaps or scratches that I could see! One had a roll of duct tape on the seat and several areas of the interior were duct taped on. None had any kind of exterior protection.

There were also a bunch of S and X there on the lot. Maybe 30 of them. Hard to tell how many were new vs. in for repair.

Nice!!! Yea they said a HUGE rush was coming in for the rest of the week and I got extremely lucky to get in and also be taking it alone as they are moving to group orientations and deliveries.

I am so happy for everyone that this is happening!!!!

Nice!!! Yea they said a HUGE rush was coming in for the rest of the week and I got extremely lucky to get in and also be taking it alone as they are moving to group orientations and deliveries.

I am so happy for everyone that this is happening!!!!

I am hoping that we get follow up from all nine of these lucky people. For each VIN, please report your pick up date; were there any issues requiring further work. I am already wondering why some of them have apparently been held so long (i.e #4964 which must have been made a while ago....)

Vin #7902
Vin #5092
Vin #5521
Vin #5766
Vin #4964
Vin #7091
Vin #6125
Vin #5514
Last Vin was blocked.

Colors and wheel sizes? Waiting on M3 white with 19". 3 weeks since config. No vin yet.

What’s the average configuration to VIN assignment timeframe for you Texas folk? I’m in Houston and configured on 2/22, non-owner. Trying to estimate my delivery timeframe for vacation planning.
It seems that 4-6 weeks for VIN, then 2-4 weeks for delivery is current trend (based on my wonky brain)... but that may be accelerated, if they've figured out the Texas issues (whatever they were).

I'll cross my finger for you that it comes soon!

It seems that 4-6 weeks for VIN, then 2-4 weeks for delivery is current trend (based on my wonky brain)... but that may be accelerated, if they've figured out the Texas issues (whatever they were).

I'll cross my finger for you that it comes soon!

If it makes you feel better, Northern California is looking like we have a similar issue. I'm at more than 4 weeks with no VIN, and live very close to the Tesla Fremont factory. I've seen VINs going out like gangbusters to East Coasters who configured on 2/14 and later who already have delivery dates scheduled.

Just heard from Chris. Delivery scheduled for 3/20 at 11 a.m. This is taking into account the max shipping and prep time in Dallas, so it could move up. We'll see.

So that makes my timeline:
Ordered 2/11
VIN 3/2
Delivery 3/20 3/17

Anyone else who got a VIN recently, Chris also said there were five other 3s coming to Dallas on the same truck as mine.

EDIT: Spoke too soon! He just called back and said we could move it up to the 17th. So 11 a.m. on the 17th it is!

Last edited:
Anyone in Austin waiting for a 3? Get 'em while they're fresh

Attachments

• IMG_20180307_150314.jpg
    IMG_20180307_150314.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 75
Every time I see a picture of a Red Multi-coat it grows on me a little more.

But I wasn't particularly impressed when I saw it on the showroom floor, does it do better in natural lighting?

It was top 3 in terms of color for me and when I saw it in person it dropped out. It looks great in pics and the 3 looks fantastic in that color but in person I wasn't too impressed.

A color that has really stood out is Silver. Not a silver car kind of guy but the 3 looks amazing in that color with the sport wheels. Also I wasn't a fan of the white in pics but wow it is beautiful in person. Almost a matte white with just enough brilliance to it.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
It was top 3 in terms of color for me and when I saw it in person it dropped out. It looks great in pics and the 3 looks fantastic in that color but in person I wasn't too impressed.

A color that has really stood out is Silver. Not a silver car kind of guy but the 3 looks amazing in that color with the sport wheels. Also I wasn't a fan of the white in pics but wow it is beautiful in person. Almost a matte white with just enough brilliance to it.

I like the red, although I've only seen it in person on the X and S (assuming those are the same red). It definitely looks different depending on the lighting situation, but I like that too. Maybe someone in Dallas will get a Red one and I'll see it around before I get to configure.